Voice cast for Illumination’s Mario movie has been announced, and it’s questionable

Kamusha

• Chris Pratt as Mario 
  • Anya Taylor-Joy as Peach 
  • Charlie Day as Luigi 
  • Jack Black as Bowser 
  • Keegan-Michael Key as Toad 
  • Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong 
  • Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong 
  • Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek 
  • Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike

I had low expectations for a Mario movie from Illumination, but this still feels wrong. The Mario characters already have iconic voices associated with them. Why not use those voice actors or other talented voice actors who can deliver something important? I get that celebrity voice casts are good for marketing but the Mario brand is arguably more known than most of these names, if not all of them. Just a lot of baffling decisions all around.

17 hours ago, Firewithin said:

its amazing how the world is in unison with hating pratt as mario and basically like whatever on anyone else

I don’t hate Chris Pratt as much as the internet does. He was good in Onward. But he’s just such a wrong choice for Mario in every way.

The rest of the casting is whatever. It would be better with professional voice actors but for this sort of thing it’s what I expect from Illumination. Jack Black and Seth Rogen could be okay as Bowser and Donkey Kong, though I’ll have to see it for myself before I can truly say.

I’m scratching my head at there being actual takes on whether or not these actors can properly portray characters from a video game with as little story and character work as the Mario series.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m scratching my head at there being actual takes on whether or not these actors can properly portray characters from a video game with as little story and character work as the Mario series.

I think it's more about the thought of what these characters are going to sound like after decades of Charles Martinet.

At the same time, yeah, Mario was never going to sound anything like Charles Martinet. Even putting aside the over the top accent, it would be wildly grating over the course of 90 or so minutes.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Word. I was thinking people were worried about representation or something. I think Chris Pratt can be very animated, he's just been stuck doing generic blockbusters in the role of generic white dude.

There's just a weird dissonance for me hearing celebrity voices coming out of the mouths of Mario universe characters is all. Like they shouldn't be modern, celebrity voices, I dunno. Mario feels timeless, in a way, and modern voices done normally dates the universe to some degree. 

Then again, I enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog movie and ultimately had no problem with Jean-Ralphio voicing Sonic.

21 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Mario is not a complex character or anything but he’s been given a lot of personality thorough his expressive animation and voice acting. Fans already have ideas of what to expect from him. With animation in general you can giver the audiences so much I information with so little.

Mickey Mouse isn’t a complex character either but if Steve Buscemi voiced him you’d probably think that’s a weird choice too.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I guess I just don’t think that what a person’s normal voice sounds like is particularly important to whether they can act well with their voice.

I liked Chris Pratt in Onward and the Lego Movie but don't think his voice acting fits well with the character of Mario.

Also should be noted that Mario is Italian. It feels weird to cast someone who is a very "all-American" type.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I guess I just don’t think that what a person’s normal voice sounds like is particularly important to whether they can act well with their voice.

Charles Martinet who voices Mario in the games and is in this movie, is an actor who has done other things besides Mario, so the head scratching part is picking a guy who will just sound like Chris Pratt.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Charles Martinet who voices Mario in the games and is in this movie, is an actor who has done other things besides Mario, so the head scratching part is picking a guy who will just sound like Chris Pratt.

The head scratching part is that this exists at all, and that people are actually interested in the cast. 

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yea, very head scratching why the producers would choose an A-Lister with experience in big budget voice acting over a guy only people who post on video game message boards could name.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Yea, very head scratching why the producers would choose an A-Lister with experience in big budget voice acting over a guy only people who post on video game message boards could name.

No the head scratcher is how you'll be able to fit all the people in your theater with the overwhelming demand the movie will have thanks to Christ Pratt being in it.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s a Mario movie. The ubiquity of the brand sells itself. I thought it was understood that movie star draw isn’t really a thing anymore. Average audiences care more about brands and franchises than movie stars.

31 minutes ago, Komusha said:

It’s a Mario movie. The ubiquity of the brand sells itself. I thought it was understood that movie star draw isn’t really a thing anymore. Average audiences care more about brands and franchises than movie stars.

As the saying went in the late 90s, “nobody got fired for putting George Clooney in the picture”. There is a CYA incentive towards using established names even if the era of the movie star is kinda/sorts over.