~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

14 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

When I first heard that people had this theory about Mattress Firm I didn't know what to make of it, and then I started paying attention to how many Mattress Firms exist around me, and just south of where I live there's a cluster of like 7 of them no more than a couple of miles apart, including two literally across the street from each other.

I've never heard this theory but that makes the one store per square mile in my area make a ton of sense.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

In person meetings?  Congrats on your infection bro.

I’m at work every weekday. Our operation can’t be done from home. Someone has to process food. 

We have sanitizers at each door with a sign. Other than that I wash my hands a lot and send people home that are sick. 

39 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

When I first heard that people had this theory about Mattress Firm I didn't know what to make of it, and then I started paying attention to how many Mattress Firms exist around me, and just south of where I live there's a cluster of like 7 of them no more than a couple of miles apart, including two literally across the street from each other.

People need to sleep. Lol

55 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

40 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I've never heard this theory but that makes the one store per square mile in my area make a ton of sense.

There was a really good podcast episode (I forget if it was Planet Money or Freakonomics) on this topic. The reason is essentially two fold...One, the overhead for mattress stores is incredibly cheap: they centralize all storage and salespersons work on commission, so they only have to sell 8-10 mattress a day to turn a profit. Second, it plays into how high ticket retailers consider density and market share; once the optimal location is found by one retailer, it behooves you to saturate it (same reason car dealers cluster).