New USPS changes from the new Trump appointed Postmaster General seem designed to just destroy the post office

33 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Postal service is perfect for electric jfc

DeJoy gonna DeJoy, and honestly Oshkosh doesn't even make sense to make this vehicle, its nothing like what they make which is exclusive heavy duty military or specialized trucks.  In short we gave a company that builds armored vehicles and firetrucks a 6 billion dollar contract to make a light duty mail carrier that hasn't even finalized their blueprints for the vehicle while promise they can all be converted to EV in the future (lol).

38 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I endorse the duck truck design, but apparently the current plan is to only have about 10% of them be electric, which seems absurd.

All DeJoy. He's complaining that going all electric would cost an addition $3-4b and USPS won't have the money for it.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

All DeJoy. He's complaining that going all electric would cost an addition $3-4b and USPS won't have the money for it.

Hes not wrong though, he may even be on the low end of that estimation

At 4 billion , thats around 120k per post office. Because no 2 are the same or even remotely close it turns into a nightmare of design and engineering alone. Now add in the fact that these buildings are already surrounded by other buildings means either paying out the ass to buy surrounding property  or building a remote facility to house the charging stations and equipment. Our leaders need to nut up and spend the money on it and plow forward, this is a shitty half step that wont get completed.

16 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Hes not wrong though, he may even be on the low end of that estimation

At 4 billion , thats around 120k per post office. Because no 2 are the same or even remotely close it turns into a nightmare of design and engineering alone. Now add in the fact that these buildings are already surrounded by other buildings means either paying out the ass to buy surrounding property  or building a remote facility to house the charging stations and equipment. Our leaders need to nut up and spend the money on it and plow forward, this is a shitty half step that wont get completed.

If this was legitimately a budget issue, he could have gone to Congress for a case why he needed more money. 

I would also be shocked if the charging issues are such that only 10% of the replacements can feasibly be electric. 

But apparently the manufacturer picked doesn't really make sense for this contract so wouldn't shock me if DeJoy is just grifting here. 

I read today that mail trucks are HALF of the federal vehicle fleet so this is a HUGE deal and is not something we should just be giving DeJoy in particular the benefit of the doubt on. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

If this was legitimately a budget issue, he could have gone to Congress for a case why he needed more money. 

I am sure it is but he simply doesnt give a fuck enough to ask for it, its just an excuse not to. Its horseshit

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

I would also be shocked if the charging issues are such that only 10% of the replacements can feasibly be electric. 

Unfortunately we can only guess as to why the 10% :(

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

But apparently the manufacturer picked doesn't really make sense for this contract so wouldn't shock me if DeJoy is just grifting here. 

It only makes sense because the of motor retro fit, in essence because of the 1/2 ass choice to not use all EV they 1/2 assed the contractor choice

Each van is costing about 40k 

All_New_Ford_E_Transit_02.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Ford is hoping to beat competitors to market when this van goes into production in 2022.

This already completed and likely meets 99% of the USPS delivery van needs, there is no need to design any thing had they done this right

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I read today that mail trucks are HALF of the federal vehicle fleet so this is a HUGE deal and is not something we should just be giving DeJoy in particular the benefit of the doubt on. 

The fact hes still a deciding figure is fucking mind blowing, he should have zero input on this.

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

126 mi of range seems like ass considering how many batteries it could hold.

It can hold more ford just used this as a baseline from testing. 

That may seem paltry when compared to long-range EVs like Tesla, Lucid, and others. But Ford says it made this decision based on 30 million miles of real-world driving telematics of its non-electric Transit customers “to deliver the right amount of range based on fleet needs.” Based on that analysis, Ford determined that the average daily mileage of a Ford Transit customer was just 76 miles.

Even it required modding it , everything else is done . The parts will be readily available for servicing is another bonus vs having a custom van .

9 hours ago, SimpleG said:

It can hold more ford just used this as a baseline from testing. 

That may seem paltry when compared to long-range EVs like Tesla, Lucid, and others. But Ford says it made this decision based on 30 million miles of real-world driving telematics of its non-electric Transit customers “to deliver the right amount of range based on fleet needs.” Based on that analysis, Ford determined that the average daily mileage of a Ford Transit customer was just 76 miles.

Even it required modding it , everything else is done . The parts will be readily available for servicing is another bonus vs having a custom van .

Lets say you're a USPS driver. You are in your brand new electric Ford Transit. You pull up to a mailbox. In your Ford Transit van you are sitting on the left, because its a standard left-hand drive vehicle. What do you do? Get out on the traffic side and walk around the vehicle to the mailbox? Try to slide over to the passenger side and roll down the window? What if the mailbox is too high? Too low? Do you open the door? What if you've parked too close and can't get the door open?

Mail trucks are right-hand drive and have a sliding door for a reason. Just to throw out some completely random numbers, a mail truck that has 300 stops and you had to add just 30 seconds to each stop because of the extra time it takes because of the Ford van, you've now made that route 2.5 hours longer.

Add in the fact that USPS trucks operate extensively in residential areas making visibility incredibly important, hence the large open windshield. Suggesting to just replace the fleet with standard commercial vans just shows an incredible lack of understanding of how the mail is delivered. 

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes. The presumptive winner for months now has been a company called “Workhorse”. They are challenging the decision and want details as to why the chosen company got the contract. I also heard that this has to be approved in congress and even they’re pretty “wtf?” about it.

