~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 5/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, Jason said:

I got an email on my work account that out of about 1,500 people who live near one of our officse, they got about 1,250 responses on their vaccine survey, and 74 percent are already fully vaccinated and 22 percent have received at least one dose or plan to be vaccinated within a month. Only 4 percent said they don't plan to get vaccinated at all (lol dummies). Which works out to at least 80 percent fully vaccinated by early June, presumably higher accounting for the non-responders and some people who responded after the survey had closed. Which is reassuring to know for whenever they end the mask requirement in the offices, although they said they're planning on just keeping it in place for now.

A bunch of bars around here officially just don't give a shit anymore. We're supposed to be at 25% capacity, a couple bars in my neighborhood were absolutely packed with people tonight, nary a mask in sight. We had multiple groups of 8+ people try to come in tonight.

The care is gone.

My first shot yesterday gave me a pretty sore arm/shoulder. My second shot is on 6/18 and I'm worried I'll get bad side effects. I know it's better than getting covid but for some reason this has me concerned.  😟 

I guess I'm a big baby...

Mental illness might be a bit strong.  I for one have managed to do 100% of my job to the exact same degree without going into my office and just working in the field, and I’m trying to not go back in as much as possible.  Not because I’m super worried about getting sick although having kids too young to be vaccinated that’s certainly in the back of my mind for them.  Mostly I'm saving an absolute fuckton of money not having to pay for daycare every day and if I don’t have to come in the office to get the same amount of work out of me why bother?

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
210521173705-07-ugc-cnnphotos-joanne-sup
EDITION.CNN.COM

For all the people who are clamoring to get back out in the world post-vaccine, there are plenty who are saying, "nope...

Some mental illness developing as a result of being sectioned off from society for a year+

The pandemic didn't change my life at all tho. 👀

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Good that these variants are taken care of by existing vaccines, but with each new variant leading to a continual reduction in efficacy were absolutely going to need boosters for the foreseeable future if we don't reach covid zero worldwide.

This is just my own analysis so take it with a “movie theater owner” grain of salt: I don’t think there has been any real drop, and this will shake out in research over the next year or so. It continues to be difficult to compare these things because the situations aren’t static, and there are even regional differences due to issues like percentage of population with infection derived immunity.

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Mental illness might be a bit strong.  I for one have managed to do 100% of my job to the exact same degree without going into my office and just working in the field, and I’m trying to not go back in as much as possible.  Not because I’m super worried about getting sick although having kids too young to be vaccinated that’s certainly in the back of my mind for them.  Mostly I'm saving an absolute fuckton of money not having to pay for daycare every day and if I don’t have to come in the office to get the same amount of work out of me why bother?

I am with you that there are things post pandemic that I’ll continue doing because things have allowed for changes in the way society operates and that is a good thing.

But this article is not describing that, largely. Several are explicitly describing mental illness that either began or was made worse during the pandemic. It’s tragic stuff. I hope the scale is relatively small.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I think that we'll find 60% is not enough for herd immunity. The reason cases dropped in the UK and US was vaccination + restrictions (whether mandated or people following best practices).

The good news is that most people ending up in hospital now are those who have not been vaccinated. The bad news is that there are some people who can't be vaccinated, so we need strong herd immunity to protect them. I'm not confident the US will get there, though I hope Canada will.

Everything these people say now is just these sort of mad libs sentences constructed from various grievances they have. Why would George Washington have a mask on a hundred years before germ theory existed? Doesn't matter. He just kinda spun the wheel in his head and it came up on

GRIEVANCE: LIBS TOLD ME TO WEAR MASK

APPEAL TO PATRIOTISM: GEORGE WASHINGTON

11 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Everything these people say now is just these sort of mad libs sentences constructed from various grievances they have. Why would George Washington have a mask on a hundred years before germ theory existed? Doesn't matter. He just kinda spun the wheel in his head and it came up on

GRIEVANCE: LIBS TOLD ME TO WEAR MASK

APPEAL TO PATRIOTISM: GEORGE WASHINGTON

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

People at work keep talking about the heavy metals in the vaccine and someone just posted a picture of themselves sticking one of those credit card fridge magnets to their arms after getting the shot.

The dumbest (viral) misinformation are reasons people justify their positions and political views.

I've heard of that, though haven't seen it myself. I'm sure it's either a simple explanation, or a trolling/fake video. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I've heard of that, though haven't seen it myself. I'm sure it's either a simple explanation, or a trolling/fake video. 

In my personal experience, this lady at work used one of those flimsy fridge magnets (that barely stick to a fridge in the first place) which probably just stuck to her arm from the moisture or friction.  But she posted a picture of it on Facebook so now there's proof!  And people are using it as confirmation bias.

The only reason a few people at work are getting the vaccine is because if you show management your card you don't have to wear a mask, which is certainly a major convenience since the building is not climate controlled.  But most people are still not getting it or on the fence, and I've heard from their very mouths the following excuses:

1. (joke) The microchip! 

2. (joke) Going to mutate our DNA and grow a(nother) penis!

3. (serious) Magnet sticks to my arm now!  Chip or heavy metals?

4. (serious) Long term side effects are unknown.

5. (serious) Just don't trust it.  Government control forcing us to take the vaccine.  Freedom!

After getting my shots and waiting the 2 weeks for it to take full effect, I was set on wearing the mask to cover that 5% chance.  But one thing changed my mind.  The first day we allowed fully vaccinated people to go maskless, someone starts a conversation with me (I was still wearing my mask as it had not been the full 2 weeks yet) saying, "Man a lot of people here are still wearing their masks.  I guess that goes to show you how much you can trust it."  So I've decided to take that small chance and go maskless in hopes of portraying some semblance of social pressure that it is indeed OK and safe to get the vaccine.  We also screen people who enter the building and there is no penalty for missing work for being sick right now, so those are other factors helping my decision too.

Oh and somehow a few people who refuse to get the vaccine are trying to say those who go maskless are bullying them.