Voice cast for Illumination’s Mario movie has been announced, and it’s questionable

Kamusha

I guess Pratt was fine. He didn't speak much. Every other voice seemed good though and the animation looked great. This should be better than the Sonic movie for a lot of reasons.

For those saying Martinet would be annoying for a whole movie are acting like Mario will be talking constantly through the whole thing . Maybe he talks infrequently. Heck if he talks as much as he does in the trailer Martinet would be fine. Imagine how magical it would sound in the trailer if it was his voice.

Heck, for that matter listen to the french dub people are thrilled with, sounds true to Mario's voice .

Looks pretty solid - CG art is on point and they filled out the world of Mario correctly from the games. Pratt just sounded like Pratt at first, which is weird coming out of the Mario 3D character design, but at the end when he says: "Mushroom Kingdom, here we come!" was much better and fit the character design. I'm in if it gets good reviews.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I guess Pratt was fine. He didn't speak much. Every other voice seemed good though and the animation looked great. This should be better than the Sonic movie for a lot of reasons.

For those saying Martinet would be annoying for a whole movie are acting like Mario will be talking constantly through the whole thing . Maybe he talks infrequently. Heck if he talks as much as he does in the trailer Martinet would be fine. Imagine how magical it would sound in the trailer if it was his voice.

Heck, for that matter listen to the french dub people are thrilled with, sounds true to Mario's voice .

You can't do a silent protagonist in a movie in a movie like this. It would be exceptionally weird to have everyone else taking normally and then the friendly Mario talking only in one liners here.

Even the French guy doesn't sound Mario-like when he's quietly talking to himself. He gets way more excited running off with Road in French than he does in the other dubs. There's zero chance Mario is forever excited or yelling, so even that French dub is only going to sound like that sparingly.

This is way too much even for ten minutes.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

You can't do a silent protagonist in a movie in a movie like this. It would be exceptionally weird to have everyone else taking normally and then the friendly Mario talking only in one liners here.

I agree, but I never said silent protagonist. I said not frequently speaking. Like it won't be a constant Tarintino monologue the whole movie.

28 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Even the French guy doesn't sound Mario-like when he's quietly talking to himself. He gets way more excited running off with Road in French than he does in the other dubs. There's zero chance Mario is forever excited or yelling, so even that French dub is only going to sound like that sparingly.

I think he will be using the more excited voice than the whispering voice the whole movie. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they said Pratt sounds like the mom from Bob's Burgers.

32 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is way too much even for ten minutes.

Seemed fine to me :shrug:

That voice isn't working for me. Maybe when we hear more it'll change my mind, but right now I'm wishing it was Martinet still. Hollywood needs to stop hiring actors to voice characters just because they're big names, especially if they don't have good previous voice work (there are some who do of course) 

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

For those saying Martinet would be annoying for a whole movie are acting like Mario will be talking constantly through the whole thing . Maybe he talks infrequently.

It’s a kids movie. He will talk a lot.

I don't understand using big name actors for voicework when there is better vocal talent out there. Does anyone go "Oh shit actor X is the voice of this character so that's why I'm going to see it!"? Well actually America stuff/reasons so yea they probably do....

19 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I don't understand using big name actors for voicework when there is better vocal talent out there. Does anyone go "Oh shit actor X is the voice of this character so that's why I'm going to see it!"? Well actually America stuff/reasons so yea they probably do....

Like when they got Billy Bob Thorton in Princess Mononoke. Like OMG! Then turn on the subs and Japanese VO.

Get Keith Silverstein in there or something and actually blow people away

27 minutes ago, Ominous said:

It is indeed marketing. One of the reasons you put The Rock in your movie is dude will pump that thing all over the internet, on talk shows, and drive ticket sales. 

Illumination wants Chris Pratt on the Tonight Show and the Late Show talking up this flick next year.

Hiring big name live-action actors for voice actor work has always been a thing, and the reason is marketing (as sblfilms said) and name recognition because yes, sadly, people go to moves for recognizable names they like, not usually for the actual behind the scenes creative talent unless it's Spielberg or Nolan or something. And as a person who watches a lot of anime (and listens to English dubs for the most part with anime), I think regular voice talent should always take priority because they are typically better (I just watched Blade Runner: Black Lotus and the regular anime dub talent in supporting roles blows most of the high profile main cast away). 

All that being said, it's not that strange for live action actors to do voice work - they already do it for ADR, etc. for their films a lot of the time, which is very much a sort of dubbing. Re-recording lines in a voice booth during post-production after a film has wrapped shooting happens frequently and is pretty akin to regular voice work. As for Chris Pratt, even as a person who isn't a big fan of his (he's good in certain modes but doesn't push himself enough frequently), he's been voice acting since 2010, with seven voice acting credits to his name, including big budget animated films (The Lego Movie 1+2, Onward), three video games and one animated TV show (a two-episode stint on Ben 10: Ultimate Alien). I mean, let's be honest, for the most part Chris Pratt is just Andy Dwyer/Peter Quill/Owen Grady (that guy from Jurassic World)/Emmett Brickowski (the Lego movies). Yeah he's done stuff like The Magnificent Seven, Passengers, The Tomorrow War and The Terminal List (TV show) (all pretty forgettable) but his most interesting work was Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty and Her and those were in 2011-2013. Regardless, Pratt is familiar with voice acting at this point. Whether he's a good voice actor is another question entirely. I haven't played the video games he's in or seen Ben 10 but he sounded basically like himself in both Lego movies and Onward. I did like what I heard at the end of the trailer though.

TL;DR: Chris Pratt has enough voice acting experience at this point to know how to voice act, but at the same time, he's never shown a lot of range as an actor, either in live-action or in his previous voice work so far, for the most part. Given he's going to be voicing both Mario and Garfield, he better step his game up.

• Sicko 1

12 hours ago, Brick said:

That voice isn't working for me. Maybe when we hear more it'll change my mind, but right now I'm wishing it was Martinet still. Hollywood needs to stop hiring actors to voice characters just because they're big names, especially if they don't have good previous voice work (there are some who do of course) 

Martinet does weird noises and sounds for him.

It sounded fine, and looks absolutely fantastic. Im looking forward to it.

I'm not fully sure how I feel on this one. I thought the trailer looked ok, not amazing but for something so far out it's not great to judge this early. I was impressed with Jack Black's bowser. He sounded like something that felt like bowser and not just JB's normal voice. On the opposite end while I generally like Chris Pratt it just felt a bit boring and too much like CP. =/

On the flip side everybody bitched about ryan reynolds in detective pikachu but I mostly enjoyed it in the end.