Take a look at $WKHS stock and watch it crash upon the decision then spring back to life a day later. I have no position with the company but it’s been interesting to watch from the sidelines.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

Lets say you're a USPS driver. You are in your brand new electric Ford Transit. You pull up to a mailbox. In your Ford Transit van you are sitting on the left, because its a standard left-hand drive vehicle. What do you do? Get out on the traffic side and walk around the vehicle to the mailbox? Try to slide over to the passenger side and roll down the window? What if the mailbox is too high? Too low? Do you open the door? What if you've parked too close and can't get the door open?

Mail trucks are right-hand drive and have a sliding door for a reason. Just to throw out some completely random numbers, a mail truck that has 300 stops and you had to add just 30 seconds to each stop because of the extra time it takes because of the Ford van, you've now made that route 2.5 hours longer.

Add in the fact that USPS trucks operate extensively in residential areas making visibility incredibly important, hence the large open windshield. Suggesting to just replace the fleet with standard commercial vans just shows an incredible lack of understanding of how the mail is delivered. 

I’m confused here, why wouldn’t they make a right hand drive version of the Ford Transit EV for USPS? Was it stated somewhere that they wouldn’t? Also, wouldn’t the actual delivery vehicle just be based on the Ford Transit EV and not actually the Ford Transit EV?

Add in the fact that USPS trucks operate extensively in residential areas making visibility incredibly important, hence the large open windshield. 

This vehicle was one of 3 presented to the government for this contract, Ford already has this all worked out . 

2021-Ford-Transit-Exterior-010-Front-Thr
WWW.POSTALTIMES.COM

Things haven’t been going so well for those familiar-looking Grumman Long Life Vehicles the United States Post Office uses to deliver the mail day in and day out.

Left hand side are you fucking kidding me ? 

Ford-Logo.jpg
THENEWSWHEEL.COM

Ford topped UK sales in 2019 for passenger cars and commercial vehicles, marking a respective 43 years and 54 years of dominance.

Suggesting to just replace the fleet with standard commercial vans just shows an incredible lack of understanding of how the mail is delivered. 

Some one has lack of understanding in this discussion but it aint me 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m confused here, why wouldn’t they make a right hand drive version of the Ford Transit EV for USPS? Was it stated somewhere that they wouldn’t? Also, wouldn’t the actual delivery vehicle just be based on the Ford Transit EV and not actually the Ford Transit EV?

They already do so its a non argument

Ford-Transit_Bev-eu-22_FRD_TRN_51580_BEV
WWW.FORD.CO.UK

A new Transit is coming and this electric van is built to be as tough, capable and versatile as ever. Find out more about the new Ford E-Transit here.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

They already do so its a non argument

Ford-Transit_Bev-eu-22_FRD_TRN_51580_BEV
WWW.FORD.CO.UK

A new Transit is coming and this electric van is built to be as tough, capable and versatile as ever. Find out more about the new Ford E-Transit here.

Yea, I wasn’t understanding the argument as I figured they were or are planning to sell the EV Transit in right-hand drive countries anyway, or, the actual contracted company (Oshkosh) would just convert them. 

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes. The presumptive winner for months now has been a company called “Workhorse”. They are challenging the decision and want details as to why the chosen company got the contract. I also heard that this has to be approved in congress and even they’re pretty “wtf?” about it.

Take a look at $WKHS stock and watch it crash upon the decision then spring back to life a day later. I have no position with the company but it’s been interesting to watch from the sidelines.

The whole thing feels like a massive grift. 

59 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I had a few shares based on advice from a friend. I’m still up after the crash, but the amount I have invested isn’t a big deal either way. My friend on the other hand has lost 8k from the crash. Shit is rough.

37 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

This vehicle was one of 3 presented to the government for this contract, Ford already has this all worked out . 

2021-Ford-Transit-Exterior-010-Front-Thr
WWW.POSTALTIMES.COM

Things haven’t been going so well for those familiar-looking Grumman Long Life Vehicles the United States Post Office uses to deliver the mail day in and day out.

Left hand side are you fucking kidding me ? 

Ford-Logo.jpg
THENEWSWHEEL.COM

Ford topped UK sales in 2019 for passenger cars and commercial vehicles, marking a respective 43 years and 54 years of dominance.

Some one has lack of understanding in this discussion but it aint me 

Look at Fedex trucks, look at UPS trucks. Why do you think they're designed the way they are? All you're doing is looking at the Ford option and saying its cheaper and you have no real explanation on why it fits the very specific needs of the USPS. 

The point is to look at the design of a standard UPS or FedEx truck and that of the USPS truck. Wide open cab, big sliding door for access in the front. These design choices didn't get conjured out of thin air. Your argument in favor of USPS going with the Ford Transit is that its a standard design that would be cheaper to purchase and maintain, but you haven't made any argument that it can handle the workload that the USPS requires. I'm not saying the Oshkosh deal is good, but more goes into this than just what is cheap and available.

2 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

The point is to look at the design of a standard UPS or FedEx truck and that of the USPS truck. Wide open cab, big sliding door for access in the front. These design choices didn't get conjured out of thin air

That is one of designs they use but they also use the standard transit or ones with little modification. 

7 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Your argument in favor of USPS going with the Ford Transit is that its a standard design that would be cheaper to purchase and maintain, but you haven't made any argument that it can handle the workload that the USPS requires

You made my argument for me

You: See Fed Ex and UPS style

Me: Ford Transit ?

You: Well....

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

:demut:

I know it right

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I had a few shares based on advice from a friend. I’m still up after the crash, but the amount I have invested isn’t a big deal either way. My friend on the other hand has lost 8k from the crash. Shit is rough.

Yea, I debated on investing at around $17-20/share, glad I didn’t. At this point, I’d hold - with the stock spiking back after Workhorse announcing they’re trying to fight it, there’s a chance (slim) that it comes back.