Voice cast for Illumination’s Mario movie has been announced, and it’s questionable

Kamusha

I wouldn't expect high cinema from a Mario  Bros. movie, so this looks pretty fun to me. :p 

It looks to me like the story they're trying to tell is that Mario is sort of thrown into the Mushroom Kingdom (from the real world? From some other world?), based on his behavior around the 1:35 mark in the trailer... so maybe over the course of the movie there will be some development of his character (and voice?) into more of what we have classically associated with Mario. 

Either way, it looks like pretty fun fan service, especially for kids (or the young at heart). Also, I love how expressive their faces are!

This looks better than I thought and I don’t even care about Chris’s voice, as much as I irrationally dislike him, anymore. It’s okay, wish they casted someone else but nothing worth complaining about in comparison to it visually looking amazing and everyone else sounding fine including a good Bowser. I actually just assumed it was going to be an origin story for some reason so that part didn’t surprise me.

That is the most hype a movie trailer has gotten me in a long time and this will definitely get me back in a theater if Avatar 2 doesn’t. 

Also I really hope we have a switch 2 with a new Mario soon aahhhhhhhhh.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

This looks better than I thought and I don’t even care about Chris’s voice, as much as I irrationally dislike him, anymore. It’s okay, wish they casted someone else but nothing worth complaining about in comparison to it visually looking amazing and everyone else sounding fine including a good Bowser. I actually just assumed it was going to be an origin story for some reason so that part didn’t surprise me.

That is the most hype a movie trailer has gotten me in a long time and this will definitely get me back in a theater if Avatar 2 doesn’t. 

Also I really hope we have a switch 2 with a new Mario soon aahhhhhhhhh.

Bud, Switch 2 launches in 2023 with a true open world Mario game based on the movie and MP4. #Dreambig

• 1 month later...

The CG certainly looks great, the visual design and aesthetic are right on, and I don't mind the voice acting. Kids and adults will no doubt eat this shit up. But for me that felt way too quippy and generic for Super Mario type stuff. It's a movie, it's obviously gotta be its own thing since there isn't much to go on with the games in terms of dialogue tone, but I dunno, Mario looks super bumbling to a frustrating degree, Peach is a competent, exasperated woman, it all feels kind of generic in a dialogue/story way, like I've seen the bones of this a million times in animated kids films recently. Could just be the trailer. Didn't hate it or love it.

Say what you want about not being able to stand hearing Martinet for 90 minutes (although you are somehow able to stand it for 50 hours when playing Odyssey) I can barely stand the voice that's here from Chris Pratt for a 2 minute trailer.

In any case it seems to me like what I surmised before. Anya Taylor-Joy seems to be the real protagonist with more lines than Mario who seems to be there to be a dumb bitch and make annoying sounds.

5 minutes ago, ort said:

Yeah, I dunno. The humor style feels very generic CG kids movie-ey to me, but whatever. It looks fun.

I bet some people are going to be annoyed that they made Princess Peach be competent and have weapons and stuff.

If only they took the Super Princess Peach approach where her emotions were manipulated with a vibrator.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

I guess, personally, I'm really done with the bumbling male idiot paired with competent, exasperated female at his behavior trope. It's lazy, it's been done a million times, and the whole "girl boss" vibe of it is just annoying. Do we really need to take the main male character down a peg or two in every scene for humor and laughs but then the female character is never bumbling, funny, or stupid, is constantly annoyed at the village idiot main character, but keeps them around for some reason? I've seen this so many times and I don't think, to be "feminist" or "woke", we need to cut down male characters and then have to pair them up with competent female characters who aren't funny or just do straight (wo)man one liners to the idiot man's behavior. This was like every Judd Apatow comedy in the 2000's, which were great, but yeah. Like, can't we have a kids movie that just promotes great, competent team work between men and women (yes, these movies exist, I know). I dunno, again, too quippy and jokey for my tastes, and lazy tropes (based on the trailer). The trailer makes both Mario and Luigi look really stupid (I'm a Luigi fan, personally) and that's not exactly how I ever saw the characters in the games.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I guess, personally, I'm really done with the bumbling male idiot paired with competent, exasperated female at his behavior trope. It's lazy, it's been done a million times, and the whole "girl boss" vibe of it is just annoying. Do we really need to take the main male character down a peg or two in every scene for humor and laughs but then the female character is never bumbling, funny, or stupid, is constantly annoyed at the village idiot main character, but keeps them around for some reason? I've seen this so many times and I don't think, to be "feminist" or "woke" we need to cut down male characters to pair them up with competent female characters who aren't funny or just do straight (wo)man one liners to the idiot man's behavior. This was like every Judd Apatow comedy in the 2000's, which were great, but yeah. Like, can't we have a kids movie that just promotes great, competent team work between men and women (yes, these movies exist, I know). I dunno, again, too quippy and jokey for my tastes, and lazy tropes (based on the trailer). The trailer makes both Mario and Luigi look really stupid (I'm a Luigi fan, personally) and that's not exactly how I ever saw the characters in the games.

