New USPS changes from the new Trump appointed Postmaster General seem designed to just destroy the post office

10 minutes ago, chakoo said:

This country got robbed from having P/VP Warren. -.-

I'd be satisfied with tossing out Chuck the Schmuck and making her Senate majority leader—it's probably a more effective role for her anyhow, in terms of the actual amount of power the two positions have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I'd be satisfied with tossing out Chuck the Schmuck and making her Senate majority leader—it's probably a more effective role for her anyhow, in terms of the actual amount of power the two positions have.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Treasury secretary. That's where the real power is!

why dont we have both GIF

Susan Collins Engineered the USPS Disaster She’s Now Protesting

As it turns out, Collins is actually one of the members of Congress most responsible for the Postal Service’s devastation. Long before DeJoy started manipulating the USPS, Collins was at the forefront of a bill that crippled the agency’s finances.

In 2005, she sponsored and introduced legislation, the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA), that required the USPS to pre-pay the next 50 years worth of health and retirement benefits for all of its employees—a rule that no other federal agency must follow. As chair of the Senate oversight panel at the time, she shepherded the bill’s passage, along with her House GOP counterpart Tom Davis, during a lame-duck session of Congress. It passed by a voice vote without any objections—a maneuver that gave members little time to consider what they were doing.

To meet the mandate for prefunding USPS’s health and retirement benefits, the measure required the Postal Service to place roughly $5.5 billion into a pension fund every year between 2007 and 2016, followed by sizable additional payments, making it impossible for the institution to run a profit. To make it even harder for the USPS to make money, the law prohibited the agency from any new activities outside of delivering mail. In an essay for the Washington Monthly last year, New Jersey Congressman Bill Pascrell, who voted for the bill, called it “one of the worst pieces of legislation Congress has passed in a generation.”

Wait...why did Pascrell vote for it?

• Guillotine 1

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I read the article linked, and he does say it passed without objection before saying it was a blunder. I just skimmed it, but I didn't see a specific reason why he voted yes since he regrets it now.

I mean they named it the Accountability and Enhancement act for a reason, they weren't going to name it what they were actually going to do like the Neutering and Dismemberment act.  That coupled with how fast they moved this through with the voice vote ensured that it was a "bipartisan" effort.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Amazon delivers their own packages or use someone other than USPS.

I dunno if you see the amazon prime vans driving around, they are already ahead of it.

USPS delivers tons of Amazon stuff still. Lots of articles for you to read about USPS and their “last mile” service for Amazon and even FedEx. Amazon has really manipulated the USPS program.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

USPS delivers tons of Amazon stuff still. Lots of articles for you to read about USPS and their “last mile” service for Amazon and even FedEx. Amazon has really manipulated the USPS program.

They've manipulated the USPS program...by utilizing the service USPS provides? :confused:

The formula by which the postal service sets rates for parcels was set by congress in the 2006 law that required the postal service to prefund 75 years worth of pension and health care costs. Maybe that law needs to be revisited. But because this area of business is subject to competition the costs the USPS charges for these services can only go so high before Amazon/UPS/FedEx can swoop in with other business.

A lot of people here won't like this proposal, but we could always grant the USPS a monopoly on small package delivery, or whatever the technical mail term for that may be, to force more business into the USPS. This in addition to postal banking, other pilot programs to create new revenue, and reform of how the USPS funds it's pensions and health care obligations would shore up the system for time to come.

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Separate from any other shenanigans, USPS should indeed charge Amazon much more to deliver their packages.

While it seems we don't know the exact details of the Amazon deal (which I feel like we should), from what I can tell USPS does deliver a whole lot for Amazon, but it's unlikely they lose money doing so.

It's not clear to me at all that Amazon has manipulated the USPS in any way. The USPS is a business with enormous capacity and very high fixed costs. Amazon's deliveries are largely very short distances from fulfillment centers. Even at a very low price to Amazon, the further utilization of those sunk costs could make the deal worthwhile.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

While it seems we don't know the exact details of the Amazon deal (which I feel like we should), from what I can tell USPS does deliver a whole lot for Amazon, but it's unlikely they lose money doing so.

It's not clear to me at all that Amazon has manipulated the USPS in any way. The USPS is a business with enormous capacity and very high fixed costs. Amazon's deliveries are largely very short distances from fulfillment centers. Even at a very low price to Amazon, the further utilization of those sunk costs could make the deal worthwhile.

I hate to be that guy, but USPS is not a business. It’s a government agency and an establishment of the executive branch. :) 

For work, we have to send a letter via certified mail to the city every month for permit compliance.  I take it to the post office where the PO box is located.

I dropped it off at the post office on the 14th.  It is now the 19th.  IT HAS NOT BEEN DELIVERED TO THE DAMN PO BOX IN THAT VERY POST OFFICE.

1A8a4KZ.png

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

DeJoy lied, the deconstruction continues:

He needs to be brought up on charges.

Congress needs to nail his balls to the wall. I hope states push hard on their lawsuits and get him thrown in jail where trump can't pardon him. 

11 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The issue is the infrastructure that USPS has and the purpose of the public post office is not meant to subsidize the business model of a company like Amazon. USPS has to operate in a way they otherwise wouldn’t to satisfy the demands of Amazon, and they currently don’t charge what the market would dictate for the services they offer to Amazon.

Like everything else, Amazon takes advantage of a service not meant for them and should pay a higher rate. USPS could even create a new class of mail for big companies using USPS as their distribution channel.