Terminator: Dark Fate Official trailer

The impressions I've seen have been mostly positive. It's currently at 66%, which is right around T3. I suppose that's the best case scenario.

I was wondering why we keep seeing this franchise come back when none of the three post T2 films have actually made their budget back in the US. T3 got 75% of the way there, but Salvation and Genisys were closer to 60%. The only bright spot is that worldwide grosses have been good and keep going up, so I suppose that's the answer. It's become another "hopefully the international box office will save us" action franchise.

20 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I wish @IdeaOfEvil would answer my very respectfully asked question of “why not both?” Even if you don’t find a particular line of discussion interesting, why oppose those who want to discuss things within a different context than simply the entertainment value. Similarly, why can’t the demographic makeup of the cast, and/or their roles being out of the norm not be part of what entertains?

As I said, I'm not sure why you bother. Like Ohioguy, heyyoudvd, Dodger, and many more before him, IdeaofEvil isn't interested in discourse and having his mind even possibly changed - he just wants to troll, clearly be sexist, say he's not, and then call us snowflakes, "wrong", or whatever dishonest, disingenuous argument the dishonest debater wants to make.

I mean, that's the truth. I've been going to IGN Boards, than Bad Cartridge, now DayOnePatch since April 2001. I don't think I've ever seen a poster like the aforementioned ones ever (EVER) change their minds on something as fundamental as their poor political beliefs, their sexist views, or whatever else is being peddled. I mean, I have nearly 20 years of experience that says it almost never happens, but then you, @legend, @SaysWho?, @CitizenVectron, etc. always enter into a discourse (like I sometimes do) with them, thinking - hey, if I approach this intelligently, succinctly, and with a well summarized post and question, they'll see through their own issues.

Nope. They won't. Don't bother. They intentionally avoid the hard posts to respond to, like yours or a post @SaysWho? made earlier in this thread. Dodger did it all the time with my posts, just as an example.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

As I said, I'm not sure why you bother. Like Ohioguy, heyyoudvd, Dodger, and many more before him, IdeaofEvil isn't interested in discourse and having his mind even possibly changed - he just wants to troll, clearly be sexist, say he's not, and then call us snowflakes, "wrong", or whatever dishonest, disingenuous argument the dishonest debater wants to make.

I mean, that's the truth. I've been going to IGN Boards, than Bad Cartridge, now DayOnePatch since April 2001. I don't think I've ever seen a poster like the aforementioned ones ever (EVER) change their minds on something as fundamental as their poor political beliefs, their sexist views, or whatever else is being peddled. I mean, I have nearly 20 years of experience that says it almost never happens, but then you, @legend, @SaysWho?, @CitizenVectron, etc. always enter into a discourse (like I sometimes do) with them, thinking - hey, if I approach this intelligently, succinctly, and with a well summarized post and question, they'll see through their own issues.

Nope. They won't. Don't bother. They intentionally avoid the hard posts to respond to, like yours or a post @SaysWho? made earlier in this thread. Dodger did it all the time with my posts, just as an example.

FWIW, when I used to frequently enter conversations with certain people on a topic like say, evolution, I usually didn't do it with an expectation that I would change their mind. My more meaningful motivation was to provide the evidence/argument for people who may be watching the conversation that could be swayed in either direction because they just didn't know much about it before.

I tend to not bother with conversations like that as much anymore for a few reasons, but I think that can still be a good reason to do it, and I know that indirect goal can be realized.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, legend said:

FWIW, when I used to frequently enter conversations with certain people on a topic like say, evolution, I usually didn't do it with an expectation that I would change their mind. My more meaningful motivation was to provide the evidence/argument for people who may be watching the conversation that could be swayed in either direction because they just didn't know much about it before.

I tend to not bother with conversations like that as much anymore for a few reasons, but I think that can still be a good reason to do it, and I know that indirect goal can be realized.

I've spent countless times over the years writing lengthy posts with your assumption, but I never really got the sense it did any good since I never received any follow up from these alleged lurkers. Even if they exist, I'm still not sure it's worth the time it takes to write everything out. :p 

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've spent countless times over the years writing lengthy posts with your assumption, but I never really got the sense it did any good since I never received any follow up from these alleged lurkers. Even if they exist, I'm still not sure it's worth the time it takes to write everything out. :p 

They do. I know of people who have told me so. And I also know of many people who said that they changed their position observing those kinds of online discussions in the general (i.e., not necessarily my discussions, but watching other people do the same).

