~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

an African swine fever virus pandemic in hogs may have had an influence on the transmission of a cross species covid precursor reaching Wuhan

Everyone freaking out about the lab leak idea but it was really just 30-50 feral hogs.

• Haha 1

I know this board looks up Jon Stewart but he’s been losing after his retirement. He seems to think the lab leak was possible. Maybe we shouldn’t put comedians on pedestals anymore when it comes to commenting on real issues…

Before someone reflexively jumps to Jon Stewart’s defense, would you be saying the same thing if Joe Rogan said it? Because this is totally something I’d normally expect from Joe Rogan.

I don't know how much the board at large looks up to Jon Steward anymore. When this aired, I was vocal (elsewhere) about him being really really bad-faith about this. Like, he perpetuated this dumbass conspiracy kind of as a joke, but also, as his personal ideas for what happened. Joe Rogan was, in fact, the first example that popped into my mind when I saw this clip of who would parrot this kind of nonsense. 

No, it was. It was during the media furor over lab leak though. So in context it was when a lot of people in media were uncritically repeating it as "well, what if" or "some experts are saying."

The lab leak hypothesis has always been the least likely of origins. 

25 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I don't know how much the board at large looks up to Jon Steward anymore. When this aired, I was vocal (elsewhere) about him being really really bad-faith about this. Like, he perpetuated this dumbass conspiracy kind of as a joke, but also, as his personal ideas for what happened. Joe Rogan was, in fact, the first example that popped into my mind when I saw this clip of who would parrot this kind of nonsense. 

TBF the former head of the CDC Robert Redfield says he thought it was a lab leak, so more people that just the Joe Rogans of the world have talked about the idea.

As for me I thought it shouldn't be ruled out but it was foolish to make any proclamations until more studies were done. 

18 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

TBF the former head of the CDC Robert Redfield says he thought it was a lab leak, so more people that just the Joe Rogans of the world have talked about the idea.

As for me I thought it shouldn't be ruled out but it was foolish to make any proclamations until more studies were done. 

Right. It was foolish to say anything until it was studied further. Which is why the former head of the CDC Robert Redfield was stupid to say so. Joe Rogan doesn't know better. CDC head does. Especially when it's a political statement made from a political position. 

14 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The problem isn’t the origin of the virus, it’s China’s lack of transparency regarding the beginning stages of the outbreak. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter where it came from. 

Not if you've got an anti 'communist'/Chinese axe to grind.

I do agree though. The instinctive nature towards secrecy (which we have here, to a much lesser degree) looks bad even if it is just the standard state reaction to anything.

2 hours ago, Komusha said:

I know this board looks up Jon Stewart but he’s been losing after his retirement. He seems to think the lab leak was possible. Maybe we shouldn’t put comedians on pedestals anymore when it comes to commenting on real issues…

Before someone reflexively jumps to Jon Stewart’s defense, would you be saying the same thing if Joe Rogan said it? Because this is totally something I’d normally expect from Joe Rogan.

Jon Stewart is a goober and has been for a long fucking time.

• Guillotine 1

A friend of mine is driving to Mexico to buy a bunch ivermectin, not because he wants to take it, but because a bunch of people are wanting it such that people are buying it for crazy prices and sometimes even buying veterinary grade versions because it is apparently hard to get real doctors to prescribe it.

I just can’t begin to understand how somebody gets to the point of taking such a product but still foregoing vaccination.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A friend of mine is driving to Mexico to buy a bunch ivermectin, not because he wants to take it, but because a bunch of people are wanting it such that people are buying it for crazy prices and sometimes even buying veterinary grade versions because it is apparently hard to get real doctors to prescribe it.

I just can’t begin to understand how somebody gets to the point of taking such a product but still foregoing vaccination.

Faaaaaaaacebook

22 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Faaaaaaaacebook

Certainly that is the medium, but I legit don’t understand the process by which content consumed there becomes real and persuasive in the mind of the reader. I was talking to a friend recently who was concerned about getting her daughters vaccinated due to fertility issues and she couldn’t articulate why she believed this was worthy of concern. 

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Certainly that is the medium, but I legit don’t understand the process by which content consumed there becomes real and persuasive in the mind of the reader. I was talking to a friend recently who was concerned about getting her daughters vaccinated due to fertility issues and she couldn’t articulate why she believed this was worthy of concern. 

I don’t think it’s all that different from advertising in general; exposure affects everyone to varying degrees and it’s typically more effective when it’s coming from someone you know. When you have confirmation bias boosted by the algorithm and friends as a combo platter, it’s inevitable to some extent / for some people. 

I think it’s common for people to believe lots of myths based on this stuff, many of them just aren’t as flagrant or harmful as taking a veterinary dewormer / anti parasitic to fight a virus. How many people spend more time / effort / water hydrating than is necessary, or swear by intermittent fasting beyond what research shows is effective?

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I never even heard of this drug until 5 minutes ago.  Are its miracle properties floating around the Chud-sphere or something?

Yes. 

My work went from sending a company wide email saying masks were optional, then one saying masks were recommended, then another saying they were mandatory, then an email saying we had one known positive, then another positive the next day, and now everyone in the building has to get tested. All this in less than 2 weeks. 

Maybe they shouldn’t have tried to keep

from hurting people’s feelings and just mandated masks from the start. 

• Haha 2