The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Seattle PD going after people who protested on trumped-up charges and holding without bail.

Oh, and they used a Facebook meme as evidence that the woman in the second video was going to kill police:

People should really start censoring the names and faces of protesters in order to protect them since cops are definitely watching the same videos we are.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Comment from ERA user:

Lol.

Was this JUST because of the Tom Cotton thing or for other things as well?

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

What does this mean? Fire all officers and start fresh?

Pretty sure it means replace the department with something else. Those officers will more than likely be folded into whatever they come up with next... Destroy and rebuild.

Just now, Ricofoley said:

Kinda seems like protesting works

It does when everybody is engaged... I wonder how much impact these protests would have had if everyone was going about their normal lives and didn't see the video at the same time because they were distracted by just LIVING. This reminds of what I've heard about the sixties... that once images of black people being hosed and beaten by police with dogs being sicced on them appeared on the Six O' Clock news, that's when real change started to happen because public sentiment changed. A shame over 50 years later the sequences of events had to play out in order for the public to become engaged again.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah the washing feet thing is weird... that's a Christian thing right? Something to do with Jesus?

Yes. 

In Christian circles it's seen as the ultimate form of selfless servitude, sacrifice, and humility. 

MY thing is them doing all out in public in front of cameras. Sort of defeats the purpose!

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It does when everybody is engaged... I wonder how much impact these protests would have had if everyone was going about their normal lives and didn't see the video at the same time because they were distracted by just LIVING. This reminds of what I've heard about the sixties... that once images of black people being hosed and beaten by police with dogs being sicced on them appeared on the Six O' Clock news, that's when real change started to happen because public sentiment changed. A shame over 50 years later the sequences of events had to play out in order for the public to become engaged again.

As wild as it may be, it probably doesn't hurt that there are so many people out of work. People are spending more time than ever right now on social media watching videos of cops beating peaceful protesters and not being busy earning an income.

52 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Yes. 

In Christian circles it's seen as the ultimate form of selfless servitude, sacrifice, and humility. 

MY thing is them doing all out in public in front of cameras. Sort of defeats the purpose!

Ehhh, if it sends the right message to christians, I’m all for it!

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The greatest post in the history of Bad Cartridge/DayOnePatch

There is absolutely nothing that I could possibly add to that magnificient post other than to say that I am deeply honored and deeply humbled that you're part of our community and that I would break bread with you when the opportunity comes! :hug:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'm going to give Mitt the benefit of the doubt on this and believe that this is a GENUINE sentiment from him :twothumbsup:

Any Republican willing to utter the phrase "black lives matter" is going to get a thumbs up from me. I don't care if their pandering. There are way too many in this country that just refuse to say those three words.

10 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Ehhh, if it sends the right message to christians, I’m all for it!

There are going to be huge number of Evangelicals that might be stuck questioning their stance if symbolic gestures like those go viral. I'm not saying it will change their minds; just that it may give them pause.

The best part of all this is that it’s basically silenced Trump. I feel like he’s barely been in the news this past week, and anything dumb he says gets washed away almost immediately.

I feel like him saying “Floyd would be happy with these economic numbers” would have been an all weekend thing a month ago.

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

The best part of all this is that it’s basically silenced Trump. I feel like he’s barely been in the news this past week, and anything dumb he says gets washed away almost immediately.

I feel like him saying “Floyd would be happy with these economic numbers” would have been an all weekend thing a month ago.

And that's probably what pisses him off the most here. I fully expect him to say or do something crazy to try to get back in the news. Im almost convinced his request for 10,000 troops was basically that.

19 hours ago, Brick said:

I've been seeing a lot of people online saying to abolish police. Defunding I get because you can redirect those funds into other social and community services to help prevent things getting so bad that people turn to crime in the first place (as well as putting it into other things like infrastructure, healthcare, etc.), but to get rid of the police entirely I'm not so sure so maybe someone can help explain the reasoning behind it. 

I get people will say, "I know what you're thinking, 'if we get rid of police, who will stop bank robbers', but if we redirect assets to address poverty people don't feel like they need to rob a bank to survive in the first place", and yeah now community outreach programs, and initiatives to tackle the reasons people turn to crime, and making different organizations that can deal with things that the police shouldn't really be dealing with I get. However, there's always going to be crime, and criminals. Sure police don't have the best record when helping sexual assault victims, but what do we do with the actual predators/abusers? What do with people who commit homicide, or decide to take hostages? What if there's a serial killer on the loose? New organizations could be made to help with sexual assault victims, and police don't always believe when someone says there's a serial killer on the loose and definitely need to do a better job (Canada has had two recent cases of that in the past couple decades with Bruce McArthur and Robert Pickton), but again what happens to those truly bad people out there that we do need to remove from society? 

I'm not being snarky with this, I'm genuinely asking, and if anyone can seriously help me understand, or show me resources that explain it well I'd appreciate it. If we can come up with a better solution to police than the police then great, I'm all for it as things should always be improved, and we shouldn't be afraid of thinking up better systems just because the one we have right now works (for example democracy is the best political system, but why have we stopped trying to think up an even better one?), but right now, even with all the problems that need to be fixed with police forces, it seems to me we'll still need the police even if we just need to fix it first. 

There's a lot of confusion regarding what is meant by "defunding" the police, largely because the term is being conflated with "abolishing" the police which really isn't  the case at all.

In its proper context, "defunding the police" means EXACTLY what you posted: reducing the scope of the role that police play in society to addressing only the most serious and/or violent crimes.  By that "descoping" of the role of police, those resources could then be redirected to those "social and community services" that you refer to.  The fact of the matter is that at least 75% to 80% of the tasks and issues that currently involve law enforcement (domestic issues, homelessness, individuals with psychological disorders, petty crime, etc.) can (and SHOULD!) be handled by well-trained social workers, not an institution whose toolset is pretty much limited to the application of force (the old "if your only tool is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail" adage).

Verso Books is offering the e-book version of "The End of Policing" by Alex Vitale which discusses how the scope of "policing" has expanded in recent decades, much to the detriment of public safety for free.

• Thanks 1