~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

14 hours ago, Komusha said:

I know this board looks up Jon Stewart but he’s been losing after his retirement. He seems to think the lab leak was possible. Maybe we shouldn’t put comedians on pedestals anymore when it comes to commenting on real issues…

Before someone reflexively jumps to Jon Stewart’s defense, would you be saying the same thing if Joe Rogan said it? Because this is totally something I’d normally expect from Joe Rogan.

The difference between this and Rogan is that Stewart isn’t saying it was created in a lab. Has the theory of sick animals being improperly handled at one of these international labs which studies coronavirus been debunked?

28 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Hard to keep up with COVID news, but in Texas, a board of trustees found a loophole around Governor Abbott's ban on mask mandates: masks are now part of the dress code.

IVLUQ4ENUZGQLLVRJ5CRZJOALU.jpg
WWW.KXII.COM

Paris ISD announces new dress code which requires masks to be worn

:cheers: to them. 

15 hours ago, Komusha said:

I know this board looks up Jon Stewart but he’s been losing after his retirement. He seems to think the lab leak was possible. Maybe we shouldn’t put comedians on pedestals anymore when it comes to commenting on real issues…

Before someone reflexively jumps to Jon Stewart’s defense, would you be saying the same thing if Joe Rogan said it? Because this is totally something I’d normally expect from Joe Rogan.

I thought Stewart was doing a bit, as seen by one point in the segment telling Stephen “don’t you bring logic into this”.  

15 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Everything I have read suggests the lab leak is still very much a viable hypothesis for the origin.  As is, the theory of a natural transmission via an intermediate species.

There is no smoking gun for either theory.  

I’m not willing to write off the possibility but if you watch the video Jon Stewart scoffs at the idea of it even being “a chance”. He seems to be saying it most definitely came from the lab and he’s pushing this unproven theory in front of a national audience.

I truly do question anyone who is 100% sure it came from the lab without there being any conclusive proof, especially when this theory is especially popular with racists and xenophobes. I’m not saying Stewart is that, but it’s not a good look. Maybe he’s exaggerating for comedic effect, but it doesn’t come across as satire to me. If it’s satire, what is the point he’s trying to make?

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The difference between this and Rogan is that Stewart isn’t saying it was created in a lab. Has the theory of sick animals being improperly handled at one of these international labs which studies coronavirus been debunked?

He doesn’t go into detail as to what he believes happened at the lab. But he did say he thinks science went too far in this situation and that science often doesn’t . It’s not hard to hear him and read it as implication that it was created at the lab. Maybe that wasn’t his intention, but he should be more clear if he truly wants to distance himself from the Rogans of the world.

9 minutes ago, Komusha said:

He doesn’t go into detail as to what he believes happened at the lab. But he did say he thinks science went too far in this situation and that science often doesn’t . It’s not hard to hear him and read it as implication that it was created at the lab. Maybe that wasn’t his intention, but he should be more clear if he truly wants to distance himself from the Rogans of the world.

I didn’t read or interpret it that way at all. I interpreted at they were studying a potentially threatening virus and perhaps mishandled it, and that pushing the boundaries on things like this is stupid as “what’s the benefit?”. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don’t understand the thought of a lab which studies coronavirus in the region which the virus first appeared being a possible “source” as stupid or dangerous. Saying it was created there is a different story.

45 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I’m not willing to write off the possibility but if you watch the video Jon Stewart scoffs at the idea of it even being “a chance”. He seems to be saying it most definitely came from the lab and he’s pushing this unproven theory in front of a national audience.

He is doing a comedy bit.  Do people take comedy bits seriously?  I don't know.  I certainly don't.

45 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I truly do question anyone who is 100% sure it came from the lab without there being any conclusive proof, especially when this theory is especially popular with racists and xenophobes. I’m not saying Stewart is that, but it’s not a good look. Maybe he’s exaggerating for comedic effect, but it doesn’t come across as satire to me. If it’s satire, what is the point he’s trying to make?

He is clearly making fun of the people who deny the plausibility of it coming from a lab leak. I thought he was using hyperbole for comedic effect.

:shrug:

I found it funny.

9 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

He is doing a comedy bit.  Do people take comedy bits seriously?  I don't know.  I certainly don't.

He is clearly making fun of the people who deny the plausibility of it coming from a lab leak. I thought he was using hyperbole for comedic effect.

:shrug:

I found it funny.

