~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

So Italy is on lockdown, Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy aren't doing live audiences indefinitely, E3 is likely (all but confirmed?) cancelled, GDC was postponed due to most companies canceling their appearances, Ireland canceled St. Paddy's Day parades, cruise ships are being quarantined, congresspeople are self-quarantining, stocks are plummeting, investors are panicking, some representatives are telling their state health department to stop controlling the narrative of the local departments, oil prices are tumbling, the travel industry is taking a hit, mclumber1 just posted that the NY Auto Show is canceled/delayed, and governors in both parties are doing press conferences and continuing to talk to journalists about their plans for dealing with COVID-19.

This is why people blaming the media for overhyping it confuse me. Isn't it hard not to cover all of this?

The US can't even do drive-thru tests properly...

https://gizmodo.com/drive-thru-coronavirus-testing-opens-in-colorado-but-pa-1842259439

Colorado is offering drive-thru tests, but you need a doctor's note to actually get tested. Also, since they're going to be validating the doctor notes and checking ID against them, they expect long lines. Also, also, cars with multiple occupants all need their own doctors' notes. Also, also, also, they'd like everyone to know there are no bathroom facilities so maybe just don't even bother showing up?

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The US can't even do drive-thru tests properly...

https://gizmodo.com/drive-thru-coronavirus-testing-opens-in-colorado-but-pa-1842259439

Colorado is offering drive-thru tests, but you need a doctor's note to actually get tested. Also, since they're going to be validating the doctor notes and checking ID against them, they expect long lines. Also, also, cars with multiple occupants all need their own doctors' notes. Also, also, also, they'd like everyone to know there are no bathroom facilities so maybe just don't even bother showing up?

Clearly this system just works

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

So Italy is on lockdown, Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy aren't doing live audiences indefinitely, E3 is likely (all but confirmed?) cancelled, GDC was postponed due to most companies canceling their appearances, Ireland canceled St. Paddy's Day parades, cruise ships are being quarantined, congresspeople are self-quarantining, stocks are plummeting, investors are panicking, some representatives are telling their state health department to stop controlling the narrative of the local departments, oil prices are tumbling, the travel industry is taking a hit, mclumber1 just posted that the NY Auto Show is canceled/delayed, and governors in both parties are doing press conferences and continuing to talk to journalists about their plans for dealing with COVID-19.

This is why people blaming the media for overhyping it confuse me. Isn't it hard not to cover all of this?

IndyCar race this weekend and Rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAA Tourney next weekend as well.

For the non-wrestling fan, WWE is essentially running 5 straight shows from 4/2-4/6. A lot of indy and international promotions also come in and piggyback by running smaller venues in the area.

It is possible for some people to be overreacting to COVID-19, while others are underreacting.

Taking actions to mitigate the spread of the disease make sense.  Cancelling unnecessary gatherings of people who will be travelling from all over the world makes a lot of sense.  Buying excessive amounts of toilet paper, hoarding surgical masks and avoiding restaurants in areas where the virus has not yet had community spreading does not.

Wash your hands frequently, actively avoid touching your face, and keep your distance from people who are coughing/show other signs of being sick.  And remember, most of us are more likely to die in a car accident today, than from COVID-19.

12 minutes ago, 69los said:

IndyCar race this weekend and Rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAA Tourney next weekend as well.

For the non-wrestling fan, WWE is essentially running 5 straight shows from 4/2-4/6. A lot of indy and international promotions also come in and piggyback by running smaller venues in the area.

Shit, I wonder what would happen if WM was canceled. When I went 8 years ago, I was majorly hyped for months, and that would be a huge downer for fans and a blow to WWE, I would think.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It is possible for some people to be overreacting to COVID-19, while others are underreacting.

Taking actions to mitigate the spread of the disease make sense.  Cancelling unnecessary gatherings of people who will be travelling from all over the world makes a lot of sense.  Buying excessive amounts of toilet paper, hoarding surgical masks and avoiding restaurants in areas where the virus has not yet had community spreading does not.

Wash your hands frequently, actively avoid touching your face, and keep your distance from people who are coughing/show other signs of being sick.  And remember, most of us are more likely to die in a car accident today, than from COVID-19.

I don't think anyone here is telling people they should buy toilet paper en masse or hoard surgical masks. In fact, I do not believe anyone is saying that.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This is technically correct.

It also reminds me of "142 Plane Crash Victims Were Statistically More Likely To Have Died In A Car Crash" :p 

WASHINGTON—Following last week’s deadly crash of United Airlines flight 9753, which claimed the lives of 137 passengers and five crew members, the National Transportation Safety Board announced Wednesday that the victims were actually far likelier to have perished in an automobile accident. “Although these individuals died tragically, it’s important to remember that their flight was 80 times less likely to kill them than if they had driven to their destination,” said NTSB chairperson Deborah Hersman, adding that their horrific deaths were “almost a statistical impossibility” when compared to highway travel. “In actuality, these people were 11 times more likely to die crossing the street than in the terrifying onboard fire and subsequent 10,000-foot free fall that took their lives.” Hersman concluded by reaching out to the victims’ families, stating that she sincerely wished they would have been able to see 24 of their loved ones eventually die of violent heart attacks, 20 waste away from cancer, and one or two commit suicide, as would be expected of a random 142-person sample.

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

I don't think anyone here is telling people they should buy toilet paper en masse or hoard surgical masks. In fact, I do not believe anyone is saying that.

That doesn't change the fact that my local Walmart is sold out of toilet paper, and my local Home Depot has been sold out of drywall dust masks for months.

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

This is technically correct.

It also reminds me of "142 Plane Crash Victims Were Statistically More Likely To Have Died In A Car Crash" :p 

Yup.  People are bad, in general, of assessing risk.  They are more likely to panic over new/novel risks -- and underreact to those that happen everyday.

Coronavirus case reported at Toronto mining conference that Justin Trudeau attended

Ontario has confirmed a case of the novel coronavirus likely from community spread at a mining conference that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attended.

A man in his 50s tested positive for the virus after returning from the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada’s conference in Toronto, Public Health Sudbury and Districts in Northern Ontario said in a statement.

The conference ran from March 1 to 4 and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke at the conference on March 2. The event is one of the largest mining conferences in the world with thousands of attendees from dozens of countries.

Dr. Penny Sutcliffe, Sudbury’s Medical Officer of Health, said there is no need for attendees to self-isolate at this time.

“Our focus is on breaking the chain of transmission to limit the spread of infection and as a precautionary measure, we are asking those who attended PDAC 2020 to monitor for symptoms for 14 days,” says Dr. Sutcliffe. 

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Thing is you don't know there's been community transmission until... There's been community transmission and testing confirmed.

And to get official testing done in a non-hot spot area in the US is going to be a very delayed affair... 

16 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Nothing truer written on the topic

My entire team has worked remotely for years now, made possible by Zoom and Slack! Remote work doesn't work well when it's just one or two people vs a whole team together, because they get neglected. But when everyone is doing it remotely it works quite nicely for a lot of stuff.

Forbes: Psychology Research Explains Panic Over Coronavirus - And How You Can Calm Down

#1: Things that are easily imagined are judged as more likely to happen.

….

#2: Intuition is mostly a blessing. In cases like these, it can be a curse.

….

3#: Existential threats often receive more attention than they deserve.

….

Conclusion: Take a deep breath. Coronavirus is almost certainly not coming for you. And, even if it were, panic is not the answer. Wash your hands, continue enjoying your life, and leave the rest to chance. In this case, it’s on your side.