Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

I liked this ad a lot. Makes me think that I was wrong about Biden not being the best candidate.

I have a weird nit-pick against political ads or news interviews that are shot or edited to look cinematic.  I feel like it cheapens the message by trying to make it look and feel more like a movie. This ad being what I think in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio bothers me, the Bolton interview from a few weeks back on ABC was shot 24, that pissed me off too. 

That said it's a good ad. 

I may get a lot of flack for saying this here, but I think Joe Biden is the reason Texas is so close. I doubt any of the other candidates would be doing nearly as well here. 

Edit: The biggest counterpoint is most of Biden's out-performance is due to Trump hurting himself. However Biden being boring and not in the news enhances this effect.

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I may get a lot of flack for saying this here, but I think Joe Biden is the reason Texas is so close. I doubt any of the other candidates would be doing nearly as well here. 

Edit: The biggest counterpoint is most of Biden's out-performance is due to Trump hurting himself. However Biden being boring and not in the news enhances this effect.

Yeah.  Warren and Sanders would not be performing nearly as well as Biden is in Texas and other states. 

Apologies if this was posted a few days back. I think it may have been mentioned in that Trump Rapid Response tweet of Sanders saying Biden's platform would be the most progressive since FDR.

Joe Biden And Bernie Sanders Unite For Student Loan Forgiveness, Free College

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Former Vice President Joe Biden released comprehensive policy proposals yesterday, including for student loan debt, for which he incorporated some recommendations from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) from the presidential campaign trail. Biden addresses a host of issues ranging from tuition-free college to student loan forgiveness.

• Sanders has proposed to cancel all $1.6 trillion of student loan debt, including both federal and private student loans.
  • Biden does not support wide-scale student loan debt cancellation.
  • However, in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, Biden proposed a Covid-19 student loan forgiveness plan to cancel up to $10,000 in student loan debt for each borrower.
  • Biden would forgive all undergraduate tuition from two- and four-year public colleges and universities.
  • Biden also would forgive all undergraduate tuition for borrowers who earn $125,000 or less per year and who graduate from a private Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU’s) and Minority-Serving Institutions (MSI’s).

There's more in the link.

When Sanders would tell Biden, "You say you have more experience, but I say this as a friend: you voted for this, that. etc." I thought he was just saying the friend part to be polite, but they seem to actually like each other.

Then again, Biden did make a lot of friends in Congress.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Apologies if this was posted a few days back. I think it may have been mentioned in that Trump Rapid Response tweet of Sanders saying Biden's platform would be the most progressive since FDR.

Joe Biden And Bernie Sanders Unite For Student Loan Forgiveness, Free College

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Been thinking for a while about the 2016 primaries in how the thin field may have hurt Clinton's candidacy. It seems like a wider field gives an opportunity to have different factional representation that the leaders of can then rally around the victor.  Having Christie and Rubio and Cruz (and the rest) rally around the trump flag no doubt helped legitimize him in the eyes of Republican voters.  Clinton not having a wider field of top tier opponents left her without that to draw on.  Biden is similarly benefitting from a wider field -- all the big players can rally their troops to him.

Not that a time traveller could wave a wand in 2016 and make more people run for the Dem nomination, but it's something to consider going forward especially as we move from electoral to governing politics. 

13 hours ago, Massdriver said:

12 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah.  Warren and Sanders would not be performing nearly as well as Biden is in Texas and other states. 

Centrist baby boomers are still the biggest voting bloc, and the biggest slice of the swing vote.  And they're especially prevalent in 'purple' states like Texas, which are also moving towards centrism more broadly in a range of demographics after long stints as bastions of the right.  So, all else being equal, I'd wager a baby boomer centrist like Biden will likely outperform candidates from the party's left flank like Warren and Sanders with the boomers so long as they pass the 'beer' test, which Biden generally does.  Warren, Sanders and Yang's coalitions were always going to involve working around, rather than with, the boomers.

However, I think Trump is waiting until late in the game to unleash the attacks that are going to be the most effective for these centrist voters, particularly the Midwestern working class ones that swung to Trump in 2016--the sexual assault accusations, Biden's pro-Free Trade record, and, most potently, the Burisma/Hunter Biden controversy.  That last one, in particular, worries me.  Biden has not shown that he can effectively parry attacks centered around that controversy.

The debates will be interesting, if they happen.  On the one hand, a good performance could allow Biden to put the whole 'he has dementia' attack to bed; he has never looked sharper than he did against Sanders in the third debate. (No wandering sentences, no senior moments, etc.)  On the other, Trump is not only going to lie about everything, but he's also going to attack Biden directly about the Burisma controversy.  If Biden has no answer, it's going to look very, very bad, and might sabotage his support among moderates.

9 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

However, I think Trump is waiting until late in the game to unleash the attacks that are going to be the most effective for these centrist voters, particularly the Midwestern working class ones that swung to Trump in 2016--the sexual assault accusations, Biden's pro-Free Trade record, and, most potently, the Burisma/Hunter Biden controversy.  That last one, in particular, worries me.  Biden has not shown that he can effectively parry attacks centered around that controversy.

These will not work in the face of a massive recession and pandemic, and that trump and the republican party doesn't realize this is great for biden's chances

This isn't 5 months ago when millions more people had a job 

20 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

No, there's no strategy. It's all egotistical reaction. 

2 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

After Tara Reade faded into obscurity I don't think anything Trump can say about Biden can stick. Any claims from the right about Biden will just look like desperate shit slingling.

For sure.  The whole Burisma thing was absurd and of course didn't stick against Biden. 

10 hours ago, Jose said:

Biden is really good at listening to those who know more than him, an undervalued quality in a politician.

I think this will be the best part of a Biden presidency. He is amenable to changing his platform when presented with new and better information. It's great to see.