There was a sizable group of people in the audience who was cheering in agreement with him.

I think the problem with the material is that if it was satire, there wasn’t enough of an exaggeration to make a point or to make it obvious it was satire. He was literally just repeating what millions of Americans already believe. That’s why the audience was cheering. If anything he toned down the material because the theory that it was intentionally created with the intentions of weaponizing it was far crazier than what he was spouting out.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you don't realize that political/topical comedy is infotainment, and always has been(!), Then I don't know if you can really understand American politics in any meaningful way

I’m not sure if this comment was directed at me but I clearly do. The problem is infotainment is the primary form of information for so many Americans. We see everything through our the lenses of entertainment. It’s what led to America voting for a reality show host as a president.

2 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I’m not sure if this comment was directed at me but I clearly do. The problem is infotainment is the primary form of information for so many Americans. We see everything through our the lenses of entertainment. It’s what led to America voting for a reality show host as a president.

And an actor in the 80's

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I didn’t read or interpret it that way at all. I interpreted at they were studying a potentially threatening virus and perhaps mishandled it, and that pushing the boundaries on things like this is stupid as “what’s the benefit?”. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don’t understand the thought of a lab which studies coronavirus in the region which the virus first appeared being a possible “source” as stupid or dangerous. Saying it was created there is a different story.

It could certainly be interpreted either way. He didn’t go into detail as to what he believed happened at the lab. Maybe he left it intentionally open to interpretation, or maybe it was a failing on his part to not clarify.

But I will say that if they were studying a virus and mishandled it, I don’t know if I would word it by saying this pandemic was “caused” by science. The virus already existed. I could be wrong about his intention here, but the wording was eyebrow raising.

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And an actor in the 80's

That doesn’t discount the point I was making. With that said, Ronald Reagan ran by giving feel good speeches that played on people’s emotions of the idea of what America used to be and should be. His ability as an entertainer certainly gave him a huge advantage, but what he was doing wasn’t really that different from what politicians typically do.

Trump dominated the news by running as an offensive buffoon and by further pushing politics into a type of reality show theater that people couldn’t stop watching either out of admiration or terror. He campaigner liked an entertainer - Reagan campaigned like a politician. That is a distinction worth making, and if you can’t understand than you don’t understand how are addiction to entertainment was only made us dumber in the past 40 years.

Read Amusing Ourselves to Death if you haven’t already.

Stewart constantly deflects criticism by saying he's just a comedian or whatever. Even in that crossfire appearance he did it. It's also how some people wrote off some of trump's worst comments as him just joking. It's a way to again deflect criticism and also mock/belittle the person criticizing even good, substantive critiques. May even be an in group signifier in some cases

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Stewart constantly deflects criticism by saying he's just a comedian or whatever. Even in that crossfire appearance he did it. It's also how some people wrote off some of trump's worst comments as him just joking. It's a way to again deflect criticism and also mock/belittle the person criticizing even good, substantive critiques. May even be an in group signifier in some cases

No no no no no, ahhhh! People misunderstand what the hell Stewart is talking about.

He's not saying he's above criticism. He's saying, at his best and at, say, CNN's best, what would they be doing? What is their purpose? It doesn't matter how "easy" he was on Kerry in 2004 because his main purpose is to be funny, and that includes social commentary. CNN's main purpose is to inform and not be simply a mouthpiece for people running for office, which is a big part of what he criticized CNN for.

That's why he brings up being a comedian. At the end of the day, only one of them should be held up to that highest standard, and that's the news networks. What he's doing by using comedy to commentate on events is nothing new; he just did a damned good job of it.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So did trump. They are cut from the same cloth.

If you want to go down this route -- and I'm glad you did -- here's one of the two questioning the health of the Democrat running for president.

Hey look, it wasn't Trump doing that to Hillary/Biden this time.

5 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I don’t think you understand nuance if you think they campaigned the same. Or are pretending to be dense to avoid conceding. Whatever.

They absolutely did but trump was far more boorish, which was his appeal. They were both entertainers appropriate for their time.

Reagan is one of the worst American presidents we have ever seen. His bullshit Reaganomics and trickle-down snake oil destroyed the middle class. He helped to create homelessness. AIDS. Fueling the growth of the religious right. And he belonged in jail for Iran-Contra.

Fuck Reagan and that bullshit folksy grandpa horseshit that smooth-brained conservatives just slurped up.