Voice cast for Illumination’s Mario movie has been announced, and it’s questionable

Kamusha

This is one where I feel confident the target audience will love it, and the target audience isn’t all the 30s and 40s dorks on gaming forums :p It is a kids movie through and through.

It clearly appeared overstuffed for a 90 minute animated film based on the trailers, which means little room for actual characters or a story. I'm sure the cameos, easter eggs, and fan service are awesome but being an actually good movie? I'm skeptical. I'm sure people will be enthralled, particularly kids (the target audience), with seeing the Mario world/universe, its designs and characters being represented in a beautifully animated CG feature film. But if it's all sound and fury signifying nothing, then that's a mark against the movie because then pretty much anything would do then (except for maybe the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie :p).

It's a shame we couldn't get something akin to the quality of The Lego Movie, something fun and fluffy but also actually a substantive movie that all ages can enjoy, not just kids alone (who can enjoy almost anything so who cares). Mario is such an old and beloved brand now that it deserves something of that level of quality. I mean, when you are getting quality animated films like The Lego Movie, Into the Spider-Verse, Kubo and the Two Strings, and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (to name just a few), doesn't Mario deserve that too?

Edit: I mean, when your screenplay is solely written by a guy (Matthew Fogel) responsible for writing Big Mommas: Like Fathers, Like Sons (I had to look this movie up, holy shit it looks bad) and Minions: The Rise of Gru, I'm not expecting quality. At least they got the duo who wrote and directed Teen Titans Go to the Movies (which was fun and solid at least) to direct this, but if the screenplay is really not good, no amount of directing, especially in an animated film, is going to save it. Again, Nintendo and Illumination not really bringing in top tier talent for such a brand, weird. If Disney can get Barry Jenkins to directed a prequel to the remake of The Lion King, Nintendo and Illumination can't court some real talent? I mean, they basically got randoms to make a Mario theatrical movie, and lest we forget Nintendo and Hollywood already screwed this up once in 1993. 

19 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, for a franchise this huge and multi-generational, you hope for something better than “well it’s just a dumb kids movie, who cares if adults don’t like it?”

Capitalism kiddo. It's an ad you pay for. You aren't used to it if you aren't a Gundam fan. (Anime is a vessel to sell plastic models story considerations are 2ndary to showing mecha model kits you can buy)

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Everybody should have had their expectations properly set when Illumination was announced as the production studio 😂

I bought the Prince of Egypt and I haven't watched it yet but hell yeah. The classic movies for kids of my childhood were the ones that went beyond being an ad for kids.

56 minutes ago, Brick said:

That was my exact worry. 

Plus with the theme park deal this is an ad for Universal Studios. Do they even have I guess a premium children's movie studio? Or is that Illumination and that's why we should've keep our expectations low?

I think this says it all.

image.png

It's probably objectively not very good, it's the kind of movie it was obvious critics will love to dump on, it's probably fun enough for what it is if you go in with zero expectations beyond it being a Mario memberberries movie.

I'm not sure about that audience score either. They seem like retaliatory ratings rather than real opinions. I saw on twitter before everyone had seen it people were already defending it and saying how they would love it and critics would hate it. Then people pointing to the sonic movie scores (The Sonic movie sucked too imo) were similar but higher critics rating actually.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This is one where I feel confident the target audience will love it, and the target audience isn’t all the 30s and 40s dorks on gaming forums :p It is a kids movie through and through.

Took my boys to see the Mario movie. I think it’s as good as a Mario movie can be. There’s not really any story or “why” for anything being the way it is in the video game. And there’s not in the movie either. Which I think is a good choice. Nobody wants to know how the mushrooms in the mushroom kingdom work. They just want to see them work. (Mida mushroom-chlorians). Anyways, the best part of watching the movie was watching my boys enjoy it and laugh and point out stuff from the games they recognize. But it’s really not a good movie narratively at all. No surprise there. Just lots of fan service which I guess is all people who are excited about this movie (I.e. kids) want.

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Took my boys to see the Mario movie. I think it’s as good as a Mario movie can be. There’s not really any story or “why” for anything being the way it is in the video game. And there’s not in the movie either. Which I think is a good choice. Nobody wants to know how the mushrooms in the mushroom kingdom work. They just want to see them work. (Mida mushroom-chlorians). Anyways, the best part of watching the movie was watching my boys enjoy it and laugh and point out stuff from the games they recognize. But it’s really not a good movie narratively at all. No surprise there. Just lots of fan service which I guess is all people who are excited about this movie (I.e. kids) want.

I took my son to see Mario today, and would agree with 100% of what you said.