I think the part you’re missing is that Mario and Luigi are not from Mushroom Kingdom, they are from another universe and being guided by Peach as I understand it.

I do agree with a lot of what you said, though.

• True 1

48 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I think the part you’re missing is that Mario and Luigi are not from Mushroom Kingdom, they are from another universe and being guided by Peach as I understand it.

I do agree with a lot of what you said, though.

Yeah, that's true and an explanation within the story of the film. But as a stroytelling device, I dunno, seems lazy, but we agree there.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I guess, personally, I'm really done with the bumbling male idiot paired with competent, exasperated female at his behavior trope. It's lazy, it's been done a million times, and the whole "girl boss" vibe of it is just annoying. Do we really need to take the main male character down a peg or two in every scene for humor and laughs but then the female character is never bumbling, funny, or stupid, is constantly annoyed at the village idiot main character, but keeps them around for some reason? I've seen this so many times and I don't think, to be "feminist" or "woke", we need to cut down male characters and then have to pair them up with competent female characters who aren't funny or just do straight (wo)man one liners to the idiot man's behavior. This was like every Judd Apatow comedy in the 2000's, which were great, but yeah. Like, can't we have a kids movie that just promotes great, competent team work between men and women (yes, these movies exist, I know). I dunno, again, too quippy and jokey for my tastes, and lazy tropes (based on the trailer). The trailer makes both Mario and Luigi look really stupid (I'm a Luigi fan, personally) and that's not exactly how I ever saw the characters in the games.

I also hate that trope with a passion. It doesn't promote a good image for women that they have to put up with a moron because boys will be boys or something either. Both men and women are worse for the trope.

I'm not sure if it will play that way or not in the movie or, but it does give off a vibe that Mario is going to be a clumsy fool, which feels wrong to me. My mental image of Mario is goofy but extremely competent in a zany world. The jumps and flips my man does is pure elegance.

Otherwise, I'm fully on board with making Peach exceptionally competent herself. I definitely do *not* want a rescuing Peach plot. Fuck that shit.

Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I also hate that trope with a passion. It doesn't promote a good image for women that they have to put up with a moron because boys will be boys or something either. Both men and women are worse for the trope.

I'm not sure if it will play that way or not in the movie or, but it does give off a vibe that Mario is going to be clumsy fool, which feels wrong to me. My mental image of Mario is goofy but extremely competent in a zany world. The jumps and flips my man does is pure elegance.

Otherwise, I'm fully on board with making Peach exceptionally competent herself. I definitely do *not* want a rescuing Peach plot. Fuck that shit.

Guess we'll see.

Echoing my thoughts exactly. Peach looks cool. She looks like she's gonna kick ass. She seems fun. I'm down - but as you also say, there's no need for it to be in relation to making Mario seem really stupid beside her. Mario is definitely goofy, but as you also mention, Mario is very competent. Yes he's learning this world maybe for the first time here but the trailer really overplays it.

And exactly - the whole "boys will be boys" thing. I hate that trope. It doesn't make men look good, it makes us look like man children, which many of us aren't (and some definitely are). And yeah, it doesn't promote a good image for women either, who simply have to work twice over to make up for the man's incompetence with their competence, which isn't fair at all. 

• Like 1