~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Some people feel lousy for a few days, other people feel no symptoms at all.  IMHO, a few days of feeling lousy is well worth the health benefits of being vaccinated.

I agree. I'll just have to take it like a champ if I do get side effects. 

21 hours ago, Joe said:

You’re such a Karen.

He's better than me... the last time I was on a plane in the fall and the guy in my aisle had his mask tucked under his chin, I told him myself  to put it back on when I got up to go to the bathroom. Luckily he had it on when I got back.

On another note, just watched the CDC director on State of The Union just now, apparently there have been 200-something DEATHS from fully vaccinated people who have had breakthrough infections after being vaccinated. She did say that that is a very small percentage of totally vaccinated people nd that some of those deaths were due to other things besides Covid.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Every major event in Toronto has been cancelled between now and Labour Day.

So much for, "we'll all be back to normal by Canada Day".

I think that's more out of inability to plan than inability to host. We are fairly certain that life will be back to sort-of-normal by July/August (especially as far as outdoor events go). But how certain? Certain enough for non-profit festivals to risk spending all their money to buy and prepare things, only for the event to be cancelled at the last second, and potentially go bankrupt? This is risk management. There might only be a 5% or 10% chance that government doesn't allow some things to happen in August/September...but if that occurrence would permanently harm an organization, they aren't going to take that chance.

F4ITENFWPEI6XJP6XNE5ZCNCJA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

A major blunder threatens to set back much of the progress made against the pandemic.

But that’s very different from announcing that vaccinated people can take off their masks because, without verification of vaccination, this would inevitably lead to the end of mask mandates. That’s not scientific guidance — that’s a major policy decision to shift the entire direction of the United States’ pandemic response. Arguably, this was the single biggest decision that the Biden administration has made on covid, yet senior administration officials learned about the CDC’s planned change only the night before, and the president himself didn’t find out about it until the morning of the announcement.

This was an astounding strategic and tactical mistake. It will have lasting repercussions unless the White House steps in to clean up the CDC’s mess. As a start, the administration should clarify that while vaccinated people are generally not at risk, the unvaccinated are still at high risk. Therefore, if there is no reliable way to verify vaccination status, indoor mask mandates must still remain in place. At the same time, the administration should define region-by-region criteria for when such mandates can be lifted — for example, when 70 percent of a community is fully vaccinated.

But a decision on something as overarching and consequential as ending mask mandates should have been directed from the very top, by the president himself. Biden needs to course-correct, now. If he does not, the existing confusion could harm Americans’ health, prolong the pandemic, and paradoxically diminish confidence in the CDC and its ability to safeguard the public’s health.

Only 37 of adults are fully vaxxed. :SARS-CoV-2:

52 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Gestational dibeetus?

Yeah .. it's extra tough since your numbers aren't totally in your control. 

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yikes. It's all I can do to get her to eat anything. Thank goodness she's pregnant over summer cause melons are basically the only thing she can eat and not be sick

Still first trimester? The only stuff my wife could take was not great to hold off the 'beetus. Now it's almost unending hunger. 

8 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Still first trimester? The only stuff my wife could take was not great to hold off the 'beetus. Now it's almost unending hunger. 

If the doc will prescribe it, get her a Freestyle Libre continuous glucose monitor. So much more useful than finger stick tests!

48 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Just entered the third. First trimester she couldn't drink water because it made her sick so we had to get so much propel

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm getting the Moderna shots and this has me paranoid. I really hope my side effects aren't like that. :s

You'll be fine, and even if you do develop side effects, for nearly all of us, it was only for a single day.  The symptoms I had were strong fatigue, body aches, especially in my legs (I'm a runner), nausea, and a fever that almost got to 100.  Even though I describe it as a bad flu, not having a sore throat like in a typical illness makes it a heck of a lot easier to manage.  Tylenol was a huge help for me, and a few hours before I went to sleep, the symptoms started to subside drastically.  After that, it was just mild fatigue for a few days and a somewhat sore arm.

• Thanks 1

Given the combination of infection derived immunity and still steadily increasing vaccine derived immunity, it is highly probable the US will never see a 7 day average higher than this week again. 

39 minutes ago, vaxick said:

You'll be fine, and even if you do develop side effects, for nearly all of us, it was only for a single day.  The symptoms I had were strong fatigue, body aches, especially in my legs (I'm a runner), nausea, and a fever that almost got to 100.  Even though I describe it as a bad flu, not having a sore throat like in a typical illness makes it a heck of a lot easier to manage.  Tylenol was a huge help for me, and a few hours before I went to sleep, the symptoms started to subside drastically.  After that, it was just mild fatigue for a few days and a somewhat sore arm.

Yea, I hear Tylenol is key. I'll manage and hope for the best. Like you said, it will only be a day maybe two at worst. 

34 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The effects of the vaccine aren't as bad as getting covid

Exactly.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

wowza

We are now dealing with a disease with infection and fatality rates below that of the worst parts of even mild flu seasons  due to the vaccination program. A massive accomplishment.