~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

My office just finally sent out their official email and it was literally a copy/paste from some generic clickbait site (it even had the link on the bottom still) followed by "Unfortunately, working remotely and/or office closures will not be viable under any circumstances, so please keep co-working and generally being around your coworkers to a minimum."

13 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

SF just banned gatherings of 1,000 people or more, so the Warriors game tomorrow won't have any fans. First major U.S. sporting event to do so.

Warriors games will be played without fans, and I just saw an alert the Mariners won't play games in Seattle in March, which affects 7 games. But that's okay, because no one goes to Mariner games anyways.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just to be clear here, I blessedly no longer live in Ohio, but the Commonwealth of Virginia where we have 9! Confirmed cases. 3 yesterday per governor blackface

This made me laugh unreasonably hard

53 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just to be clear here, I blessedly no longer live in Ohio, but the Commonwealth of Virginia where we have 9! Confirmed cases. 3 yesterday per governor blackface

Virginia has 362,880 confirmed cases?! :shock:

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/houston-rodeo-shut-down-coronavirus-concerns-15123010.php

Rodeos are grotesque and inhumane, so glad it is shutting down early. But this is a HUGE deal in Houston. 2 million people go over the 3 weeks of the event. I personally know 6 kids showing pigs at the thing. Wild.

My brother works for Mattress Firm, this show is huge for them, he thinks he’ll lose out on about $30k with just this one show canceled. 

1 minute ago, Commodore D said:

My brother work for Mattress Firm, this show is huge for them, he think he’ll lose out on about $30k with just this one show canceled. 

Ouch :( 

Anyone else find the advice to not touch your face kind of annoying? Maybe I just have no self control, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to not touch my face absentmindedly. Maybe I've reduced how much it happens by 10%, but even that might be generous. Are most people able to reduce touching their face to any meaningful degree?

3 hours ago, Massdriver said:

This isn’t the first virus that originated from China’s animal food markets. They haven’t tried hard enough to shut that shit down. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/05/asia/china-coronavirus-wildlife-consumption-ban-intl-hnk/index.html

Seems like some wildlife farms have already been shut down. Hopefully this isn't just small talk (but who am I kidding!).

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

We have like 100 cases here in Massachusetts with another 500 or so folks in quarantine. Everything is fine.

As someone with connections to the greater Boston hospital complex, the notion that anyone who needs to get tested can get tested is complete trash. Not exactly breaking news, but... yeah.