• Halal 1

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm not sure about that audience score either. They seem like retaliatory ratings rather than real opinions. I saw on twitter before everyone had seen it people were already defending it and saying how they would love it and critics would hate it. Then people pointing to the sonic movie scores (The Sonic movie sucked too imo) were similar but higher critics rating actually.

I think you may prefer a higher quality of art to the average movie goer. To them it should/could be a break from their every day lives. So they expect it to be a dumb kids movie. It sounds like it is so it meets their expectation and they viewed watching it as a good to great time. 

Like I kinda wanna watch it with my mom because we stopped going to the movies with her working 2 jobs, cancer, depression, etc.

5 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I think you may prefer a higher quality of art to the average movie goer.

I wouldn't say that I do. If you pay attention to the rate the movie thread I literally watch everything. I think my tastes are a lot more open than most people here, who seem to have a very narrow taste of just watching whatever's popular.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I wouldn't say that I do. If you pay attention to the rate the movie thread I literally watch everything. I think my tastes are a lot more open than most people here, who seem to have a very narrow taste of just watching whatever's popular.

My mistake. I dont really pay attention to the what you are watching. I only post it when I find a super amazing show. Like my tastes are kinda bad actually. I am enjoying How I met your father. 

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

giphy.gif

The best part for theaters is that kids movies = waaaaaay more concessions sales per ticket sold than movies for audiences as the age ranges go up. Dads looking bleary eyed as their kids order item after item after item 😂

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The best part for theaters is that kids movies = waaaaaay more concessions sales per ticket sold than movies for audiences as the age ranges go up. Dads looking bleary eyed as their kids order item after item after item 😂

This was me. But I got the tickets and a few concession vouchers for free through work so it wasn't my money. But god damn, $35 for four drinks and two popcorns...

• Shocked 1

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

:lol:

And it's only 90 minutes long! You must be making mad bank.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

:lol:

And it's only 90 minutes long! You must be making mad bank.

these movies at my theatre 9/10 meant 3 matinees and not the usual 2. My managers would even have me thread the shows, have me stay and just run down the 15mins of trailers. So now the film will start from our Feature Presentation trailer and go straight into the film. I would have to advance a foil read to bring the theatre lights down as I skipped the first one on our leader film running then down. This gave us that extra 15 mins for cleaning as we usually had our hallways full of people waiting for the next show to get “the good” seats. Shrek 2 was that movie that broke us on this. Broke attendance records 3 days in a row 5,900 to 6,400+ on our Sunday, it was our May Holiday weekend. Although this sounds like a big weekend for Mario, but our Easter weekend was always one of our weakest for attendance :shrug:

• Haha 1

My daughter found it too scary so we bailed early.  It’s a kid movie with fan service for the adults.  I doubt I will ever bother to finish the movie.

I actually liked it up to the 

Spoiler

Mushroom Kingdom. The commercial being a highlight. Though I did find Mario’s bare hands to be creepy af. 

… so watched it in a theater full of kids, lots of little snickering and giggling  noises early on (basically voicing what I was feeling)…. overall though it was mostly quiet compared to the roaring laughter from other “kids” films…. kids laughed at the slapstick bits while older fans get the easter eggs and musical cues…… as expected its a 1 and done film with nonstop forward momentum, no time for reflection just on to the next bit….

I just HOPE/PRAY this doesnt lead to Minions DLC drivers in Mario Kart…. it would be the worst choice in Mario Kart since the removal of Toad screaming wail from Kart 64

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

John Leguizamo is the best. Dude has suffered for a long time in Hollywood, so I like his no bullshit approach, wrong or right. :p 

He is. 

John-Leguizamo-Steven-Seagal.jpg?quality
DECIDER.COM

"I used Steven Seagal because I hate him."

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Like 1

This movie is going to hold up well at the box office with still so little family fare on the schedule and GLOWING reactions from audiences. It got an A Cinemascore and a 94% positive from Postrak, which mirrors my conversations with customers after the show lets out. People are eating it up. I would be shocked if we don’t get a tentative date for the second film at Universal’s Cinemacon presentation.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This movie is going to hold up well at the box office with still so little family fare on the schedule and GLOWING reactions from audiences. It got an A Cinemascore and a 94% positive from Postrak, which mirrors my conversations with customers after the show lets out. People are eating it up. I would be shocked if we don’t get a tentative date for the second film at Universal’s Cinemacon presentation.

No surprise - like the Michael Bay Transformer sequels which all made incredible bank despite being terrible movies, people like spectacles, even if it's all sound and fury with no substance. Like Avatar, I think this movie will make a lot of money.