Most overhyped & overrated game?

crispy4000

Most overhyped AND overrated?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Most overhyped AND overrated?

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (95%)
    • Bioshock Infinite (94%)
    • Red Dead Redeption 2 (97%)
    • Grand Theft Auto IV (97%)
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97%)
    • Mass Effect 3 (93%)
    • Final Fantasy VIII (90%)
    • Super Smash Bros Brawl (93%)
    • Fez (91%)
    • Metal Gear Solid 4 (94%)
    • Goldeneye 007 (96%)
    • LittleBigPlanet (95%)
    • Final Fantasy VII (92%)
    • Super Mario Sunshine (92%)
    • Crysis (91%)
    • Metal Gear Solid V (95%)
    • Halo: Combat Evolved (97%)
    • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (94%)
    • Halo: Reach (91%)
    • Other (90+ highest MC)

12 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Grand Theft Auto IV is my choice.

2nd this. While I have never finished a GTA game IV didn't grab me. San Andres, Vice City, and V are my favorites. I tend not to finish SP games because I prefer MP. I have GTAV on rockstar social club and need to reDL it because I do want to finish the main story.

I do want to add Goldeneye as well. I loved it in elementary school but I think I would have been less impressed with it in hindsight if I was a member of the master race at that time.

I really enjoyed Halo CE. Even the library level it was pretty enjoyable running around fighting my way through a horde of the flood. 

Crysis is an excellent game and it's a shame what happened in the sequels. The campaigns were great though the aliens really suck. I prefer fighting the human enemies. The MP mode was great it sucks it didn't catch on. It was pretty innovative.

FF8 is my favorite FF. In fairness it's the only one I played. Unfortunately I lost my memory card but I will get the remaster to finish it.

SSBB_Cover.jpg

Not the highest scoring game of the list, but Smash Bros Brawl is my pick.

Almost twice as much input lag as its predecessor. (more than Tekken 7 pre-patch)  Random tripping when dashing.  Heavy-handed input buffer that killed responsiveness.  The worst netcode and online experience in any fighter ever.  I don't think there's ever been a game that's gotten this much of a pass for the general play experience taking a step backwards... then tripping over itself. :p

The Adventure mode is just okay, but you might as well just play a good (controlling) Metroidvania instead.  Guacamelee is a perfect substitute.

Hype for the game was also absurd with the daily blog posts.  If only the game deserved it.

@Mr.Vic20

I do love Twilight Princess, but damn was the hype train inflated.  I think it stands alone with RDR2 and Halo 3 in that.

29 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I do want to add Goldeneye as well. I loved it in elementary school but I think I would have been less impressed with it in hindsight if I was a member of the master race at that time.

I really enjoyed Halo CE. Even the library level it was pretty enjoyable running around fighting my way through a horde of the flood.

Yeah, I figured I'd put both of these in.  For Halo's notorious pacing issues (library), and Goldeneye's framerate is atrocious.

Honestly, I think Goldeneye's mission design is more impressive than linear FPS campaigns today.  If only that X360 remake happened.

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Like most Zelda's , a high review is warranted, but yeah, Twilight princess was just a stretch too far. 90, you betcha! 95? Settle down, we know Nintendo kept you waiting, but you need to get a grip! :p

There's so many puzzles in that game, so I really enjoyed it for that.  But yeah, the tutorial was bad, and it didn't space out the dungeons very well either.

I've been thinking about revisiting Twilight Princess recently. I remember loving it, but it was the first 3D Zelda I really played, so it was fairly fresh for me. That's the major negative that I remember hearing from people at the time - it's just OoT again, but with some extra "dark" stuff thrown in. 

Just now, TheLeon said:

I've been thinking about revisiting Twilight Princess recently. I remember loving it, but it was the first 3D Zelda I really played, so it was fairly fresh for me. That's the major negative that I remember hearing from people at the time - it's just OoT again, but with some extra "dark" stuff thrown in. 

If it's your first 3D Zelda, I could see you liking it more than OoT.  It's not a crazy stretch.

The two are inverses thematically.  OoT starts a little more playfully, gets dark in the latter half.  TP gets real dark after the opening, but kind of fizzles out the atmosphere out by the end. (Twilight temple excepting)

OoT probably had a better approach, but that was also just taking cues from what LTTP did.

RDR2. While I there might have been more hyperbole surrounding GTA4, I still think it was an excellent game. RDR2 is an impressive game that was similarly met with hyperbolic expectations and reviews, but even after having finished it, I'm not sure it's a particularly good game. 

Bio Shock Infinite by a loooog shot at least for me. I loved the first 2 games so much and what they did to the 3rd game was just such a letdown. Having never played Twilight Princess, or ever even came close to finishing a Grand Theft game I can'r comment on the top 2. So BSI it is to me!

Listen, I adore the game, but Breath of the Wild was being heralded as one of the greatest games, if not the greatest game of all time. It does some really cool stuff, but I think that game has glaring issues. 

I think GTA IV was similar - I still recall the 10 IGN gave it and the hype prior to people getting their hands on it. Again, I still really like GTA IV, but at the time the hype was off the charts. That’s one though that people turned on and now a lot of people won’t admit they got swept up in the hype. Same with bio shock infinite. People acted like it was the most brilliant game they’ve ever played, and then when some people actually dissected some of the problematic stuff in there, people now act like oh wow it was OK. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The Last of Us - The opening is fantastic. The rest is a Naughty Dog game. It’s Uncharted with zombies. 