But ultimately of course it remains a matter of whether it's worth your own personal time to do it for that. These days, I usually prefer investing my time--even my internet browsing time--on something else.

57 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

We exist. I don't post much because I need an in person dialogue in order to flesh out my own arguments. This probably doesn't make any sense, but there are few arguments that I enter into with a definitive perspective. I may have a strong opinion on something, but I'm not always sure why. The back and forth (I'm a drummer; call and response is life) helps resolve that for me. Otherwise I almost feel like I'm arguing with myself. 

All that to say, don't post on my account, but I do appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean, the narrative being presented here is so mindbogglingly scatterbrained, this is clear textbook insanity.

I call people snowflakes? No, I was called that first and then owned it by calling myself a snowflake afterwards. But your perception of reality won't allow you to see the truth. You want to call me sexist for spotlighting how one twitter reviewer used the the fact that since this movie has three female leads that that alone is a reason to think this movie is good? No one with any kind of higher education would think that - not in a million years. You want to say I'm the troll when my posts always related back to this movie because this thread is created for this movie? Yet it's you that's only been focused on my apparent sexism, ignoring the movie entirely with your posts, and you getting angrier that I have a reluctance to reply to your psychotic rants against me.

I'm not sorry, but you're a classic basket case who wants to controversialize the source rather than face the story itself. You can't admit to your own sexism, so you create a narrative in your own head to attack others. And any reply I make, ANY REPLY, can't get past your mental blocks. I intentionally avoid hard posts with replies? How about there's very little point in talking to someone who doesn't want to listen to you anyways. I avoid you and the trolls here. And every once in awhile when I can build up the mental stamina, I try to post the blatant facts of your sociopathic lies, which always just go over your head. The only reason why I do reply once in awhile to your inane banter is for my own sanity.

Get help. One day you might go on these tangents without the safety and anonymity of the internet to hide you, and then you'll be stuck having to defend yourself in the real world against real people who won't put up with your bullshit.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:35 AM, IdeaOfEvil said:

Gotta love those SJW access media comments. Better slip in how this movie is awesome because it has 3 female leads being all badass so woke studios will keep inviting you back to critic screenings, lol

Anywho, I just hope the Force Awakens comparisons aren't too on the nose with this movie repeating T2 beat for beat. Cuz even if T3 T4 and T5 all suck, they still had redeeming qualities to them that shouldn't be ignored (Skynet killing Connor's generals as kids, John isn't just the leader of the resistance after the bombs fell, instead of Skynet just assassinating John they want to use him as a terminator model, etc...)

Until this post, there had only been posts about the trailer and the previous films. 

19 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I mean, the narrative being presented here is so mindbogglingly scatterbrained, this is clear textbook insanity.

I call people snowflakes? No, I was called that first and then owned it by calling myself a snowflake afterwards. But your perception of reality won't allow you to see the truth. You want to call me sexist for spotlighting how one twitter reviewer used the the fact that since this movie has three female leads that that alone is a reason to think this movie is good? No one with any kind of higher education would think that - not in a million years. You want to say I'm the troll when my posts always related back to this movie because this thread is created for this movie? Yet it's you that's only been focused on my apparent sexism, ignoring the movie entirely with your posts, and you getting angrier that I have a reluctance to reply to your psychotic rants against me.

I'm not sorry, but you're a classic basket case who wants to controversialize the source rather than face the story itself. You can't admit to your own sexism, so you create a narrative in your own head to attack others. And any reply I make, ANY REPLY, can't get past your mental blocks. I intentionally avoid hard posts with replies? How about there's very little point in talking to someone who doesn't want to listen to you anyways. I avoid you and the trolls here. And every once in awhile when I can build up the mental stamina, I try to post the blatant facts of your sociopathic lies, which always just go over your head. The only reason why I do reply once in awhile to your inane banter is for my own sanity.

Get help. One day you might go on these tangents without the safety and anonymity of the internet to hide you, and then you'll be stuck having to defend yourself in the real world against real people who won't put up with your bullshit.

