~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

My province has reached the target for Stage Two of re-opening. Basically it goes like this:

Stage One - Three weeks after hitting 70% of 40+ pop with at least one dose - set for May 30 (currently at 76%)

Stage Two - Three weeks after hitting 70% of 30+ pop with at least one dose, or three weeks after Stage One (whichever is later) - set for June 20 (currently at 70%)

Stage Three - Three weeks after hitting 70+ of 18+ pop with at least one dose, or three weeks after Stage Two - set for ??? (currently at 63%)

The nice part of the re-opening plan is that it is based on measurable metrics that encourage people to get vaccinated. The downside is that it doesn't take case or hospital loads into consideration. Theoretically if we're three weeks past 70% of the 18+ having received at least one dose then we should be pretty good on case count, etc...but it should have still been included. Most of the changes at each stage are gathering sizes and restaurant limits, etc. Mask mandate stays in place through all stages—it will be the last thing to be removed, likely not until mid-July or August.

Only bad news is that now that we are starting second dose vaccinations, the single-dose numbers are starting to slow as doses are re-allocated. Still going up, though! Here's a chart I make daily for my provincial and city subreddits:

kRwsnYx.jpg

As expected, uptake of vaccination drops the lower the age group. However, those lower age groups also have to compete with stragglers from the higher age groups, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. While only 50% of people aged 30-39 have received a first dose, it's still rising at about 1% per day.

25 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

This basically proves that Canadians are dumb as fuck and the only reason they don’t dominate the politics is because there aren’t enough of them 

5 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

amended

Pickering is currently represented by a Liberal MP. Liberals currently form the government in Canada. Are people who vote Liberal “dumb-as-fuck”?

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Booooooooooooooooooooooo

I love that you hate this on an exactly mirror image of how much I love it ❤️

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I love that you hate this on an exactly mirror image of how much I love it ❤️

I mean it’s probably fine, but like why did he delay in the first place to only drop it two weeks later? He just looks dumb now.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I mean it’s probably fine, but like why did he delay in the first place to only drop it two weeks later? He just looks dumb now.

Biden should have made Wolensky wait to announce until they briefed all the governors and have a unified push, with consistent messaging.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Biden should have made Wolensky wait to announce until they briefed all the governors and have a unified push, with consistent messaging.

None of the Republican governors would have gone along with this. 

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

None of the Republican governors would have gone along with this. 

25 or so states representing a solid majority of the Nation’s population is better than literally all 50 states doing things however they want on the issue.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I can guarantee that most of the people there did not vote Liberal. 

Young people at a suburban car rally, where people are doing donuts in the parking lot with highly modified import cars in a riding that was more than 50% Liberal?  Not really Andrew Scheer's base.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Cloth masks are basically theater. I said this many months ago, but one of the unfortunate effects of the masking debate in America is it made people believe that doing risky behaviors was fine so long as they were wearing a mask of any sort. Whooops!

Wow, I knew masks weren't an impenetrable shield, but they only buy an extra 5 minutes!? I guess that's still helpful for running into a store with the public, but for social gatherings it ain't going to matter... Distance and outside seem to be the biggest protections until you get the shot.

4 minutes ago, Gavin King said:

Wow, I knew masks weren't an impenetrable shield, but they only buy an extra 5 minutes!? I guess that's still helpful for running into a store with the public, but for social gatherings it ain't going to matter... Distance and outside seem to be the biggest protections until you get the shot.

Also mechanical HVAC filtration seems to be ignored when we should be requiring it to prepare for the next airborne pandemic

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Cloth masks are basically theater. I said this many months ago, but one of the unfortunate effects of the masking debate in America is it made people believe that doing risky behaviors was fine so long as they were wearing a mask of any sort. Whooops!

5 minutes ago, Gavin King said:

This is what most epidemiologists have been saying throughout the pandemic.  Cloth face masks don't make it safe to do risky behaviour.

They have been, however, extremely useful at reducing the spread of Covid for relatively short interactions -- as wearing a face mask is a very low cost intervention.

22 minutes ago, Gavin King said:

12 minutes.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Young people at a suburban car rally, where people are doing donuts in the parking lot with highly modified import cars in a riding that was more than 50% Liberal?  Not really Andrew Scheer's base.

Polling in Canada shows that people who are anti-mask (and generally not taking as many precautions) are far more likely to be (in order): PPC, CPC, GPC, NDP, LPC. That's not to say some didn't vote LPC...but my honest guess is that most people at this sort of event didn't even vote in 2019 to begin with.

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also mechanical HVAC filtration seems to be ignored when we should be requiring it to prepare for the next airborne pandemic

Absolutely.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This is what most epidemiologists have been saying throughout the pandemic.  Cloth face masks don't make it safe to do risky behaviour.

They have been, however, extremely useful at reducing the spread of Covid for relatively short interactions -- as wearing a face mask is a very low cost intervention.

Check this out:

Wearing masks reduced spread of the virus by 37% in schools, and using good HVAC reduced it by 39%. Interestingly (if you read the thread), the most expensive measures (plastic barriers, etc) were the least effective, and possibly even harmful due to lowering ventilation/circulation. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Polling in Canada shows that people who are anti-mask (and generally not taking as many precautions) are far more likely to be (in order): PPC, CPC, GPC, NDP, LPC. That's not to say some didn't vote LPC...but my honest guess is that most people at this sort of event didn't even vote in 2019 to begin with.

This wasn't a bunch of middle-aged anti-maskers.  This was a bunch of young suburbanites in their late teens/early 20s having a car rally in Eastern Toronto.  Polling also indicates that people in that demographic are far more likely to vote GPC/NDP/LPC.  My original point was a retort to the suggestion that this was a bunch of right-wing Trumpists flouting the rules.  It wasn't.