I disagree pretty hard there. Joel is like decidedly NOT drake, almost like they had a meeting specifically to make this seem like the case. He can hardly make simple jumps, as opposed to Drake being a certified Olympic level athlete. And the combat is significantly different as well. 

Man I love the last of us. 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

RDR2. While I there might have been more hyperbole surrounding GTA4, I still think it was an excellent game. RDR2 is an impressive game that was similarly met with hyperbolic expectations and reviews, but even after having finished it, I'm not sure it's a particularly good game. 

I finished gta4 and all it’s dlc. I didn’t get halfway through rdr2 so...

RDR 2 is basically a 5/10 video game for me, and it hurts to even be that generous, wrapped in 10/10 production values. Even I was enamored with its absolutely amazing world until it became crystal clear it's not even close to fun or interesting to interact with. It's a total mess. 

The mission design deserves a special place in video game hell and completely taken on its own is some of the most insultingly stupid shit I've played in ages. I can't even remember the early 3D GTAs being that obscenely restrictive. It's like Rockstar were so far up their own asses with their cinematic aspirations, they fail your fucking mission if you dare step out of the "coolest" angle...are you KIDDING me? I still vividly remember disgustedly quitting while doing that moronic mission where you have to steal the buggy from the fenced-in factory/storehouse with guards everywhere. The game decided to fail me over and over and over until I took the EXACT route it wanted me to take despite it being the most illogical way to go about it. I thought hey, maybe I'll wait it out until the dude takes the cart out, then I assassinate him and steal it! WRONG, MISSION FAILED DUHH MORON. Oh, okay...

Fuck Rockstar for wasting that fantastic, intriguing world, atmosphere and soundtrack on such an abysmal turd of a game.  

1 hour ago, HardAct said:

Bio Shock Infinite by a loooog shot at least for me. I loved the first 2 games so much and what they did to the 3rd game was just such a letdown. Having never played Twilight Princess, or ever even came close to finishing a Grand Theft game I can'r comment on the top 2. So BSI it is to me!

Infinite is a terrible game completely swallowed by its stupid pseudo-intellectual aspirations. I don't even think the first two are particularly good, the gunplay especially being kind of crap in the first one, but Infinite was so terrible, I traded it in after four hours.

I would argue that Bioshock infinite, Mass effect 3, Brawl, Sunshine, and Halo Reach are not contenders for being the most overrated games of all time because they are widely held to be the worst/most disappointing games in their series'. 

10 minutes ago, Moa said:

I would argue that Bioshock infinite, Mass effect 3, Brawl, Sunshine, and Halo Reach are not contenders for being the most overrated games of all time because they are widely held to be the worst/most disappointing games in their series'. 

I thought Halo 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda were the most disappointing games in their series.

While I didn't like the last hour of story in Mass Effect 3, I thought it was otherwise a phenomenal game (I played it post patches).

Most definitely The Last of Us for me.  Relative to most narrative games at the time I can see why people were enthralled by the story, but it's about as generic and cliched as they come.  Combine that with slow, static gameplay that doesn't evolve past the first hour or so and you've got an exceptionally average video game.  The painfully slow movement and deleterious focus on realism makes it feel in retrospect like a distant cousin of RDR2 (the least fun game ever made).

2 hours ago, Moa said:

I certainly think you’re off on several of those (infinite, ME3, Reach at the very least are not considered by most as the worst in their respective series), but the sentiment of your post echos a little bit of the problem with the question. 

Are we taking this to be the attitude at the time of release, or the general opinion of the games present day? Because as I said before, there’s a big gap there for a lot of these. 

Infinite and GTA4 in particular went from these games are incredible to these games are ok but overrated in terms of the general “feel” of the popular opinion. But even like Sunshine was hyped to high heaven at release by most, and then over the years people realized it wasn’t very good. 

It’s an interesting thing to me to watch that narrative change. Like most people played demons souls and bounced off it and didn’t think it’d end up being the most influential game (or root of it) of the past decade (for single player games at least). So it makes you respect people who saw it in the moment (I think gamespot gave it GOTY). 

6 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The Last of Us - The opening is fantastic. The rest is a Naughty Dog game. It’s Uncharted with zombies. 

40 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Most definitely The Last of Us for me.  Relative to most narrative games at the time I can see why people were enthralled by the story, but it's about as generic and cliched as they come.  Combine that with slow, static gameplay that doesn't evolve past the first hour or so and you've got an exceptionally average video game.  The painfully slow movement and deleterious focus on realism makes it feel in retrospect like a distant cousin of RDR2 (the least fun game ever made).

KINGS

As to the list... it's EASILY MGS4. Easily. I think where the story went is blissfully nonsensical and it pulls its nostalgia trigger HARD. But even Naughty Dog, R*, and Ken Levine games have more engaging gameplay and better pacing than MGS4, which is incredibly damning.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I thought Halo 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda were the most disappointing games in their series.

While I didn't like the last hour of story in Mass Effect 3, I thought it was otherwise a phenomenal game (I played it post patches).

Halo 5 is the most divisive game in the series thus far. You could probably argue that Reach is really when it started its downfall, but a lot of people (on this forum included) have fond memories of Reach and consider it one of their favorites. 

41 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Halo 5 is the most divisive game in the series thus far. You could probably argue that Reach is really when it started its downfall, but a lot of people (on this forum included) have fond memories of Reach and consider it one of their favorites. 

I agree -- I don't see how Halo Reach is a "downfall" from the previous games.  I quite liked it.  But then again, I don't understand the reverence for the first three games.