Nah, you're just deflecting and didn't even address any of my points, or how everyone in this thread agrees with me and not you (hence the posters I mentioned). You blocked me, so not sure why you're addressing me. Go be a sexist asshole, own it, I don't care. I'm just calling it like I see it. But sure, if you want to imply I have some mental illness of some kind, go ahead (classy, and not at all insensitive to the mentally ill, asshole). Another user implied I have mental health issues a few months ago (I believe it was Dodger or some other loathesome poster) and in that regard no one agreed with him either. Weird how sexist assholes tell people they sound "crazy" because we don't accept your stupid comments about "SJW's" because we fight assholes and bullies here, we speak up. You still remain a sexist.

How do you know @sblfilms won't listen to you? Or @SaysWho?? I gave up on you long ago so I don't expect you to respond to me, my entire posts earlier are about other users engaging with you, not myself. I have years of evidence of your behaviour, (observed over the years) I'm a lawyer by trade (so I put all the evidence together, and voila), so I know what you are. Simple as that. Seems others here are wising up to that as well.

Do you think @CitizenVectron and @SFLUFAN liked my earlier posts (as seen by the upvotes, etc.) because I'm a "classic basket case"? Your post doesn't make sense when taking into account the whole community. Attempting to single me out isn't going to work here, despite being a typical bullying tactic. "No, it's you." (denial). "You're nuts." (male gaslighting). "You're actually the sexist." (projection). My two younger brothers are psychiatrists, you fit all the easy hallmarks of a sexist. It's all right there. I dare you to find one honest user on this board who finds me sexist. Whereas multiple users, by comparison, are questioning you in this very thread. But sure, ignore all of these points, and call me crazy.

• Like 1

IdeaOfEvil just has to be trolling the idea of everyone thinking he's sexist, and that post that sparked this debate in this thread just screamed out as bait to me; he knew people would call him out for bringing out the sexism again. Just ignore him guys. 

To get back on topic, I really hope that this movie is good and can course correct this series. If not, I think it's time to just terminate it all together and stop making more....until the inevitable reboot that just starts over fresh :p

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

just has to be trolling the idea of everyone thinking he's sexist, and that post that sparked this debate in this thread just screamed out as bait to me; he knew people would call him out for bringing out the sexism again. Just ignore him guys. 

To get back on topic, I really hope that this movie is good and can course correct this series. If not, I think it's time to just terminate it all together and stop making more...until the inevitable reboot that just starts over fresh :p

If they truly want to reboot this story, it has to be a complete reimagining I think. Some of the principles and concepts they are holding on to are just outdated. And they would need to start with fresh stars and characters and just put Arnold and Linda to rest. There's a rich mythology they can play with here if done right.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:19 PM, IdeaOfEvil said:

Jesus f'n Christ... the audacity of the familiar faces around here who do all that they can to attack me and not care that they're defending bigotry as a result, and then pat each other on the backs like you're all not mentally ill.

Move on. Talk about this dam movie for a change, and stop trying to turn movie reviews into moral check marks that need to supersede entertainment.

:rolleyes:

"Talk about this dam movie for a change" says the first poster to stop talking about the movie for a change. That shit is rich.

• Haha 2

On 10/23/2019 at 4:57 PM, silentbob said:

It will be interesting reading the reviews. One of the local news stations in Toronto had a review, and a negative one too. The reviewer didn’t really describe the movie much but more like ranted on about a movie written by men, given Hamilton no more but manly grunting one liners.

1) they are wrong. She has far more than just grunting one liners. 
2) where she does kind of makes sense after an interview I saw with her and Arnold. Arnold mentions that after decades she’s turned more cold and robotic, like a Terminator. 

Anyways, I liked it. I want to rewatch T2 and compare. There is so much to compare to. But of coarse there would be with a shape shifting terminator and a super strong protector from the future. 

it was a good action movie. I felt like at times it was trying to be more. To be like a Logan. To transcend the genre that spawned it, but it doesn’t really. That’s fine. I didn’t go in expecting the Terminator’s Logan. I went in expecting another Terminator. I do feel it was better than T3. Tone wise I felt T3 was a bit campy. It’s more inline with Genesis with its tone, without being stupid like Genesis. So it’s more like T2 in tone. 

see it if

-you like Terminator

-like action movies with good production value

-have to see every movie with Arnold. 

don’t see it if

-you hate seeing women kick ass

-can’t stand the Terminator franchise

-need your movies to make a political or social statement you align with. 

12 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

as I said in another thread....it was entertaining but completely unnecessary. Word is it's underperforming. If they really want to revive the series I think they are going to need a total reboot. 

