~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Trump shouldn't play with fire. The only company in the world that produces the medical-grade paper pulp required for surgical masks and gowns is, you guessed it, located in Canada: https://www.vicnews.com/business/nanaimos-harmac-mill-works-to-fill-doubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/

“It’s a customer out of the States and we’ve been supplying them for years, but in light of what’s going on in the lack of medical supplies, they’ve doubled their order with us in the last week, so we’re doing everything we can to meet that demand,” said Levi Sampson, Harmac president.

Sampson said the Harmac mill is the world’s only producer of the particular grade of paper pulp used in the manufacture of surgical masks and gowns and that the mill has been producing it since before he came to work there in 2008.

I mean, fuck Trump obviously, but if he actually stops the shipment of medical equipment to Canada, then the US (and China) won't even be able to manufacture masks and gowns. Canada and the US are completely interdependent on one another, but Trump 100% doesn't understand that.

Twins named after the Coronavirus

A baby boy and girl born in India amid the current lockdown have been named Corona and Covid by their parents, local reports claim. 

The newborn twins were born at the Dr BR Ambedkar Memorial Hospital in the early hours of March 27, according to well-respected Indian news outlet NDTV. 

Parents Preeti and Vinay Verma, from Chhattisgarh, told the Press Trust of India the names Corona and Covid were chosen to symbolise triumph over hardship. 

• Confused 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/chinese-families-should-be-sweeping-graves-now-but-thousands-still-havent-buried-their-dead/2020/04/03/5a6daa50-7234-11ea-ad9b-254ec99993bc_story.html

Using photos posted online, social media sleuths have estimated that Wuhan funeral homes had returned 3,500 urns a day since March 23. That would imply a death toll in Wuhan of about 42,000 — or 16 times the official number. Another widely shared calculation, based on Wuhan’s 84 furnaces running nonstop and each cremation taking an hour, put the death toll at 46,800.

Wuhan residents say the activities belie the official statistics. “It can’t be right . . . because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died?” a man, identified only by his surname of Zhang, told Radio Free Asia.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Canadian Rangers have been deployed to the far north to help remote communities manage containment of the virus' spread. For those unaware, Canadian Arctic Rangers are a reserve unit spread over the Canadian territories. They have very old equipment that stands up to the extreme cold, and are able to perform patrols using skidoo and even dogsled, living mostly in (and drawing membership from) Arctic Indigenous communities.

DP00QypXUAQece0?format=jpg&name=medium

38d6b564-2882-4444-b20e-6e72780164e6.jpg

RANGER-predator-watch-at-tactical-comman

And they have a badass flag and crest:

Canadian-Rangers.png

They actually were the last Canadian unit to use Lee-Enfield bolt action rifles (from WWII). Just replaced them last year with C19 rifles (Sako  FTC Tikka T3).

Anyway, just a little aside on how far the spread is reaching.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canadian Rangers have been deployed to the far north to help remote communities manage containment of the virus' spread. For those unaware, Canadian Arctic Rangers are a reserve unit spread over the Canadian territories. They have very old equipment that stands up to the extreme cold, and are able to perform patrols using skidoo and even dogsled, living mostly in (and drawing membership from) Arctic Indigenous communities.

DP00QypXUAQece0?format=jpg&name=medium

38d6b564-2882-4444-b20e-6e72780164e6.jpg

RANGER-predator-watch-at-tactical-comman

And they have a badass flag and crest:

Canadian-Rangers.png

They actually were the last Canadian unit to use Lee-Enfield bolt action rifles (from WWII). Just replaced them last year with C19 rifles (Sako  FTC Tikka T3).

Anyway, just a little aside on how far the spread is reaching.

I’m glad you told us about their rifles, I’m sure they’ll do a great job shooting the virus out of the air. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Economists have often calculated the "value of a life" -- implicitly through how much society is willing to spend on safety (airline safety, automotive safety, etc.)  I haven't seen any numbers recently, but in my health economics class 20-years ago it was about $14-million/life on average.  I suspect the number has grown quite a bit since then.

Of course, there is a much larger issue.  My POV, is that a broad economic shut-down for a long period of time (certainly beyond the end of April) will have an economic impact that will impact mortality (whether through suicide, loss of long-term health insurance, substance abuse, etc.)

Edit:

A more recent study valued a life at $4-9 million

Funny enough

$20 trillion(USA GDP)/$9million($/life) = 2.2 million lives.

Shutting down everything was worth it because these 2.2 million lives were initially projected to be killed without mitigation.

Fun bit of math I thought to do

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Funny enough

$20 trillion(USA GDP)/$9million($/life) = 2.2 million lives.

Shutting down everything was worth it because these 2.2 million lives were initially projected to be killed without mitigation.

Fun bit of math I thought to do

You’re well on your way to a PhD in Economics. 

I was just doing a ‘virtual happy hour’ with my girlfriend and one of her friends who lives in Manhattan, and he opened his window and showed us the 7 p.m. applause for the hospital employees; if you are ever feeling down or pessimistic about this situation, I highly recommend you watch a video of one. Strength and resolve well and truly reside with the people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I don't know what this means, like how would the federal stockpile be used in any other way than helping states?

Come on silly, he means Fedralia, a land that extends to include all of his real-estate ventures!