~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

More so it seems trump is demanding them to divert supplies being manufactured in other regions for that region to the US. If this country is stupid enough to vote in trump again, I think we might start seeing companies split up by regions to limit any influence the US government can have on them. I could also see more companies acting like Silicon Valley and moving to have strong outpost in Canada (A good portion of the recent tech boom in TO has been a result of both Trump and SV needing to find a secondary (cheaper than Cali/NY) outpost).

The optics of this move by Trump with 3M aren't good.  If he had just instituted the DPA 3 or 4 weeks ago with 3M and other manufacturers, we wouldn't have to be "taking away" resources from Canada other Mexico.  And now these countries are likely to retaliate in some way. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

The optics of this move by Trump with 3M aren't good.  If he had just instituted the DPA 3 or 4 weeks ago with 3M and other manufacturers, we wouldn't have to be "taking away" resources from Canada other Mexico.  And now these countries are likely to retaliate in some way. 

Yep, He's scrambling because he dropped the ball and thinks he can bully his way to the front of the line. 

11 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It’s not even noon and New York already has 400 deaths today.

Im from NY and its ominous here for sure. People are starting to really freak out. In my community, we just lost a perfectly healthly 36yo to the virus. He lived not far from me. 

we also learned that a woman who lives a block over, tested positive, and continues to take her daily (sometimes more than once) walks around the neighborhood - no mask on or anything. after being asked to respect the self-quarantine rule if tested positive - she basically told everyone to fuck off. the hood is outraged. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ontario is going to show their entire "stark" projection in a few hours, the first Canadian government to do so. It's expected that true deaths will be higher than reported, and they will say that lock downs will need to continue through the summer.

I am concerned that they will be releasing a projection, without properly communicating the assumptions behind it.  There are too many times that scientists communicate overly negative outcomes to motivate behaviour in the way they think is for "the common good".

In today's briefing, Trudeau suggested that he doesn't believe that the modelling is good enough yet for public release.

Coronavirus outbreak could cripple India's economy

The government says it will give farmers 2,000 rupees ($30) in April as an advance payment from an $80 annual pay-out to tide over the situation.

"This money will be inadequate because exports have stopped. Prices in cities will rise because of profiteering and in rural areas they will drop because farmers won't be able to sell their crop," says economist Arun Kumar.

The outbreak has happened at a critical farming time - the new crop is ready, waiting to be sold.

Economists warn India's challenge will be in transporting this food from villages to cities in the midst of the lockdown.

If supply chains don't work properly, a lot of food will be wasted and lead to massive losses for Indian farmers.

Experts warn that India is also at the brink of a major unemployment crisis.

Economist Vivek Kaul says people who work for small businesses may end up with job and salary losses. "I know of places where companies are actively discussing how many people they need to fire," he says.

There has been a narrative that protecting the economy is about supporting billionaires.  The poor always suffer the most.  Billionaires won't have problems putting food on the table, or finding a place to live. 

Governments have to be very careful about how long they think they can put in significant restrictions.

Thousands of Canadians can't pay their rent today

A new survey from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business says 23 per cent of the more than 9,000 respondents can’t pay their rent or mortgage today. Eighty-six per cent say governments should help small businesses cover these costs. Two-thirds say provincial governments should do more to prevent eviction. Less than one-third say their landlords are being “reasonable.” The feds have opened up billions in cheap credit for businesses, but most CFIB members say they can’t afford to take on more debt.

A grassroots coalition of more than 20,000 small businesses—formed just over the past two weeks—also published a survey that 38 per cent of the coalition couldn’t afford rent in April, and a staggering 70 per cent would default in May. When Maclean’s asked Trudeau about rent relief at one of his daily press conferences this week, he didn’t reject the notion, saying his government “will continue to listen and work with people to make sure that we’re able to come through this as strongly as possible and get out the other side as strongly as possible.”

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

at least 3M is basically telling him to go fuck himself

3 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

True, but I don’t think this particular instance of lying supports the specific  claim that Trump called the *virus itself* a hoax.

You might have a case that he was using intentionally vague ‘dog whistle’ wording, though, that he knew the less attentive members of his base would translate into unfounded conspiracy theories.

What's the the difference? He was still giving the impression that the outbreak was being overblown and overstated by the Democrats (with the help of the Chinese no less) to undermine HIM. This message has been so effective on The Right that many on that side of the aisle STILL don't believe it's real or that it is being exagerrated by the Left and the main stream media... I mean listen to the actual sound bite:

the "This" in that sentence is the severity of The Cornonavirus... remember, he was still saying back then that it wouldn't be as serious as it has become. Here is a video that compiles his messaging from back then

So does that video edit out selected words? Yes. Does it fundamentally change what he as was actually saying or take anything out of context? No. You couldn't even make a court case against this. By the way, that particular quote has been reported in a similar way on a lot of mainstream news casts and they are so risk averse when it comes to this President and afraid of being sued that they wouldn't make the point if it wasn't true. He downplayed the severity of the Coronavirus outbreak as a Democratic hoax in the beginning. That's true. I'm gonna respectfully disagree with snopes.

