New USPS changes from the new Trump appointed Postmaster General seem designed to just destroy the post office

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

We really need to be able to vote electronically. Every legal voter gets a code, opens a voting account, then vote while sitting on your ass at home. Obviously there would still be voting stations so those who choose to vote in person. 
I’m guessing far more would actually vote, and im positive it could be made secure. This country is so ass backwards. 

plus, as an added bonus, the breitright’s heads would explode. 

I disagree.  There absolutely needs to be a physical paper trail.  Electronic systems are too vulnerable to trust.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Electronic voting is a terrible idea. Anyone wanting that doesn't remember our own history or technology enough to be making such a determination

If Wall Street can figure out trading billions of dollars a day online, im absolutely sure secure electronic voting can be figured out as well. 

and to be clear, im not saying we should be doing it by November, im saying we should be working on it. 

Wall Street and corporations spend billions in computer fraud and phishing training, and there's still failures! This leads to data ransoming and compromised internal networks.

Now put this in the context of an election where the data ransoming by a state actor, like say Russia (I hate doing this) in coordination with a domestic political party, could random the election data (modified or not) in exchange for recognition for Russian annexation of Crimea. A dumb example, but it's clear what my point is here.

I mean, Gerry Connolly has been sounding the alarm for months and just over the weekend (before Pelosi called the house back) he tweets this: 

He's not just some back bencher here either, he's the chairman of the oversight subcommittee that's responsible for the USPS (and my congressman, not for nothing).

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

I’ve used a ballot drop box for every vote in my life.

It’s near the customer service counter in my local grocery store, and fixed to the ground in a giant metal apparatus with a padlock.

Are you suggesting the guy who thinks you need an ID to buy groceries doesn’t know how voting works??? :p 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Are you suggesting the guy who thinks you need an ID to buy groceries doesn’t know how voting works??? :p 

It's super frustrating when these Trumpers get on the air and spout off their conspiracy theories about mail in voting and the interviewers do not actually challenge them.  There are a number of safeguards in place for absentee/mail in voting, which are easily sourced, so it boggles my mind when they aren't discussed during these interviews. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It's super frustrating when these Trumpers get on the air and spout off their conspiracy theories about mail in voting and the interviewers do not actually challenge them.  There are a number of safeguards in place for absentee/mail in voting, which are easily sourced, so it boggles my mind when they aren't discussed during these interviews. 

But if they're mean to the guests they might not come back and then what will they fill the airtime with? :silly:

• Like 1

FWIW, there are voting systems already designed that are clear, give you a receipt that someone else can't decipher by seeing it, but which allows you to verify that your vote counted through an online system. In many ways, the work is already done.

But there is no chance in hell we'll ever get effort for a good system in place. The government is too fucked and corrupt for that to happen any time soon.