Terminator: Dark Fate Official trailer

12 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

None of them were past the first one. They all were a retread other than Salvation which I liked. I suspect sequels keep being made just to hold on to the copywrite.

That isn't how the movie rights work for the Terminator franchise.

Cameron ended up selling the rights to the film for $1 to producer Gale Anne Hurd, under the promise that he would direct the film. Hurd suggested edits to the script and got a screenwriting credit, and Cameron got to direct his project.

The Terminator was distributed by Orion Pictures, but the rights have been bouncing around ever since. TriStar had them for Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and later jumped to Warner Bros. for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and Terminator Salvation.

The rights to Terminator were auctioned in 2011, and after a bidding war that included studios like Lionsgate and Sony, Megan Ellison from Annapurna Pictures acquired them for $20 million. Ellison later sold them to her brother, Skydance Media’s CEO David Ellison, and that’s where they’re currently at. Skydance’s first Terminator film was Terminator Genisys in 2015, which was intended to be the first of a new trilogy, but it wasn’t well received by critics. And even though it became the second highest-grossing entry in the franchise, it failed to break even, and so a sequel couldn’t be greenlit.

Skydance had to rethink their plans before their time was up and they lost the rights, and in 2017 it was announced that their second film, Terminator: Dark Fate, would be a direct sequel to Terminator 2, thus rebooting the series. Terminator: Dark Fate brought James Cameron back to the franchise as producer – this in hopes that he could help create a better film than Genisys. That same year, Cameron said he was working with Ellison to set up a new Terminator trilogy as he would be getting the rights back soon, but those plans were momentarily blocked as Cameron is not the only one getting the rights back in the near future.

A feature in the U.S. copyright law allows authors to get the rights back from studios once 35 years have passed after original publication. According to THR, Gale Anne Hurd has “moved to terminate a copyright grant made 35 years ago”, meaning that Skydance could lose the rights to Terminator starting in November 2020, thus not being able to make more films unless they come to an agreement with both Hurd and Cameron, as it would be a 50-50 split on the Terminator rights. Given that Cameron is already working with the studio to bring more Terminator films after Dark Fate with this change in mind, there shouldn’t be a problem with him, as recently assured by Skydance, who released a statement saying they have “a deal in place with Jim Cameron” and control the rights “for the foreseeable future”. Hurd hasn’t commented on that yet, but Skydance’s statement sounds like they have also reached an agreement with her.

https://screenrant.com/terminator-movie-rights-explained/

21 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

T2 felt a lot different than T1 despite the same chase concept, much of it because the relationships between the target and the savior from the future are way different.

Shout out to that Wolfie scene in 2, btw.

ALL of the Terminator movies have been chase movies basically and it's way past time they move past that. There's potential to explore in the universe but the movies just won't do it. The Terminators clearly have the ability to learn and move past their programming  and even evolve something akin to emotion, but this aspect has only been explored on the most superficial level. Also the time travel aspect has only been treated as a plot device and hasn't been full explored either... in fact the rules of their time travel never made sense to me because if only organic matter can pass through then how do the more advance Terminators like the T-1000 and Rev-9 make it through when they don't seem to have any organic parts?

I've always enjoyed the idea of the Terminator movies more than the actual films (except for one and two) but if they want to gain new fans and keep the franchise alive, they need to move past Arnold and the Connors and start fresh. I mean we've passed the actual date of the apocalypse in the by almost 30 years :lol: If THAT doesn't tell you it's time to rethink your premise, nothing will.

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

ALL of the Terminator movies have been chase movies basically and it's way past time they move past that. There's potential to explore in the universe but the movies just won't do it. The Terminators clearly have the ability to learn and move past their programming  and even evolve something akin to emotion, but this aspect has only been explored on the most superficial level. Also the time travel aspect has only been treated as a plot device and hasn't been full explored either... in fact the rules of their time travel never made sense to me because if only organic matter can pass through then how do the more advance Terminators like the T-1000 and Rev-9 make it through when they don't seem to have any organic parts?

I've always enjoyed the idea of the Terminator movies more than the actual films (except for one and two) but if they want to gain new fans and keep the franchise alive, they need to move past Arnold and the Connors and start fresh. I mean we've passed the actual date of the apocalypse in the by almost 30 years :lol: If THAT doesn't tell you it's time to rethink your premise, nothing will.

Spoiler

They did move past the Connors and Skynet.

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah but they're all still in the movie... My point is that for fan service or whatever, Sarah, John and Arnold are STILL front and center in the film, it's STILL a chase movie essentially and it doesn't really explore anything from a plot standpoint that every other Terminator movie has going back to the very first one. "Evil Artificial Intelligence from the future sends a robotic assassin back through time to kill its enemies it couldn't defeat in the future." Audiences have seen that movie... several times. Clearly they aren't really interested anymore.

