The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

36 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Look, I can't be expected to keep all the shitty Florida counties straight. 

You watch your mouth, boy. My family has a ton of real estate in Cocoa Beach, Melbourne, and Cape Canaveral.

Just kidding, they are pretty red-neck down there. Though it is changing!

If these cops do move to Florida. I hope their is some sort of Dexter Morgan working in their crime lab to keep them straight. Although it would explain a lot about them being the leading state for serial killers (got that from the Dexter books)

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You know what's pissing me off?  I've seen several variations of the following graphic, all of which contain falsified data:

screen-shot-2015-11-23-at-00-20-201.png?

I've seen one cropped and shared so that it doesn't shown the year or the source.  And I've seen another with the year changed to 2018 and the source as the Homeland Crime something bullshit organization with the numbers slightly changed.

People are just flat out making shit up now, and idiots are falling for it.

Fact-check: https://www.factcheck.org/2015/11/trump-retweets-bogus-crime-graphic/

Wait a minute... did Trump really share the black on black crime image?

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You know what's pissing me off?  I've seen several variations of the following graphic, all of which contain falsified data:

screen-shot-2015-11-23-at-00-20-201.png?

I've seen one cropped and shared so that it doesn't shown the year or the source.  And I've seen another with the year changed to 2018 and the source as the Homeland Crime something bullshit organization with the numbers slightly changed.

People are just flat out making shit up now, and idiots are falling for it.

Fact-check: https://www.factcheck.org/2015/11/trump-retweets-bogus-crime-graphic/

I remember that picture being shared around social media a few years ago. I even remember a black friend of mine sharing it on Facebook. I unfriended him after that (he would also post a lot of other stupid shit). 

Anyone live near an area that's tearing down Confederate monuments?  What's the general consensus in that area?

Indianapolis is removing a memorial statue for Confederate POWs.  Any article I click on has the vast majority of comments being sad, and people arguing "THEY CAN'T TEAR DOWN OUR HISTORY."  I imagine this uproar is worse in southern states.

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Perhaps you are thinking to yourself, “What about violent crime?”

I hear you. And I want you to consider this simple fact: police do not prevent violence. What we need in the event of violent crime is a service that will effectively respond to it, stop it from happening if it is ongoing, and investigate the circumstances surrounding it.

This is a conversation about safety, and the mechanism through which we as a society will provide safety for one another. 

Policing is ill-equipped to suit these needs.

When victims are not the right kinds of victims, police have utterly failed. When the queer community in Toronto told police there was a serial killer targeting racialized queer men in the Church Street village, the police openly denied there was a serial killer and did not take the threat seriously. This allowed serial killer Bruce MacArthur to get away with murdering at least eight men over at least seven years.

So a...police force?:confused:

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Anyone live near an area that's tearing down Confederate monuments?  What's the general consensus in that area?

Indianapolis is removing a memorial statue for Confederate POWs.  Any article I click on has the vast majority of comments being sad, and people arguing "THEY CAN'T TEAR DOWN OUR HISTORY."  I imagine this uproar is worse in southern states.

I live in Richmond and the general consensus is it is time for them to go. Even the rich white homeowners along monument avenue seem to be on board in a way that was not present a few years ago. The biggest opponents seem to be from outside the city in Chesterfield, Hanover, and Henrico counties. And fuck them.

Though taking down these monuments seem to be given through the lens of a concession without giving up any power over the police (an independent community review board is the biggest demand on that front)

There’s a protest this weekend to remove the confederate monuments in Jacksonville. I know there will be a huge stink if any monuments are torn down.

It’s been a long time coming for Jax. There’s even a park in a black neighborhood called Confederate Park and a majority black high school named after Robert E Lee.

Protest Backlash and the Failings of a Superhero Culture

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or the entertainment board, but here felt the most right.

I thought this was a good take. It made me think of @Greatoneshere and @skillzdadirecta since we’ve talked about Man of Steel a bunch, and this bit was an angle I (unsurprisingly :( ) did not consider.

It's interesting that the stories that do push against the status quo, that aren’t interested in a love affair with cops or government, are the ones that prove to be the most controversial. One of the central reasons Zack Snyder’s Superman impacts me, and the many people of color who are fans of that depiction who I’ve encountered over the years, is because the Superman of Man of Steel (2013) and Batman v Superman (2016), even though coded as white, is an outsider fighting against corruption in a nation that fears him and criticizes his every move and every effort to preserve his own life, and those of others. And only when he’s dead is his impact felt.

I don’t intend to relitgate my take on MoS for the umpteenth time, but... I thought that was an intersting perspective.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Always funny to see someone who whined about safe safes so desperately want one.

And of course, sports have always been political. 

Too much politics in sports. Now stand for the national anthem, watch the fighter jet flyby, and go take a dump while they sing God Bless America for 25 minutes. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or the entertainment board, but here felt the most right.

I thought this was a good take. It made me think of @Greatoneshere and @skillzdadirecta since we’ve talked about Man of Steel a bunch, and this bit was an angle I (unsurprisingly :( ) did not consider.

I don’t intend to relitgate my take on MoS for the umpteenth time, but... I thought that was an intersting perspective.

I'll check this out later for sure. I can write a book on the problems with super heroes particularly masked vigilantes and criminal justice. 

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll check this out later for sure. I can write a book on the problems with super heroes particularly masked vigilantes and criminal justice. 

Yeah. I suspect you’ll find little in there particularly new, but you never know.

8 hours ago, Amazatron said:

This is the clip that John Oliver ended his show with and teared up talking about it.

I just decided to watch this now. I didn't expect it to be this powerful. Good lord. 

She's 100% right. And the last thing she says... that may as well be prophecy. 

10 hours ago, Amazatron said:

This is the clip that John Oliver ended his show with and teared up talking about it.

We are playing this (with a language warning for little ears) instead of trailers for the next week of shows.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The Watchmen series could very well turn out to be one of the most prophetic pieces of media ever created.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Definitely very interesting, thank you very much for sharing this! It's definitely in Man of Steel I think, though how much is text and how much is subtext is arguable.

• Thanks 1

Superman, in almost all of his forms throughout his history, has been a completely uncompelling character.  An unstoppable being with hardly any faults or vices is boring.  We need more ant-hero stories, or at least hero stories with faulted characters.

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Superman, in almost all of his forms throughout his history, has been a completely uncompelling character.  An unstoppable being with hardly any faults or vices is boring.  We need more ant-hero stories, or at least hero stories with faulted characters.

paul rudd marvel GIF

• Haha 8