New USPS changes from the new Trump appointed Postmaster General seem designed to just destroy the post office

26 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I will drop off my absentee ballot this year.

I've been doing the drop off option since I moved to California, other than the first time I voted here—I hadn't realized I was signing up for a mail-in ballot when I registered while transferring my license (apparently a relatively common occurrence when people transfer their license to CA) and didn't want to risk it getting lost in the mail even five years ago. After that first time though I found out about the drop-off option and just dropping it off at my polling place on election day is what I've been doing since. There's always a fuckton of shit to vote on in California so it's nice that it gives me time to fill in the ballot as I have time to research the various things on the ballot.

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I actually do like voting in-person on election day so I can mock/insult/fight the supporters of the candidates I'm voting against.

I fondly remember the line I was in where someone came up and started spouting some libertarian garbage and the whole line told him to buzz off (by insisting that he was beyond the line of permitted canvassing no matter how far back he went).

Exclusive: Postal service inspector general reviewing DeJoy's policy changes and potential ethics conflicts

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/politics/postal-service-inspector-general-reviewing-dejoy/index.html

The internal watchdog at the United States Postal Service is reviewing controversial policy changes recently imposed under Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, and is also examining DeJoy's compliance with federal ethics rules, according to a spokeswoman for the USPS inspector general and an aide to Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who requested the review.

Warren is on the case!

This might be the most distressing thing about Trump's presidency for me. We have one side that doesn't even feel the need to pretend they give a shit about fair elections and another side that only cares enough to act like they give a shit without doing much of substance. What's the path forward?

Just now, mrbiggsly said:

This might be the most distressing thing about Trump's presidency for me. We have one side that doesn't even feel the need to pretend they give a shit about fair elections and another side that only cares enough to act like they give a shit without doing much of substance. What's the path forward?

world louis GIF

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason said:

I've been doing the drop off option since I moved to California, other than the first time I voted here—I hadn't realized I was signing up for a mail-in ballot when I registered while transferring my license (apparently a relatively common occurrence when people transfer their license to CA) and didn't want to risk it getting lost in the mail even five years ago. After that first time though I found out about the drop-off option and just dropping it off at my polling place on election day is what I've been doing since. There's always a fuckton of shit to vote on in California so it's nice that it gives me time to fill in the ballot as I have time to research the various things on the ballot.

I'm also a mail in ballot drop offer. When I moved they only sent me mail in ballots but I always take them to the polling place. How else am I going to get my sticker?

Oh my fucking god. They're not just removing the mail sorting machines, they're fucking junking them. 

The title of the presentation, as well as language used in the notice to union officials, undermines the Postal Service’s narrative that the organization is simply “mov[ing] equipment around its network” to optimize processing, as spokesperson Dave Partenheimer told Motherboard on Thursday. The May document clearly calls the initiative an “equipment reduction.” It makes no mention of the machines being moved to other facilities. And the notice to union officials repeatedly uses the same phrase. Multiple sources within the postal service told Motherboard they have personally witnessed the machines, which cost millions of dollars, being destroyed or thrown in the dumpster. USPS did not respond to a request for comment.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkyv4k/internal-usps-documents-outline-plans-to-hobble-mail-sorting

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

That's more than anyone else has done so far!

I got shredded on reddit with "what do you want them to do, they can't override Trump's veto without the Senate" bullshit when I suggested that they should be holding wall-to-wall televised oversight hearings instead of staying on recess for another month.

Just now, Jason said:

I got shredded on reddit with "what do you want them to do, they can't override Trump's veto without the Senate" bullshit when I suggested that they should be holding wall-to-wall televised oversight hearings instead of staying on recess for another month.

Under my regime, reddit would be shot.

• Like 1