~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Honestly, I am about done even living in the world. Between idiots that refuse to understand the concept of how a mask works to help prevent people from getting sick to the local school district knowing keeping a pedophile on as the high school principal (police report was filed any everything but while they didnt have enough to press charges the deputy noted that he was concerned but the actions of the principal, but that is another story). I am just starting to run out of the will to live. At this point I have seen my son graduate and take his first steps into manhood, I can't teach him much else and am proud of the person he has become. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Do u know where you’re going when u die?  Lol. Man, I wish someone said this shit to me but alas, I live in Toronto. Not nearly enough “Christians” here.  I would love to just rant how they are basically devil worshipers and go against every one of Jesus’ teachings.  You like guns, Satan loves em.  You hate minorities, Satan’s got your back. You voted for Trump and are a member of a party that taxes the common folks and gives breaks to the rich, baby Jesus is crying.  I mean I’d go into better details then that(turn thy cheek and such) but u get the idea.

46 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Do u know where you’re going when u die?  Lol. Man, I wish someone said this shit to me but alas, I live in Toronto. Not nearly enough “Christians” here.  I would love to just rant how they are basically devil worshipers and go against every one of Jesus’ teachings.  You like guns, Satan loves em.  You hate minorities, Satan’s got your back. You voted for Trump and are a member of a party that taxes the common folks and gives breaks to the rich, baby Jesus is crying.  I mean I’d go into better details then that(turn thy cheek and such) but u get the idea.

This is a conversation I've had multiple times and it doesn't work. Let me summarise it.

Do you believe the Bible is unerring? Yes

Do you believe this is a Christian nation? Yes

Do you believe the laws should reflect that? Yes

Did Jesus say "For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’"? Yes

Should we, as a Christian nation, do those things that Jesus explicitly says not doing will leave you "cursed" and thrown into the "eternal fireprepared for the devil and his angels"? No, because then people will get lazy and we can't afford it and blah blah blah racist/middle/upper class garbage

These people don't actually care.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is a conversation I've had multiple times and it doesn't work. Let me summarise it.

Did Jesus say "For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’"? Yes

Should we, as a Christian nation, do those things that Jesus explicitly says not doing will leave you "cursed" and thrown into the "eternal fireprepared for the devil and his angels"? No, because then people will get lazy and we can't afford it and blah blah blah racist/middle/upper class garbage

Ding ding ding.

The tail ends of those conversations for me have occasionally ended with someone saying, "the devil can cite scripture for his purpose." When I've asked where it says that, they say, "the bible."

28 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I know:tired:  

I still would love to rant regardless 

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ding ding ding.

The tail ends of those conversations for me have occasionally ended with someone saying, "the devil can cite scripture for his purpose." When I've asked where it says that, they say, "the bible."

But that’s exactly what they are doing!!!

urghhhhh, guess you can’t argue with stoopid 

In Texas over a 40% of deaths yesterday were in one county (Hidalgo) which has a population of around 800k people. The death toll there was greater than the death toll of the 5 largest counties combined, which those clock in at around 12 million people. Insane.

4 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Satan loves guns?

sorry, but even those arguments don’t hold up, the bible is so contradictory that you can find reasons for and against everything.

But there’s nothing in the bible about god or jesus being against weapons, let alone guns that didn’t exist at the time. And there’s definitely passages allowing you to defend yourself.

i know evangelicals, they can find passages that excuse their hate, and you can find some that condemns it. Buf I can tell you now, you will never change an evangelicals belief. For us, to get from A to B, theres steps, we work through it and come to a conclusion. A1 to A2 to A3, and all the angles until we get to B. 

For evangelicals, there is none of that. Its just “I believe B, so that’s obviously true, and god’s on my side, you’re wrong.”

Belief is rarely from education, in fact, its often in spite of education. 

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ding ding ding.

Oooo...I've heard that one a couple of times. That's said because in Matthew 4, the devil quotes one of the songs from Psalms to temp Jesus into throwing himself off a roof.

The real answer is that, when pressed to send folks home because the disciples don't have food or money to feed a large multitude of people, God performed a miracle to feed the masses because Jesus felt he had a responsibility to feed the hungry that were right in front of him, so why wouldn't he expect the same from us. When they respond that Jesus was a special case, the next reply to them is that Jesus tells the disciples in John 14 that they'll perform greater miracles than he ever did.

It's at that point that they'll mumble that you don't know what you're talking about and try to end the conversation there.

In my, I just respond that my father was a minister for 20+ years before he died, I taught a Bible history class for late highschool/early college and was the lead pastor got the children's ministry with my wife for our local church for like 7 years.

That's when they really don't have an answer and just say we can talk about it some other time.

It's infuriatingly fun.

Few things get my eyes rolling harder than attempts by anyone to ascribe any part of the Bible within our modern political/economic/social context.

The key factor that seems to be forgotten (especially by "liberals" who insist on using Christ's teachings to "own" conservative Christians) is that Christ was pretty much TOTALLY UNCONCERNED about what happens in this world.  His focus was nearly exclusively on the next life, with this life merely being a "means to an end".  As a result, it's pretty much a fool's errand to start categorizing his teachings within a political spectrum.

Alright, I'll bite: if you want to give Christ a modern political leaning, he was clearly a libertarian.  That "render unto Caesar" thing is pretty much a quasi-libertarian position, because at no point does Christ even remotely suggest that "doing good works" should be compulsory. 

10 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Few things get my eyes rolling harder than attempts by anyone to ascribe any part of the Bible within our modern political/economic/social context.

The key factor that seems to be forgotten (especially by "liberals" who insist on using Christ's teachings to "own" conservative Christians) is that Christ was pretty much TOTALLY UNCONCERNED about what happens in this world.  His focus was nearly exclusively on the next life, with this life merely being a "means to an end".  As a result, it's pretty much a fool's errand to start categorizing his teachings within a political spectrum.

Alright, I'll bite: if you want to give Christ a modern political leaning, he was clearly a libertarian.  That "render unto Caesar" thing is pretty much a quasi-libertarian position, because at no point does Christ even remotely suggest that "doing good works" should be compulsory. 

Wrong. It's very clear in the Bible that Jesus wanted to cut capital gains taxes.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I agree. I don't think Jesus as he's described in the Bible would have wanted anything to do with the government. He had no interest in any of that.

However, since modern Evangelicals in this country insist that the country should be run as a Christian nation, I really do want then to explain what that when looks like. Nobody ever has answers for that outside of banning the gays and getting rid of abortion.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

In Texas over a 40% of deaths yesterday were in one county (Hidalgo) which has a population of around 800k people. The death toll there was greater than the death toll of the 5 largest counties combined, which those clock in at around 12 million people. Insane.

What do they attribute that to? What's the demographic breakdown?

29 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Seriously, why even do this? Alabama just mandated masks. Trump finally wore a mask (once). It's not even the party line anymore that you have to pretend like they don't work.

Because Georgia is trending purple and one way to halt that is let the virus wipe out the black and brown people that are the cause of that.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It's spreading like wildfire in smaller communities, even here. Even though big cities are denser, maybe people in smaller centres just hang out later together more often?