~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

49 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I honestly don't know how this country hasn't self imploded on itself long ago...

RHMX42X2BUI6XEI4KJF4RNUPC4.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The number of new daily covid-19 hospital admissions and ICU admissions in Texas are both nearing peak levels not seen since December.

Joel Valdez isn’t in the hospital for covid-19, but he’s feeling its effect.

For 10 days, Valdez has been in a hospital bed at Ben Taub Hospital in Houston awaiting surgery after he was shot six times outside a grocery store as an unlucky bystander to a domestic dispute.

“Having broken bones and bullets in me for over a week now, it’s a little frustrating,” Valdez told KRIV over the weekend.

He tallied his injuries, which include a neck wound and three gunshot wounds to a left shoulder that’s in need of surgery: “Everybody is really surprised I’m still in this bed a week later.”

I knew it was Ben Taub from the headline alone. It is the poor people’s hospital in Houston, and it is backed up even in the best of times so just imagine what it is like right now 😬

9 hours ago, Joe said:

I don’t think at this point us getting a third dose prevents people in the third world from getting their first.

For every million third dose in non immunocompromised/high risk Americans can lead to thousands of deaths in the global south. We're extremely safe against hospitalization and death so the marginal utility of these doses on Americans just isn't worth it at this point based on data that I see.

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

For every million third dose in non immunocompromised/high risk Americans can lead to thousands of deaths in the global south. We're extremely safe against hospitalization and death so the marginal utility of these doses on Americans just isn't worth it at this point based on data that I see.

I'm a little fuzzy on this. Can you expound?

Are you saying that Americans getting a third dose means that dose doesn't go overseas and therefore the unvaccinated overseas contributes to the deaths?

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm a little fuzzy on this. Can you expound?

Are you saying that Americans getting a third dose means that dose doesn't go overseas and therefore the unvaccinated overseas contributes to the deaths?

I think so. Obviously there are already some doses sitting in the US that wouldn't be going overseas, regardless. But to get another 150-200 million ready...those could be going overseas, instead, in the near-to-medium term.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think so. Obviously there are already some doses sitting in the US that wouldn't be going overseas, regardless. But to get another 150-200 million ready...those could be going overseas, instead, in the near-to-medium term.

Yeah. And that these boosters won't significantly change health outcomes in already vaccinated individuals means we're trying to squeeze water from a stone

We knew boosters were coming -- and many epidemiologists though that annual boosters were likely (although there was some optimism that a booster dose wouldn't be needed for two years).

It will be interesting to understand the data on why an 8-month booster is being recommended.  The only reason it would be approved/recommended SHOULD be that it meaningfully improves health outcomes.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I can verify that Saskatchewan is a fucking dumfuckville when it comes to COVID. Lowest vaccination rate in the country (and the gap is growing each day), the provincial government won't introduce any incentives or restrictions to increase rates, and the government still remains popular because this province is the most redneck hick hill people province in the country. Literally the best place is Regina, which only has the national average for vaccination (60% full vax of total population). The rest of the province is mostly much lower. Some regions only have 38% full vaccination!

37 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What if, hear me out here, we did export them? We should!

We definitely should, but I don’t think having the doses wasted here is a better choice than 3rd doses. That’s the choice at the moment.

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Unless there's data I'm not seeing, for normal people a 3rd dose is a waste

Israel's data about the efficacy of keeping you from getting it at all is from the overall population, not just from the elderly and immunocompromised, right? So there's value from boosters in terms of reducing spread if it pushes the efficacy of keeping you from getting it in the first place back up. 

Now yeah in terms of getting the spread down it's probably more valuable to focus on getting the rest of the world vaccinated, but that's not the same thing as boosters being pointless. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Israel's data about the efficacy of keeping you from getting it at all is from the overall population, not just from the elderly and immunocompromised, right? So there's value from boosters in terms of reducing spread if it pushes the efficacy of keeping you from getting it in the first place back up. 

Now yeah in terms of getting the spread down it's probably more valuable to focus on getting the rest of the world vaccinated, but that's not the same thing as boosters being pointless. 

What I'm seeing from some epidemiologists on twitter is this is something like selection bias. The most cautious people already are getting third shots (like you, for example) so they're already going to have less risk (don't go out as much, better/more consistent about wearing masks, fewer unmasked gatherings, etc)

Where it stands: All of the vaccines continue to offer almost 100% protection against death, and extremely strong protection against serious illness. Those findings have stayed consistent across the whole world.

• But a growing body of research shows that the vaccines are losing some potency against milder infections.
  • At an individual level, that’s not a huge deal. But on a population level, it has tremendous consequences, as the data also suggests that people with breakthrough cases can effectively transmit the virus.
  • More transmission means more disease among the unvaccinated, and more disease among the unvaccinated means — as we’re seeing play out in the South — increasingly overwhelmed health systems.
  • And, ultimately, the more the virus spreads, the more likely it is that new variants emerge.

The CDC isn't tracking (or at least not publishing) breakthrough cases which is a huge problem. They really should have been doing that and makes these discussions much more difficult.

Another huge problem is the billions without a single dose who can catch and transmit far more effectively than a fully vaccinated individual can, and is also far more likely to get sick and die than the two dosed person. Everything said about the vaccinated unwittingly transmitting the virus more than applied to the unvaccinated. And it's not the vaccinated who are breaking health systems!

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The CDC isn't tracking (or at least not publishing) breakthrough cases which is a huge problem. They really should have been doing that and makes these discussions much more difficult.

Another huge problem is the billions without a single dose who can catch and transmit far more effectively than a fully vaccinated individual can, and is also far more likely to get sick and die than the two dosed person. Everything said about the vaccinated unwittingly transmitting the virus more than applied to the unvaccinated. And it's not the vaccinated who are breaking health systems!

It is very strange that they decided only to capture breakthrough data on hospital cases.