~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'll never find it not funny that the party that is gungho against "Hollywood elites" puts so many of them into power (Trump, Reagan, Sonny Bono, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Fred Thompson, Kane/Glenn Jacobs).

its because they all wish they could be one but are too stupid, talentless, just outright awful people

15 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Reagan is one of the worst American presidents we have ever seen. His bullshit Reaganomics and trickle-down snake oil destroyed the middle class. He helped to create homelessness. AIDS. Fueling the growth of the religious right. And he belonged in jail for Iran-Contra.

Fuck Reagan and that bullshit folksy grandpa horseshit that smooth-brained conservatives just slurped up.

Don't forget his abject lack of leadership and care about the aids epidemic

You didn't but I also didn't read it before I posted so

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
d41586-021-02081-w_19401530.jpg
WWW.NATURE.COM

The study’s withdrawal from a preprint platform deals a blow to the anti-parasite drug’s chances as a COVID treatment, researchers say. The study’s withdrawal from a preprint platform deals a blow to...

A bit of information on ivermectin and how we ended up with people drinking horse drugs

I always knew ketamine would be a gateway into other horse drugs…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They absolutely did but trump was far more boorish, which was his appeal. They were both entertainers appropriate for their time.

I don’t know if it’s accurate to say that Reagan ran as an entertainer. He gave nice sounding speeches and looked good on TV. So did JFK. So did Clinton and Obama. Most modern day presidents, actually. Yes, there is a performance aspect to being a politician. Yes, you have to be an engaging public speaker to have a real shot of becoming president. But you are being reductive to say that Trump and Reagan were similar in their entertainment values.

And saying Reagan the appropriate entertainer his time is strange considering some of the biggest comedians in the 80’s were Eddie Murphy, Gallagher, and Andrew Dice Clay. Trump ascendancy reflected the rot of political discourse. He was someone who was similarly entertaining, at least to his fans, as any popular comedian. Reagan just didn’t have the same appeal. His appeal was strong, but it was completely different in its approach.

37 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I don’t know if it’s accurate to say that Reagan ran as an entertainer. He gave nice sounding speeches and looked good on TV. So did JFK. So did Clinton and Obama. Most modern day presidents, actually. Yes, there is a performance aspect to being a politician. Yes, you have to be an engaging public speaker to have a real shot of becoming president. But you are being reductive to say that Trump and Reagan were similar in their entertainment values.

And saying Reagan the appropriate entertainer his time is strange considering some of the biggest comedians in the 80’s were Eddie Murphy, Gallagher, and Andrew Dice Clay. Trump ascendancy reflected the rot of political discourse. He was someone who was similarly entertaining, at least to his fans, as any popular comedian. Reagan just didn’t have the same appeal. His appeal was strong, but it was completely different in its approach.

They made politics entertaining, not that they were purely performative

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They made politics entertaining, not that they were purely performative

I’m sorry but modern politics is largely performative, and has been for decades and decades. Do you have experience with public speaking and/or performing in front of an audience? Anytime you are in front of an audience it’s a performance. I used to perform standup comedy for a few years and with the experience under my belt I’m able to see that basically all politicians are playing a character to some degree. The way any professional acts in front of a camera always smacks of artificiality to me. It’s the good ones who make the average person think they are being real, but I can always pick up on it.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

No no no no no, ahhhh! People misunderstand what the hell Stewart is talking about.

He's not saying he's above criticism. He's saying, at his best and at, say, CNN's best, what would they be doing? What is their purpose? It doesn't matter how "easy" he was on Kerry in 2004 because his main purpose is to be funny, and that includes social commentary. CNN's main purpose is to inform and not be simply a mouthpiece for people running for office, which is a big part of what he criticized CNN for.

That's why he brings up being a comedian. At the end of the day, only one of them should be held up to that highest standard, and that's the news networks. What he's doing by using comedy to commentate on events is nothing new; he just did a damned good job of it.

I don’t think people misunderstand Stewart and there’s no doubt he uses comedy as a shield or a sword whenever it happens to be convenient.

Nobody’s inviting politicians onto their shows to be funny because none of them are. You don’t have Mike Huckabee on your show for chuckles. His point about cable news being shit and Crossfire / The Daily Show being held to the same standard was absolutely salient of course; him saying he’s “just a comedian” rings hollow when he’s using his comedy as a vehicle for advocacy and to hold a political rally, even though he’s absolutely entitled to do those things.

He’s a comedian when it’s convenient, and an activist when it’s convenient. This is completely fine, I have no idea why he’s insisted that it isn’t the case as it makes him seem more mealy mouthed than he is, which is barely if at all.

a6250ad0-004d-11ec-bf21-a29998f28b50
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Top U.S. health officials dismissed criticism from the World Health Organization Wednesday over the plan to offer COVID booster shots to vaccinated Americans while some parts of the world are still struggling to get access to coronavirus vaccines.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think people misunderstand Stewart l

They certainly did, and so did you. Look at the context of when he says it. On crossfire, he called them partisan hacks, and the response was “But look at what you asked Kerry!”

It doesn’t matter what he asked them; it’s not his responsibility to be a balanced interviewer and investigative reporter, it’s not his job to dig dirt, and it’s embarrassing to see people on the news deflect from their own responsibility. 

The problem is you think comedy and advocacy are exclusive. Using comedy in those circumstances isn’t something he invented; comedy has been a vehicle for social and political commentary well before Stewart. 

47 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
a6250ad0-004d-11ec-bf21-a29998f28b50
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Top U.S. health officials dismissed criticism from the World Health Organization Wednesday over the plan to offer COVID booster shots to vaccinated Americans while some parts of the world are still struggling to get access to coronavirus vaccines.

While I get what the WHO is saying, each country is gonna look out for no.1 first especially with new variants on the horizon. You don't wanna start boosters after a new vaccine resistant strain is found.

More than anything there needs to be a more formal collaboration between countries to get poor countries vaccinated.