~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Went to Costco this morning, and they have dramatically upped their social distancing game.  Carts are disinfected and then passed to you. They've closed half the registers, and employees now unload and reload your cart at the register.  Unfortunately, it took MUCH longer than the normal trip.

About 15-20% of people were wearing masks.  I saw someone with a N95 mask, that he kept pulling down to drink a coffee.  I saw another man reach inside his N95 mask to scratch his face.  Most people were consistently touching them/repositioning them on their face.  I even saw a doctor in scrubs (his name was on them), wearing an N95 mask.  If they are in such short supply for medical settings, why is he using them at Costco?

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Looking at these projections from IHME, one thing really stands out....VA, KY, and MO have a much later peak hospital use than ever other state, and by a lot. Like, two weeks minimum later peak for the first corona wave. I'm really curious how they came up with these

Cool, so according to that, Massachusetts runs out of beds this weekend. Would sure have been nice if our governor had issued a shelter in place order way sooner than he actually did. He basically had to be dragged into issuing one by mayors across the state.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I even saw a doctor in scrubs (his name was on them), wearing an N95 mask.  If they are in such short supply for medical settings, why is he using them at Costco?

Doctors trying to avoid catching it and then spreading it around their hospital seems like a reasonable use of a mask. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Doctors trying to avoid catching it and then spreading it around their hospital seems like a reasonable use of a mask. :shrug:

Or the opposite. He could have caught the virus at work and could be spreading it at Costco.

56 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Looking at these projections from IHME, one thing really stands out....VA, KY, and MO have a much later peak hospital use than ever other state, and by a lot. Like, two weeks minimum later peak for the first corona wave. I'm really curious how they came up with these

According to this, the peak for PA is in about two weeks.  Good to know, I guess.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Surprise:

The 100,000 ventilators Trump has promised through the national stockpile do not exist, and cannot be procured until late June, well after the theoretical peak need.

This has been known for months

So my local health service called my house to see how my mom, sister and myself are doing because of our close contact to a positive case. Basically ask how we feel, any health issues, confirm age/name and informed us on when we can return to society unless we still have symptoms. So we are stuck in the house until April 9th-12th at least. They offered my mom a test because of her age and high blood pressure but she refused because overall she feels ok. Even so, they were place as a medium-moderate risk due to their contact and symptoms. My brother will come down from Toronto and pick up some groceries for us in a few days. My workplace asked me for my work history/interactions/travel I did last week work related to inform the stores/coworkers of possible Covid-19 contact.

at least they are keeping track of us

4 hours ago, silentbob said:

So my mom called 311 this morning to see if we could be tested. She was told that if we are just showing mild symptoms, then we are to stay put and quarantine ourselves. No need to get a test unless anyone’s symptoms become worse. So it makes me wonder how many cases Ontario really has, if some are being left untested like my family.

I get why. It can be easy to think you feel minor symptoms because you’re afraid. Everyone going to get tested because they have sinus drainage, slept uncomfortably, are feeling stressed/depressed, etc, could overload the medical system. 

but yeah, there will be many people who get it, get better, and never got tested, so they never added to the statistics. Plus there are those being left out of statistics for one reason or another. I don’t think we’ll ever know the true number of infected, and deaths as a result of this. 

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I get why. It can be easy to think you feel minor symptoms because you’re afraid. Everyone going to get tested because they have sinus drainage, slept uncomfortably, are feeling stressed/depressed, etc, could overload the medical system. 

but yeah, there will be many people who get it, get better, and never got tested, so they never added to the statistics. Plus there are those being left out of statistics for one reason or another. I don’t think we’ll ever know the true number of infected, and deaths as a result of this. 

Still important to know all the asymptomatic cases.

13 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I am utterly beside myself with rage about this.

The move is expected to be announced in a briefing by Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly Thursday evening. The official reason for Crozier's relief of duty is a loss of trust and confidence, according to the officials who spoke to NBC News.

:|

So I know little about matters military beyond broad strokes, so I suppose this goes out to folks that know more about it than I such as @Emperor Diocletian II, @mclumber1, @brucoe, @CayceG, and whoever else I'm forgetting. But as we've seen that America's political and economic clout are not what they used to be, I've wondered if the same is true of our military. I know that's a broad thing to wonder, but shit like this makes me concerned that we're not what we're hyped up to be on this front as well. I'd valuer any insight you have.

The Military should be lead by civilian leaders. When the civilian leaders fuck up, it's up to us to fix that. 

The power of our military is second to none. What we've been fucking up is the use of that power. And how we've used it has sent shivers down the spines of our allies. 

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

:|

So I know little about matters military beyond broad strokes, so I suppose this goes out to folks that know more about it than I such as @Emperor Diocletian II, @mclumber1, @brucoe, @CayceG, and whoever else I'm forgetting. But as we've seen that America's political and economic clout are not what they used to be, I've wondered if the same is true of our military. I know that's a broad thing to wonder, but shit like this makes me concerned that we're not what we're hyped up to be on this front as well. I'd valuer any insight you have.

It's pretty evident that our military, especially the Navy because personnel are packed so tightly together, do not perform well during a pandemic.    The good (I guess?) news is that this virus is nation-blind.  If it's going to affect our Navy, it's going to affect everyone else's as well.  Russia, China, the UK, and other countries with advanced navies will have to struggle with this, which means it's doubtful anyone country could gain an advantage over another. 

20 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I am utterly beside myself with rage about this.

Did he fail to follow some kind of military protocol? Is this higher-ups in the Navy that are displeased, or is this likely Trump calling for this man's head on a pike?

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Did he fail to follow some kind of military protocol? Is this higher-ups in the Navy that are displeased, or is this likely Trump calling for this man's head on a pike?

If he did violate a chain-of-command protocol, it's hardly a "firing offense", especially since it was concerned with the welfare of the sailors under his command.

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

Hawaii = Commander, US Pacific Fleet or US Pacific Command. Insanity. 

This is all on Esper.

He was embarrassed that the letter leaked.

• Guillotine 1