16 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck Kushner.

I feel like this speaks so broadly about the Trump Administration. The Federal government exists for their own benefit, not for the States or the people in them. They are in it for themselves, aiding only those who have something to offer, making deals only when they have something to gain. None of this is news exactly, but seeing it laid increasingly bare in a time of crisis is somehow more disheartening than the same selfishness in a time of plenty.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

More so it seems trump is demanding them to divert supplies being manufactured in other regions for that region to the US. If this country is stupid enough to vote in trump again, I think we might start seeing companies split up by regions to limit any influence the US government can have on them. I could also see more companies acting like Silicon Valley and moving to have strong outpost in Canada (A good portion of the recent tech boom in TO has been a result of both Trump and SV needing to find a secondary (cheaper than Cali/NY) outpost).

There's been a HUGE boom of tech companies in my area of Southern California in recent years. It's been kinda crazy to be honest. While SoCal is cheaper than Northern California and NY, it's not MUCH cheaper.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Coronavirus outbreak could cripple India's economy

There has been a narrative that protecting the economy is about supporting billionaires.  The poor always suffer the most.  Billionaires won't have problems putting food on the table, or finding a place to live. 

Governments have to be very careful about how long they think they can put in significant restrictions.

Thousands of Canadians can't pay their rent today

The situation actually puts front and center an oft-avoided two-part economic question, which is "Can you put a price on the value of a human life, and if so what is that price?"

We often say a life is "priceless", but this kind of scenario requires us to do a cost/benefit analysis between minimizing the number of coronavirus-related deaths vs minimizing the amount of economic suffering for the average person.  If we can think of the latter kind of suffering in terms of unemployment, and if we can think of unemployment in terms of 'lost income', then the calculation is what amount of income we're willing to sacrifice (i.e. what level of unemployment we're willing to tolerate for what length of time) to save what number of lives--which implies that a human life actually has a price.

Creepy.

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's been a HUGE boom of tech companies in my area of Southern California in recent years. It's been kinda crazy to be honest. While SoCal is cheaper than Northern California and NY, it's not MUCH cheaper.

For a while it was Denver & Austin as hotspots for cheaper development outpost in the states (even a canadian company I worked for opened a denver office for a while). Yet thanks to trump and his fuckery on immigration many companies are moving outpost to Canada to resolve that issue. They just happen to pick Toronto since there was already a sizable app community here (much like montreal got the bulk of game studios since there was already a community there to support it). Amazon has been staffing like crazy, google expanded their dt marketing office to now include development (most of their ontario development was in Guelph before) and soon MS will be trying to fill a 5k office that they're building. It's kind of nuts how much it's accelerated in the last year.

59 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

tl;dr: Chuck Grassley becomes President if there is no election at all, as he is the most senior member of the Senate:

In a hypothetical where the entire 2020 election can’t occur, the line of succession would devolve to the president pro tempore of the Senate, who is third in line. There would be no vice president to take over because there would be no president, and there would be no speaker of the House because there would be no members of the House. That body is constitutionally mandated to be up for election every two years, just as the president’s term is constitutionally mandated to end after four years.

The president pro tempore is traditionally the most senior member in the chamber’s majority party. That means in this scenario, the presidency could potentially come down to a January 2021 partisan dogfight in what remains of the Senate between Patrick Leahy (D-VT), who would be 80, and Chuck Grassley (R-IA), who would be 87.

However, states could change their local laws to allow them to appoint electors instead of deciding them by popular vote. In that case, whichever party controls the most state legislatures with the largest number of electors who have changed these laws will determine who is President, and can pick anyone they like (in concert). If this happened, the GOP would win in a landslide, assuming they changed enough state laws to allow for electors to be appointed by the states directly:

2560px-US_State_Government_Control_Map.s

38 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

The situation actually puts front and center an oft-avoided two-part economic question, which is "Can you put a price on the value of a human life, and if so what is that price?"

We often say a life is "priceless", but this kind of scenario requires us to do a cost/benefit analysis between minimizing the number of coronavirus-related deaths vs minimizing the amount of economic suffering for the average person.  If we can think of the latter kind of suffering in terms of unemployment, and if we can think of unemployment in terms of 'lost income', then the calculation is what amount of income we're willing to sacrifice (i.e. what level of unemployment we're willing to tolerate for what length of time) to save what number of lives--which implies that a human life actually has a price.

Creepy.

Economists have often calculated the "value of a life" -- implicitly through how much society is willing to spend on safety (airline safety, automotive safety, etc.)  I haven't seen any numbers recently, but in my health economics class 20-years ago it was about $14-million/life on average.  I suspect the number has grown quite a bit since then.

Of course, there is a much larger issue.  My POV, is that a broad economic shut-down for a long period of time (certainly beyond the end of April) will have an economic impact that will impact mortality (whether through suicide, loss of long-term health insurance, substance abuse, etc.)

Edit:

A more recent study valued a life at $4-9 million