New USPS changes from the new Trump appointed Postmaster General seem designed to just destroy the post office

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Yeah, I end up having to give the board a break from time to time because people's minds are taking in crack and LSD at once with a side of salvia where everyone has thought up every worst case scenario that'll take place until the heat death of the universe, and it's exhausting.

I love this board and this community and no other place for politics comes close to the camaraderie. But I can't read all this with any frequency. :p 

It's been really, really bad lately. Tucker Carlson is definitely going to be president in 2024. Not sure how because Trump is also definitely going to win a third term. Also, the US is not going to exist in 20 years.

I'm going to blame it on quarantine lol.

36 minutes ago, Joe said:

It's been really, really bad lately. Tucker Carlson is definitely going to be president in 2024. Not sure how because Trump is also definitely going to win a third term. Also, the US is not going to exist in 20 years.

I'm going to blame it on quarantine lol.

What did @Kal-El814 say about 2016? It broke a lot of people?

In 2018 the treasury department couldn't prove that Amazon is getting a deal that the USPS is losing money on. By law the competitive services business, i.e. package delivery, must not lose money, and rates, volume, and $$ keep going up.

There are ways that Amazon benefits from the USPS, though, specifically with them having to deliver to every address in the US. Last mile rural delivery can be relatively unprofitable and is the same cost as urban and suburban delivery where Amazon is displacing third party delivery services. Urban and suburban delivery is also where the vast majority of deliveries take place, and any increase in cost to Amazon may end up costing more in volume and $$ in these areas than gained from a cost increase because Amazon is both a customer and competitor. The USPS can't have a two tiered cost system because congress has mandated flat rates. Fwiw, ups and FedEx do the same thing.

If you want to fix the USPS, you have to have congress do so. They need flexibility in how to generate revenue from non-postal activities (postal banking for example), which congress has mandated they can't do, they need flexibility in how to cost rural delivery to large customers, which congress has mandated it can't do, and it needs flexibility or loosening of it's onerous requirements in how it funds it's pension and health programs for retirees, which congress has mandated it can't do. Or have congress make at least some package delivery a monopoly for the USPS. Otherwise the design of the post office is to subsidize rural delivery with profitable urban and suburban routes. And having a customer who is also a competitor on the profitable routes undercuts this model, but again, this isn't a fault of the USPS, but on congress and Amazon respectively.

DeJoy Says USPS Won’t Reinstall More Than 600 Removed Mail Sorting Machines

“Will you be bringing back any mail sorting machines that have been removed?” Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) asked DeJoy during a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security & Government Affairs Committee.

“There is no intention to do that,” DeJoy testified. “They are not needed.”

USPS plants were ordered to remove 671 mail sorting machines that can efficiently process thousands of pieces of mail by the end of September. More than 90 percent of the machines have already been removed—and won’t be replaced.

It's probably going to come down to this: First, is there any law that states the USPS has to deliver items by a certain date? If not, then can the PMG change their targets and operations as they see fit? Second, unless the PMG explicitly states the goal is to alter the result of the election, does intent even factor in if they have the authority to make such operation changes?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Which is completely empty considering they can count on Moscow Mitch never bringing it up for a Senate vote. 

The Kentucky GOP base in EKY and WKY absolutely depend on the USPS. It'd be a dunker for anyone with talent to oppose mitch but they've got McGrath so my hopes aren't up

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

lol, i'm still so confused how he got the idea that absentee is different than regular mail in ballots.

There is a difference between absentee balloting which requires a person to specifically request it, and universal mail in balloting where a ballot is automatically sent to all registered voters.

While I don’t suspect there is much difference in end result with regards to fraud, they aren’t the same and one certainly carries more risk.

But the underlying issue for Trump and co is actually just that more people will legally vote with universal mail in balloting. They aren’t actually concerned about fraud, obviously.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Lying to Congress is perjury. Lock him up!

You would have to actually define what it means to communicate with the campaign. Seems like a pretty easy dodge, tbh.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Uh, no you don't. "Yes" and "no" cannot both be true no matter what definition you use.

Yes, because the question asked was about communication with the campaign, it wasn’t “have you spoken to anybody affiliated with the Trump campaign”. Very different questions.