The problem is how can they go about it. The Bale Terminator didn’t do all that well, and the fans want to see Arnold and other familiar elements. 

Really, what worked for a horror movie from the 80s that turned into an action sci-fi franchise doesn’t really play as well. 

For one thing, the human form is not even close to the most efficient form factor for everything. Other than infiltration models it makes no sense for the majority of Terminators to be built in a humanoid form. An AI would know this and design accordingly. But can you have a Terminator movie without humanoid Terminators? 

Saw it last night. For a movie that’s essentially a sequel to T2 that features people illegally crossing into the US from Mexico then getting into a scrap in an internment camp... it sure has little to say about Sarah Connor or the border.

It’s worth a watch but possibly not your time and money at a theater. 

On 11/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The problem is how can they go about it. The Bale Terminator didn’t do all that well, and the fans want to see Arnold and other familiar elements. 

Really, what worked for a horror movie from the 80s that turned into an action sci-fi franchise doesn’t really play as well. 

For one thing, the human form is not even close to the most efficient form factor for everything. Other than infiltration models it makes no sense for the majority of Terminators to be built in a humanoid form. An AI would know this and design accordingly. But can you have a Terminator movie without humanoid Terminators? 

Highlighted the important part. With the resurgence horror has had over the years, this is the direction to go.

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It really is. They need to make a suspenseful, horror Terminator movie. 

They don't even have to throw the existing history. That's never a necessity when you're dealing with time travel. Just send a terminator after a very young Sarah Connor. I mean, like ten or something. With the right young actress, you can tell a story of her family slowly being killed off while the machine/s hunt her down.

I thought it was pretty good. I thought there was just enough fan service without going overboard. I don't know all the actors' names but Grace was a solid performance. I think the people out there saying that Linda Hamilton was only there for one-liners didn't actually watch the movie. Arnold was great even if the whole concept of Carl was this side of campy. Overall I'd give it a 7/10.

Also if you hated Edward Furlong back in T2 (I didn't) then the first 60 seconds of this movie will make you a very happy person.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I thought it was pretty good. I thought there was just enough fan service without going overboard. I don't know all the actors' names but Grace was a solid performance. I think the people out there saying that Linda Hamilton was only there for one-liners didn't actually watch the movie. Arnold was great even if the whole concept of Carl was this side of campy. Overall I'd give it a 7/10.

Also if you hated Edward Furlong back in T2 (I didn't) then the first 60 seconds of this movie will make you a very happy person.

I don't mind being spoiled. What happens?

Sorry, I know it is already over, but you can't just tell someone you blocked them. You literally admit defeat if you tell them you block them, and I lol'd when I read that ITT.  Also, even if this is a SJW movie, just don't watch it and don't talk about it. Really that simple. Like, ranting about it isn't gonna change Hollywood's movie direction. If you do want to rant about it is better to do it anonymously so you can run away.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't mind being spoiled. What happens?

Spoiler

Sarah tells the story of what happened to her after T2, though quite honestly I think they de-aged her and Furlong too much, Edward looks like he's 9 or something. As you know they stopped Judgement Day from happening and are down in Mexico or somewhere tropical trying to live a normal life or whatever, and Arnold comes strolling up and kills Edward. 

• Thanks 1

Just saw it... solid action flick if not completely unnecessary. There were some great action scenes and McKenzie Philiips was awesome. Movie is looking like it will be a flop though as it is underperforming James Cameron seems to think he knows why

While there has been scuttlebutt about an over-budget production, a set that went dark for a few days, script problems (it was punched out by a writers room that included Josh Friedman, Justin Rhodes and David S. Goyer), with creative battles between Tim Miller and producer James Cameron during editing, with the latter recently revealing to CinemaBlend at a recent roundtable junket that he had many battles with the Deadpool director, that “the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. So, yeah. But that’s the creative process, right? I mean, my work with Robert on Alita was very different. Robert loved the script, loved everything, said, ‘I just want to make this movie. I want to make the movie the way you see it.’ I was like, ‘No, you got to make it your movie.’ I had the reverse experience with Tim, which is Tim wanted to make it his movie. And I’m like, ‘Yeah, but I kind of know a little about this world.’ So I had the matter and the anti-matter version of that producorial experience.” 

I've heard Cameron is a nightmare to work with.