~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Personally, I consider this to be a "dress rehearsal" for the inevitable time when a really  bad one of these things with a long-ass incubation period emerges from the interiors of South America, Africa, or Asia, and starts to burn through an interconnected, networked world.

At least this "relatively benign" disease provides a somewhat 'low-risk" opportunity to test our containment/treatment strategies and see where they break down.

In light of that, I'm totally cool with a bit of "overreaction" and "panic" as long as they serve the larger goal of learning and preparedness for when Pestilence finally mounts her white horse.

17 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I can't work from home. If I had to stay home for 2 weeks, I could, but it would be a scary proposition financially. That's what worries me more than actually getting sick, not that I'm panicking at all just yet. 

Work is why people are freaking out in the States. Many can't afford to take days off¹ since employers aren't required to offer paid days off, safety nets are nearly nonexistent, and a ton of people can't afford to see a doctor and are used to being afraid of being burdened with crazy medical bills.

That leads to a situation where, if you live in a larger city, you worry about the people you interact with it just ride the subway with. There are like a million things the White House could do to make things better. They've just chosen to forgo them all because this is obviously just fake news meant to make Trump look bad so why should he take any of this serious.

10 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

In light of that, I'm totally cool with a bit of "overreaction" and "panic" as long as they serve the larger goal of learning and preparedness for when Pestilence finally mounts her white horse.

The next Democratic president will hire another pandemic response team but then the next Republican clown will fire them again.

That nightmare is out there somewhere, residing in a monkey, a pangolin, a wombat, or some other creature that has developed an immunity to it over hundreds or thousands of generations, an immunity we don't have.

And as climate change causes human populations and that creature to draw ever closer together, SARS/MERS/COVID-19 will be regarded as the "good old days".

15 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Temporary paid sick days for everyone in the country should be a layup to get to congress immediately, but for some reason we're talking about oil shale company bailouts instead

They seem to be more worried about overreacting and harming the stock market than underreacting, which is contributing to the sell off in the stock market.

4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That nightmare is out there somewhere, residing in a monkey, a pangolin, a wombat, or some other creature that has developed an immunity to it over hundreds or thousands of generations, an immunity we don't have.

And as climate change causes human populations and that creature to draw ever closer together, SARS/MERS/COVID-19 will be regarded as the "good old days".

It's been really eye-opening to see how stupid people are in light of a relatively benign disease. Today at Trader Joe's, people were SURROUNDING wipes and sanitizer waiting to get their turn at the entrance before entering the store. They didn't even realize that many people being so close together was the real threat. We are so fucked. 

I just don’t get it. I mean Right Wing media is pushing the idea that this is no big deal and that main stream media is blowing it way out of proportion. So of course I assumed they were bullshitting again. But the more I read about this the more I agree with the right(throws up). This entire thing seems like a staggering overreaction. 

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I just don’t get it. I mean Right Wing media is pushing the idea that this is no big deal and that main stream media is blowing it way out of proportion. So of course I assumed they were bullshitting again. But the more I read about this the more I agree with the right(throws up). This entire thing seems like a staggering overreaction. 

How so? The virus is growing exponentially and best case scenario thousands of old people will die. No need to panic, but it's a big deal.

13 minutes ago, Jose said:

How so? The virus is growing exponentially and best case scenario thousands of old people will die. No need to panic, but it's a big deal.

How is it worse than the flu? Nearly half a million people die of the flu every year. Same group of the population is vulnerable. Why don’t we empty stadiums during flu season?

10 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

How is it worse than the flu? Nearly half a million people die of the flu every year. Same group of the population is vulnerable. Why don’t we empty stadiums during flu season?

I think there are several reasons it's worse:

1) It seems to spread easier and we don't seem to have an immunity to it. Moreover, many patients don't have any symptoms for a bit even as they are capable of spreading the virus.

1b) This means that the healthcare system could get overwhelmed as we have seen in Italy, upping the risk of death.

2) There's no vaccine for a long time, unlike the flu

3) The mortality rate seems to be higher, although we don't really know for sure until we look back later. At a minimum, we don't know the mortality rate, and it seems like it could easily be quite a bit higher than the flu

4) The response to this thing has been a joke from this administration

I'm not saying we panic either, but it is sensible to try to prevent massive gathering and give people the information they need to protect themselves. Wash your hands a lot everyone.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Also important to note that coronavirus deaths are additive. It's not like it's taking the place of the flu. Old people now have to worry about the flu and the coronavirus.

And MS-13 gangs if you follow those forwarded emails from gramma.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

Are you serious? The deaths rates in all age groups are exponentially higher than the flu. The virus is still spreading. C'mon man.

It’s impossible to tell that at this point. The initial fear over the mortality rates from the initial outbreak in China are skewed in a number of different of ways. And to claim they’re exponentially higher??? That deserves a “c’mon man” of your own. 

Just now, Mercury33 said:

It’s impossible to tell that at this point. The initial fear over the mortality rates from the initial outbreak in China are skewed in a number of different of ways. And to claim they’re exponentially higher??? That deserves a “c’mon man” of your own. 

The death rates from Iran, Italy, hell the US are not any better. This disease is significantly more deadly than the flu.

I'm all for not panicking, but you are blind to the data if you think this is not deadlier than the flu. The country with by far the best testing and response, South Korea, is showing a death rate of .6% for the disease, which is still far more deadly than the flu.

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

The death rates from Iran, Italy, hell the US are not any better. This disease is significantly more deadly than the flu.

Except it is literally impossible to tell at this point. Especially given how extremely mild the mildest form of Corona is. They thought the Flu epidemic in 2009 was severe but after it was over and they could actually calculate the data the mortality rate was less than 1%.  Corona seems scary but there is nothing to really back that up other than increased media focus. 

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

Except it is literally impossible to tell at this point. Especially given how extremely mild the mildest form of Corona is. They thought the Flu epidemic in 2009 was severe but after it was over and they could actually calculate the data the mortality rate was less than 1%.  Corona seems scary but there is nothing to really back that up other than increased media focus. 

So you are just ignoring data based on the possibility that there are unreported cases out there? Sweet. Play ball, everyone!

8 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I'm assuming you are fairly young and healthy.  If you contracted coronavirus but it was "mild" to you, would you go give your elderly grandmother a hug? 

It's just the flu bruh

Not only is it 5 to 30 times more deadly than the flu, it is also far more contagious.

There are certainly individuals who are overreacting (toilet paper madness, etc), but overall society is not. To disagree is to, to put it bluntly, not care about the millions that are going to die globally. 

If you've ever scoffed at Bush and the GOP for the war in a Iraq but are laughing at this, then you're a moron. It's not just old people. 12 months ago my spouse would have had a 20%+ of dying from this.