Most overhyped & overrated game?

crispy4000

Most overhyped AND overrated?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Most overhyped AND overrated?

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (95%)
    • Bioshock Infinite (94%)
    • Red Dead Redeption 2 (97%)
    • Grand Theft Auto IV (97%)
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97%)
    • Mass Effect 3 (93%)
    • Final Fantasy VIII (90%)
    • Super Smash Bros Brawl (93%)
    • Fez (91%)
    • Metal Gear Solid 4 (94%)
    • Goldeneye 007 (96%)
    • LittleBigPlanet (95%)
    • Final Fantasy VII (92%)
    • Super Mario Sunshine (92%)
    • Crysis (91%)
    • Metal Gear Solid V (95%)
    • Halo: Combat Evolved (97%)
    • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (94%)
    • Halo: Reach (91%)
    • Other (90+ highest MC)

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

Other: Resident Evil 4. 

Never understood the love for this game. It’s boring and slow and the controls were terrible for a third person game. Tried to play it so many times and quit after a few hours. 

Did you play it yesterday or at release? The game was incredible!

45 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The thing that utterly boggles my mind is that Rockstar has already proven that they can make a game with freakin' great third-person movement and shooting mechanics with Max Payne 3.

Why this hasn't translated at least slightly into the GTA and RDR series is beyond me.

I've spent so much time thinking about this and I just can't understand it at all.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:55 PM, Dre801 said:

Halo for me.  Solid games,  I'll admit.  The lore does nothing for me and Master Chief is a boring protagonist.

To true. There was so little story and character there, it was a bit into the game until I realized MC was even human. 

I thought he was just a standard issue, semi-sentient combat robot. Even the marines in the second level say “...look a mark four”. So I’m thinking I’m a version four battle droid or something. 

On 8/28/2019 at 12:34 PM, TheLeon said:

I've been thinking about revisiting Twilight Princess recently. I remember loving it, but it was the first 3D Zelda I really played, so it was fairly fresh for me. That's the major negative that I remember hearing from people at the time - it's just OoT again, but with some extra "dark" stuff thrown in. 

TP has the most interesting dungeon design, of the console Zeldas.  The biggest problem (I have) with the game is the (dated) design/technical aspect.  It's obvious the overworld design was held back by the hardware of the time.  While the game is pretty big, there's almost nothing to do when traversing different areas, and it can take a long time to travel from location to location.  This sparsity creates a conflict in the tone the story sets for you - the tone which tries to make Link feel more connected to the world and NPCs.  If you can look past this, though, then the game is quite good.  But for me, when I try to replay it I just want to skip all the bloat and hit the dungeons and the few set pieces back to back. 

40 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

OOT is ROUGH to go back to today.  It been such a sacred cow for so long but there's no reason to revisit it once nostalgia goggles are off, especially now that BOTW exists.  Unless you genuinely like cumbersome 90's 3D game controls and story/writing/design that is outright insulting to the intelligence of any curious, critical thinking adult.

Eh I disagree. The 3DS version holds up pretty well, and it’s interesting how modern it does feel considering the age of the game. 

Was a bit harsh in my previous post, but the amount that classic 3D zeldas, especially OOT, try to guide you to do this and that is too much for me and always felt like a tutorial section that would never end.  BOTW removed all of that and expanded on what did work and the series is better for it imho.

39 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

The amount that classic 3D zeldas, especially OOT, try to guide you to do this and that is too much for me and always felt like a tutorial section that would never end.  BOTW removed all of that and expanded on what did work and the series is better for it imho.

There’s not a ton of that in OOT. In fact, it certainly has a touch of obtuse old school game design that necessitates looking up where to go next or what certain collectibles even are / do. TP and SS have a shit load of tutorials.

56 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That’s fine, but you singled out OOT as being particularly bad about this, and that’s just not true when compared to the other 3D zeldas. 

Because it always got the most hype, and did for a long time. Also I'm not just talking about the intentional tutorial sections, but all the moments where the game overexplains the story and quests to you, tells you where to go, what to do, etc. Though I'd agree that most classic 3D zeldas are pretty bad about this.

6 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

Because I'm not just talking about the intentional tutorial sections, but all the moments where the game overexplains the story and quests to you, tells you where to go, what to do, etc. Though I'd agree that most classic 3D zeldas are pretty bad about this.

Fair enough. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

TP has the most interesting dungeon design, of the console Zeldas.  The biggest problem (I have) with the game is the (dated) design/technical aspect.  It's obvious the overworld design was held back by the hardware of the time.  While the game is pretty big, there's almost nothing to do when traversing different areas, and it can take a long time to travel from location to location.  This sparsity creates a conflict in the tone the story sets for you - the tone which tries to make Link feel more connected to the world and NPCs.  If you can look past this, though, then the game is quite good.  But for me, when I try to replay it I just want to skip all the bloat and hit the dungeons and the few set pieces back to back. 

I could see it.  But I think Skyward Sword might have it beat for the scope of its creativity.  TP also loses some points for me for the desert dungeon, which retread the Poe idea from OoT's forest temple.

You're right about the rest of the game.  I thought the Twlight Realm stuff between early dungeons was much better than the filler that followed between later ones.  Chasing down Skull Kids a second time is the lowest point of the game.  (a lesson on filler sadly not learned for SS's Imprisonment battles)

5 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

Was a bit harsh in my previous post, but the amount that classic 3D zeldas, especially OOT, try to guide you to do this and that is too much for me and always felt like a tutorial section that would never end.  BOTW removed all of that and expanded on what did work and the series is better for it imho.

BoTW took out the tutorial, but also most of the puzzle difficulty and interwoven floor-planning.

I actually quite liked BoTW's dungeon gimmicks; they just couldn't make up for the Shrines being a bit of a letdown.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

I remember thinking that the castle town in Twilight Princess was a big improvement over past games, though, in the sense that even though most of the castle town inhabitants were completely noninteractive, it finally felt like there were actual people you were trying to save the world for.

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I love OG tank controls and I always will. But I realize I’m deeply influenced by nostalgia there. Playing OG RE2 late with a buddy in grade school is like etched into my memories as “this is good.” 

I even like OG Tomb Raider a lot to this day, I just don't see the big problem with any control scheme as long as the action is designed around it.

I actually think Metroid Prime (with a standard controller) is harder to go back to than RE4.  Not all 3rd person games have manual strafing.  Almost all 1st person games do.  I feel that disconnect much more.

Prime was designed around its lock-on though, so its still mostly fine.  The biggest bummer is needing to stop to look up and down in a game that gets so vertical.