Voice cast for Illumination’s Mario movie has been announced, and it’s questionable

Kamusha

22 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This flick is printing all the money 

mario-luiigi.png?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

The Super Mario Bros Movie is plunging into global markets with an estimated $368M worldwide opening

• Shocked 1

If I didn’t grow up playing Mario games this would have been so boring and pointless. It’s not actually a good movie, but I still had a lot of fun. The theater was full of happy kids, it’s 90 minutes of Easter eggs, callbacks, references, loud noises and chaotic kid movie energy held together by a shoestring of a plot designed only to move the characters from action sequence to action sequence. That said, I had a good time and I’m glad I saw it. My 10 year old son also loved it.  It’s pure fan service, but whatever, I’m a fan, service me.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:19 PM, Ghost_MH said:

My oldest watched this and says he wants to watch it again. Knowing this song is in the movie clues me in to about the kind of film I can expect.

I love JB as a singer and I wish he had more real music. I don't mean not funny, but just like 2-4 minute songs that I can listen to that also aren't part of some series or movies. I mean, I love the Tenacious D PoD album and there are other great songs like Tribute, but I was not a fan of that weird cartoon web show bit.

I had my expectations suitably lowered, and I thought this movie was a lot of silly fun. It's definitely not Pixar's Up, nor is it trying to be, but I had a good time watching it.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, Greatoneshere said:

No surprise - like the Michael Bay Transformer sequels which all made incredible bank despite being terrible movies, people like spectacles, even if it's all sound and fury with no substance. Like Avatar, I think this movie will make a lot of money.

Personally I'd rank it MUCH higher than any Bay Transformers movie.

• True 1

5 hours ago, Reputator said:

I had my expectations suitably lowered, and I thought this movie was a lot of silly fun. It's definitely not Pixar's Up, nor is it trying to be, but I had a good time watching it.

Personally I'd rank it MUCH higher than any Bay Transformers movie.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that they were of the same quality, just that both may be a lot more style than substance is all.

30 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Looks like its sure to reach a billion.

Hasn’t even launched in Japan yet.

super-mario-bros-movie.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

The film has now grossed $677 million in its first week and a half…

Correction, it passed $700m today.

Those are crazy numbers.

@sblfilms right now:

Super Mario Nintendo GIF

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

0avfzprrjzua1.jpg

:rofl:

I've seen similar takes from real sites and blogs and it just reminds me I'm old. For Zoomers just checking out Mario 93 today, it probably comes across as inventive and taking risks because they just don't have the context of late 80s/early 90s sci-fi and how Mario 93 is just a poor imitation of other movies from the era...just with a weird veneer of Mario.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I've seen similar takes from real sites and blogs and it just reminds me I'm old. For Zoomers just checking out Mario 93 today, it probably comes across as inventive and taking risks because they just don't have the context of late 80s/early 90s sci-fi and how Mario 93 is just a poor imitation of other movies from the era...just with a weird veneer of Mario.

This. Movies from each era feel so very different, don't they? Whenever my wife and I go back and watch a movie from the 80's, it's a certain vibe. From the 90's, similarly (with overlap, nothing is monolithic of course). In some ways, with how aggressive and stylistic movies have become (which is good) sometimes the simplicity and all practical effects and real sets with no CG at all comes off as super refreshing after a decade plus of everything being too digital and too slick sometimes.

Also, most movies come off these days as so algorithmically based and created that you have to go to indies, foreign content or art house stuff to get anything interesting anymore. To a degree, that's always been the case, but like with everything else, those interesting mid-tier projects that used to be made all the time have moved to streaming or dried up entirely or you can get it with TV shows instead, which is a way different thing.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, legend said:

I just watched this... on twitter.

People are just posting the whole thing on twitter and twitter is way to slow (and probably understaffed) to catch it fast enough.

Where? Asking so I can be sure to steer clear of this flagrant piracy.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Where? Asking so I can be sure to steer clear of this flagrant piracy.

You're going to have to chase around :p The one I used got taken down after I finished. I saw another person had posted another after that, but it's probably down now too and you'd have to find another.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I saw it on twitter earlier but it was only an hour of it. I didn't watch it though. :p

I think 1 hours is the upload limit. For the person I used, they had the second part in the first reply.

I was not prepared for just how pandering this movie would be. It was really a non-stop assault of gameplay references and needle drops, with just enough plot to hold together. It's kind of impressive that they did manage to make something that is just constant game references that also thrilled my young nieces who have never played a Mario game in their lives. Not something I'll breathlessly recommend to people that don't have kids to see it with, but I wouldn't tell people to avoid it either.

I was reasonably skeptical of this movie from the get go because it's Illumination but have been pleasantly surprised by how bring and colorful the animation is. Nintendo's creative involvement is certainly felt. This movie looks exactly how a Mario movie should look. I wanna see it in theaters but will wait till the kiddie audience wans.

As for the movie itself, "perfectly fine" and "just okay" are on the high end of what I expect from an Illumination joint. If it's just an okay movie with gorgeous visuals and plenty of fun easter eggs then I consider it a best case scenario for Illumination's Mario movie.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I watched this last night, might be a new "HDR Showcase" movie to add to my list. The movie itself was "fine", I'm really unsure what some of you who hated it were expecting :p 

Yeah, I watched it with my kids last night. It was fine. It wasn't Toy Story, but I also wasn't expecting Toy Story.

12 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Sequel should lean into the karts and rip off The Fast and the Furious. Luigi's in a pickle after betting the pink slip to his kart, and the Mario gang have to scrap together the ultimate racer to rescue his family.

Rosalina starts selling star bits cut with poison mushrooms, Toads are dying left and right, and only the Mario boys can clean these mean streets. Anything’s possible with family and whatnot.