~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-426-new-covid-19-cases-total-grows-to-2-392-1.4877417

Not a great day for Ontario (Quebec is also really bad atm). The only good news so far is the testing backlog is back down to 4k and shrinking day by day, use to be 3x as much. The sooner that gets cleared the chance for more broader testing becomes a possibility.

"Ontario public health officials reported 426 new COVID-19 infections on Wednesday, by far the highest case growth in since the outbreak reached the province, bringing the total count of cases to 2,392.

They also confirmed four new deaths from COVID-19, bringing the province’s official total to 37.

However, Ontario’s 34 local public health units have together reported 30 more deaths than the province’s total, suggesting Ontario’s COVID-19 death toll stood at 67 by Wednesday morning at 10 a.m."

Well my cousin’s husband got his results back and she’s still waiting but he has Covid-19. I’m like 99.99% sure she has it too, along with my mom and sister. I’ve had a slight chest tightness and stuffy nose but I’m chalking that you to anxiety and allergies. Had the same feeling last week and some allergy meds cleared them for me. Thank god my decarbed weed pills work or I would probably be a lot more mentally wrecked by now. I’m a bit more now that it’s officially in my house but again them pills help since I can’t vape. We will try and get ourselves tested as soon as we can. My local hospital is the first in Ontario to be building an overflow tent for Covid-19 patients too. . . . so nice knowing everyone

• Sad 5
  • Shocked 2

'Absolutely wrong': how UK's coronavirus test strategy unravelled

Ministers shrugged off warnings a lack of tests could cost lives, until they were forced to change tack

“You can’t fight a fire blindfold,” said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director general of the World Health Organization, just five days after the UK switched course in what sounded like an urgent appeal to Johnson, Halpern and any fellow travellers.

“You can’t stop this pandemic if you don’t know who is infected. We have a simple message for all countries: test, test, test. Test every suspected case. If they test positive, isolate them and find out who they have been in close contact with up to two days before they developed symptoms and test those people too.”

But his warnings were shrugged off by government ministers in the UK – public health experts had been sidelined and a newer breed of scientist was in favour at No 10.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This is an outstanding idea!

Korea's government and services are doing an incredible job. Masks have been rationed for several weeks with the government in charge of supply. This means that there haven't been any shortages or price gouging. I am allowed to buy 2 masks a week for a total of about $2.50. Also the alert system lets you know where any infected people have been so you will know if you've crossed paths with them. All travelers from overseas must quarantine for 2 weeks. Foreigners without an address are being quarantined at a hotel by the airport.

Unfortunately social distancing is not going so well. It's a beautiful spring, the cherry blossoms have bloomed, and people are just going about their regular daily lives. We live near a small lake that had to shut down to stop people from going to look at the flowers. There are no fences completely surrounding the lake. Old people are still going to church, and every few days a new cluster crops up at a church.

It feels like if everybody could just totally shut down for 2 weeks, this could be all over here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.8newsnow.com/news/gov-sisolak-requests-major-disaster-declaration-for-nevada/amp/

The loss of that tourism money will have a direct impact on the state and local budgets, Sisolak wrote. The estimated impact to the Clark County budget is expected to be a lost of $1.128 billion.

His letter points out that Clark County’s emergency response costs to COVID-19 have already exceeded $27 million which is above the threshold to request a Major Disaster Declaration.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynews4.com/amp/news/local/gov-sisolak-actives-nevada-national-guard-to-deal-with-coronavirus-outbreak

Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak has activated the Nevada National Guard to help curb the coronavirus outbreak in the Silver State. 

Sisolak made the announcement alongside Adjutant General Ondra Berry at a press conference in Carson City on Wednesday afternoon. 

Berry says the guard is more than equipped to help with the state's response to COVID-19. 

The guard will be working directly with the Department of Defense to make sure they have adequate training to assist the state. 

Berry says that initially the guard will assist from a logistics and organizational standpoint and move forward with the state's immediate needs. 

https://www.ktnv.com/news/coronavirus/nurses-planning-to-protest-lack-of-covid-19-preparedness-in-7-states-including-nevada

Registered nurses at 15 HCA Healthcare hospitals in 7 states, including Nevada, will hold actions the next couple of days to protest a lack of preparedness by the nation’s largest hospital chain that they say places nurses, other staff, and patients at risk in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, announced National Nurses United (NNU) today.

NNU, which represents 10,000 RNs at 19 HCA hospitals in California, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Nevada and Texas, is demanding that HCA provide the optimal personal protective equipment (PPE) for nurses and other staff. That means N95 respirators or the more protective powered air purifying respirators (PAPRs), and other head-to-toe coverings.

Separately, RNs at HCA’s Mission Hospital in Asheville, N.C. will deliver a petition to hospital managers with their concerns about hospital COVID-19 preparedness

“Nurses at various HCA hospitals are reporting that they have had to work without proper protective equipment,” said Jean Ross, RN, president of National Nurses United.

“Nurses say they are not informed when they exposed to an infected patient. They are told to unsafely reuse masks and at one hospital they are even being told not to wear masks because it ‘scared the patients.’”

