Most overhyped & overrated game?

crispy4000

Most overhyped AND overrated?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Most overhyped AND overrated?

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (95%)
    • Bioshock Infinite (94%)
    • Red Dead Redeption 2 (97%)
    • Grand Theft Auto IV (97%)
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97%)
    • Mass Effect 3 (93%)
    • Final Fantasy VIII (90%)
    • Super Smash Bros Brawl (93%)
    • Fez (91%)
    • Metal Gear Solid 4 (94%)
    • Goldeneye 007 (96%)
    • LittleBigPlanet (95%)
    • Final Fantasy VII (92%)
    • Super Mario Sunshine (92%)
    • Crysis (91%)
    • Metal Gear Solid V (95%)
    • Halo: Combat Evolved (97%)
    • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (94%)
    • Halo: Reach (91%)
    • Other (90+ highest MC)

It's RDR2 by a fucking landslide.

There are plenty of games that were well rated that I didn't enjoy. Generally speaking though, it's because the game just wasn't for me. That's how it will always be and that a game wasn't for you doesn't mean it was overrated.

RDR2, on the other hand, has many objectively broken mechanics in it that should have taken it down a peg. Brokenness that we would never give a pass to for any other game. Instead, it's one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. That is just fucked up.

I'm not saying people should hate it; it's fine if you still enjoyed it *despite* its objective flaws. (I still enjoyed numerous aspects my self) But those serious objective flaws should prevent it from the receiving the acclaim that it did.

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Bitch YOU trippin.

Kidding aside, the trip mechanic is one of the all time developer trolls. It’s incredible.

The game as a whole was the actual joke.  What's a random percent chance of falling on your ass when the input lag is horrible and the netcode is a disaster?

Just now, crispy4000 said:

The game as a whole was the actual joke.  What's a random percent chance of falling on your ass when the input lag is horrible and the netcode is a disaster?

The whole game is a chef’s kiss, a letter from Sakurai to the Smash enthusiasts telling them just how much he hates them all.

For that alone it earns its keep.

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The whole game is a chef’s kiss, a letter from Sakurai to the Smash enthusiasts telling them just how much he hates them all.

For that alone it earns its keep.

Sakurai believed in making games where people of different skill levels can compete with each other using chance mechanics.  Not a bad thing, but it can be with a poor implementation.

For Brawl, interviews suggest he thought of tripping as a balancing tool to that end, with the added bonus of making the game feel more air focused.  (also his goal for Brawl)

There was enough differences in Brawl to troll the enthusiasts already (ie: no wavedashing).  I'd chalk tripping up to a balancing concept he actually believed in at the time.  Similarly, I'd peg the input lag on trying to build the game to be 'playable' with broken netcode.  These were straight up bad production decisions, and lessons learned for future sequels.

All said, tripping is a crap mechanic in a crap game with crap controls.  Here in 2019, that's Brawl's legacy more than any perceived schadenfreude. 
I'd also say its a game better remembered for its modding scene than the busted vanilla version.  The mods are where the fun is.