I just want the opening of T2 and Reese's flashback scenes stretched out to two hours. That's really all I've wanted since T2. Salvation gave me something like that, and I enjoyed it. But it didn't have that Cameron Polish and got really convoluted when I just wanted a futuristic war movie with laser guns. Which the movie also didn't have.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I just want the opening of T2 and Reese's flashback scenes stretched out to two hours. That's really all I've wanted since T2. Salvation gave me something like that, and I enjoyed it. But it didn't have that Cameron Polish and got really convoluted when I just wanted a futuristic war movie with laser guns. Which the movie also didn't have.

The snapshots we’ve gotten of that is all of it I ever want.

15 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

This might be the closest we get to that bruh

They even have the music :drool:

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Three games I want coming out on the same day smdh (this, Pokemon, Fallen Order). I don't think I've had a day like that since before I was married.

This doesn't come out until December. Fallen Order comes out next week I believe. No way I buy this game full price but it seems like it would be cool to pick up cheap.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This doesn't come out until December. Fallen Order comes out next week I believe. No way I buy this game full price but it seems like it would be cool to pick up cheap.

Oh really? The splash screen at the end said Nov 15th.

Edit: Steam also says it's the 15th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/

12 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I see. You probably missed my edit. But Steam still thinks it's the 15th.

i just checked, it's November 15th in Europe and Australia and December 10th in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator:_Resistance

Terminator: Resistance is a first-person shooter action video game, set to be released on November 15, 2019 in Europe and Australia, and on December 10, 2019 in North America

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it last night. It was fine. It doesn't do much to justify its existence, but it's entertaining enough. There's very little point in going down the Terminator logic wormhole, but I still couldn't help but thinking about something after the movie.

I really think the accidental message of Dark Fate is that these leaders of men don't really matter, it's the inventors and the scientists that actually control our fate.

Spoiler

John Connor dies as a kid, but Judgement day still gets set back 30 years (or something, I forget the exact dates). So what presumably changed the future in T2 obviously wasn't saving John, it was the raid on Cyberdyne and the death of Miles Dyson. While basically the same future still happens, it's notably different (legion instead of skynet) and it happens much later.

So yeah, it's probably good for Sarah Connor to be hunting Terminators and preventing important people from dying, but she also says that they only appear years apart. If she really wants to take fate into her own hands and prevent (or at least delay) judgement day, she should be hunting the Miles Dyson's of the world. Hell, that's probably what the humans should be using their time machines for: sending back arguments to hunt down the creators of computer systems that kill them all. Screw the charismatic leaders, let the Terminators have them, another will take their place anyways. Prevent the Terminators in the first place you fools.

Also, that might make a Terminator sequel I'd be excited about. Munich meets Terminator 1. Reluctant assassin's from the future hunting the as-of-yet innocent men that bring about our doom. Make it for $30M instead of the $185M (!!) they spent on this.

Tim Miller won't be working with James Cameron again anytime soon.

Most filmmakers hide for a while after a bomb, but not ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ director Tim Miller. 

Miller thought it was a dream come true when he got a chance to direct a new Terminator movie with James Cameron on board as a producer. Then he actually had to make the movie. After dealing with script troubles, a difficult shoot, and intense disagreements on the final edit, Miller watched as ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ met a dark fate at the box office. 

Following his movie’s disappointing opening, we asked him whether he thought he would ever work with producer James Cameron again. 

“No,” Miller said, “but it has nothing to do with whatever trauma I have from the experience, it’s more that I just don’t want to be in a situation again where I don’t have the control to do what I think is right.”

Miller talks us through that “trauma” and tries to figure why audiences were not saying “I’ll be back”...for another Terminator movie. He also tells us about the shock of waking up the morning of his film’s premiere to find fires ravaging Southern California, and how he managed to pull a screening together after Paramount had to cancel the official premiere because of those fires. 

I can tell you why audiences "didn't come back". Because you guys keep making the same movie over and over again.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, TwinIon said:

Saw it last night. It was fine. It doesn't do much to justify its existence, but it's entertaining enough. There's very little point in going down the Terminator logic wormhole, but I still couldn't help but thinking about something after the movie.

I really think the accidental message of Dark Fate is that these leaders of men don't really matter, it's the inventors and the scientists that actually control our fate.

Reveal hidden contents

Assuming they know the names. After the world goes the hell, I’m sure one of the first things Legion would do is eliminate access to digital communication. Taking over or destroying satellites, cell towers, and servers. 

I’m surprised they even know what the AI was called. Sure people would have their theories or conspiracies, but who’s to say which AI was really responsible. And even if you could point to one specifically and say “it was definitely an AI made by Google.” That doesn’t mean you know who the actual key developers behind the AI were. 

I will say this though, if time travel is a thing both sides are using, I cannot see why the AI would not send infiltration units to safeguard its own creation. Just in case the humans figured out the AI’s origin.