The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I forget, what's your ethnicity? But yeah it's pretty rare for minorities to ask a white person where they're from, and more often than not the white person doesn't even know, but will ask a minority the same question expecting them to know and is surprised when they don't. :silly: 

And for sure, given the idealization of whiteness amongst the minorities the British Empire in particular ruled have this weird desire to be more white. It's definitely a thing in South Asia and brown girls like pulling a white dude but it's not "exotic" and more like you said a kink or a desire to achieve money/status/social upward mobility (in their minds, white men provide this for brown girls). So I don't want to write off that white people aren't pursued (hell, terrible brown guys come to America and just expect white girls to put out, for instance), but it's not "exotic". 

Family Christmas cards, the way the white family all put on Christmas sweaters and bring the dog into the picture and shit. Now it's more digital but still a white person thing. Basically, if you watch Home Alone 1 or 2 and think: "that's just like my family", you are white. :p 

I’m 100% European mutt. I think in Bmore it was my size combined with my very obvious California accent that led to the questions.

I think poc get the objectification due to the prevalent culture/looks (white people are still the majority) so anything outside of that gets othered and viewed as “exotic.” But I can see how it can happen in reverse, or that white person has something about them that makes them stand out from main stream whiteness, like being 240 and heavily inked in my case cause it damn sure wasn’t my face 😂

Hell dude my fiancé does that with cards including bringing our cat in and she’s not white, guess our culture is metastasizing. But I fight her everytime, she wanted matching ugly Xmas sweaters including for the cat, I threatened to cut her off sexually 😂 like I’m not that white was something I distinctly remember telling her.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I’m 100% European mutt. I think in Bmore it was my size combined with my very obvious California accent that led to the questions.

I think poc get the objectification due to the prevalent culture/looks (white people are still the majority) so anything outside of that gets othered and viewed as “exotic.” But I can see how it can happen in reverse, or that white person has something about them that makes them stand out from main stream whiteness, like being 240 and heavily inked in my case cause it damn sure wasn’t my face 😂

Hell dude my fiancé does that with cards including bringing our cat in and she’s not white, guess our culture is metastasizing. But I fight her everytime, she wanted matching ugly Xmas sweaters including for the cat, I threatened to cut her off sexually 😂 like I’m not that white was something I distinctly remember telling her.

That makes a lot of sense, and I think we both know you don't represent typical white culture. Also not sure if they were asking where you'e from because of West Coast vs. East Coast or because you're white since it's not too strange in America to ask which area you're from area/state-wise. When people ask me where I'm from and I say Pennsylvania or Philadelphia, they pause and go: "like, ancestrally" so they do make an additional leap. I'm like: "when I asked your white ass where you're from and you said California I left it at that". :p And yeah, I agree, cultures are mixing and so minorities do a lot of white people things (and vice versa). Like, my brown wife likes yoga clothing and pumpkin spice lattes and we do brunch on the weekends. So I'm not immune, just saying these were "white people things" first before other cultures co-opted it, and white people not getting "it's a white person thing" vs. "this is an American thing" is the big distinction I'm making that white people don't make sometimes. Some people think "white person thing" is synonymous with "American thing" and for a very long time that monoculture was the case.

And yeah, you tell her fuck off with those ugly Christmas sweaters. Never understood that. And that's when I go: "white people" and roll my eyes (even though she's not white I'd still call it out as a white person thing to do). :p 

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never been asked by a White person this (except for Best a couple weeks ago) but IRL more Hispanic or Filipino ask me that question. :p

A white person has never asked where you're from but Hispanic and Filipino people have? Interesting. And to be clear, it's not like minorities don't ask each other where they're from, it's more about how white people ask and how they go about asking it. It's important to remember minorities are racist as shit and categorize races and ethnicities in broad strokes all the time. It's wild and minorities are always so puzzled when I call it out. Like, Pakistanis hate Saudi Arabians, calling them untrustworthy and I'm like: "I think you mean just the government and the royal family" and they're like: "nah, all Saudis". So yeah. :p 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

A white person has never asked where you're from but Hispanic and Filipino people have? Interesting. And to be clear, it's not like minorities don't ask each other where they're from, it's more about how white people ask and how they go about asking it.

I think around here white people know better. I remember in high school, I wasn't even around for it but I heard about it. Some girl said, "He's [me] not black he's dark skinned" and I think the got chewed out for that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Hand written letters. Was visiting a friend and walking up the driveway he asked me if I could grab the mail. My immediate, real world response was "What in the white people world are all these hand written letters?"

I'm being completely half serious here...

Still. Are mailing Christmas cards, post cards, and birthday cards actually a thing people still do? I get those hand delivered or not at all. It's usually just a phone call or something.

I never send notes/letters that's 100% a white thing 

• 4 weeks later...
APNEWS.COM

A second Denver-area police officer has been acquitted in the 2019 death of Elijah McClain. The 23-year-old Black man was put in a neck hold and injected with ketamine after police stopped him as he walked home from a convenience store.

• Shocked 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
WWW.NEWSBREAK.COM

A new book details the $600 billion stolen from Black Americans nationwide. A new book is set to unravel how the U.S. stole $600 billion from Black Americans. Andrew W. Kahrl, professor of history and African American studies at the University of Virginia, put extensive research in his new book which describes how US bureaucracies created the nation’s ongoing racial wealth gap by implementing a system of highly unjust...

• Halal 1