“Protecting our patients is our highest priority, but it becomes much harder when we don’t have the safe protections which puts us in danger of becoming infected,” said Angela Davis, RN, Medical Intensive Care Unit, a dedicated COVID-19 unit, at Research Medical Center Kansas City, Mo. “If we are no longer able to be at the bedside, who will be there to care for our patients?”

“When we are infected no one is safe,” said Kim Smith, RN, Intensive Care Unit, also a dedicated COVID-19 unit, at Doctors Regional Hospital/Corpus Christi Medical Center in Corpus Christi, Texas. “When we are infected, we become a real danger of infecting everyone else around us, patients, hospital staff, and a risk to our own families.”

HCA can well afford to be properly prepared for the pandemic, says NNU. Over the past decade HCA has made more than $23 billion in profits. “For the wealthiest hospital corporation in the United States to show such disregard for the health and safety of its caregivers, is disgraceful and unconscionable,” said Ross.

“We are facing the gravest public health crisis in a century,” said Gary Mousseau, RN, Endoscopy, Fawcett Memorial Hospital, Port Charlotte, Fla. “As nurses at HCA health care facilities across the country, it has been disheartening to see HCA’s poor response to our safety concerns.”

In a national survey of nearly 10,000 RNs in every U.S. state and territory, NNU found that HCA had among the worst records of pandemic preparedness.

Only 35 percent of nurses at HCA Healthcare hospitals report having access to N95 respirators on their units, compared to 52 percent at other facilities

16 percent of nurses have access to PAPRs, compared to 23 percent of all nurses

Just 7 percent report having enough PPE to protect staff and patients if there is a surge in patients, compared to 19 percent of all nurses

In the actions, nurses will survey their RN colleagues on PPE preparedness as they report to work at shift changes, marking checklist results on a large survey board as to whether their hospital has adequate PPE for RNs, proper isolation for infected patients, notification to staff about COVID-19 cases, and adequate COVID-19 testing for staff.

The action will be happening tonight between 6:30 and 8 p.m. at Mountainview Hospital on North Tenaya Way in Las Vegas.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-could-be-final-straw-for-eu-european-experts-warn

The European Union has weathered the storms of eurozone bailouts, the migration crisis and Brexit, but some fear coronavirus could be even more destructive.

In a rare intervention Jacques Delors, the former European commission president who helped build the modern EU, broke his silence last weekend to warn that lack of solidarity posed “a mortal danger to the European Union”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/global-coronavirus-infections-near-million-mark-after-near-exponential-growth

Covid-19 infections are nearing the one million mark after “near exponential growth” saw global cases more than double in the past week.

The World Health Organization chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, warned of the approaching milestone as new cases reached almost every country and territory across the world.

“As we enter the fourth month since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic I’m deeply concerned about the rapid escalation and global spread of infection,” Tedros said.

“Over the past five weeks, we have witnessed a near exponential growth in the number of new cases, reaching almost every country.

Reporter from Pro-Trump One News Network Removed From White House Press Briefings for violating safe-distance guidelines.  

The White House Correspondents’ Association voted to remove conservative outlet One America News Network from the pool rotation at President Donald Trump’s coronavirus briefings, after its correspondent violated social distancing guidelines. In a letter to members, the WHCA board wrote that they voted to remove the outlet, known for its pro-Trump coverage. They cited a policy, put in place because of concerns over the spread of the coronavirus, that limits the briefing room to just 14 seated correspondents. No reporters are allowed to stand on the sidelines, as they routinely did in the past. “We did this because a reporter for this outlet twice attended press briefings in contravention of this policy,” the WHCA said. “We do not take this action lightly. This is a matter of public safety.” The reporter and the outlet was not identified, but other members have complained about the presence of Chanel Rion, its chief White House correspondent. OANN has a seat in the briefings, but only as part of a rotation of outlets, and Rion has been present even on days when she was not assigned.

Paula Reid, CBS News White House correspondent, wrote on Twitter that One America News “is in the rotation of reporters who get to attend briefings but seem to think they get to play by different & put safety at risk.” The Los Angeles Times reported that Rion was asked at a previous briefing to leave, but she refused and said she was there as a guest of Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham. Trump has called on Rion at briefings and praised the outlet for their questions — often softballs and, at one point last month, even conspiratorial toward other media outlets. At at press conference on March 19, she asked, “The major left-wing news media, even in this room, have teamed up with Chinese communist party narratives, and they claim you are racist for making these claims about the Chinese virus. Is it alarming that major media players, just to oppose you, are consistently siding with foreign state propaganda, Islamic radicals and Latin gangs and cartels, and they work right here in the White House with direct access to you and your team?”

Of COURSE they will turn this into some "Mainstream  media conspiracy bullshit and Trump will let the reporter back in anyway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-nyc-emts-stop-taking-cardiac-arrest-patients-to-hospitals/amp/

Cardiac arrest victims whose hearts cannot be restarted at the scene are now being left there — rather than being brought to coronavirus-strained hospitals for further revival attempts, according to a new guidance for medical responders.

The Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of New York, which oversees the city’s ambulance service, issued the guidance on Tuesday in a letter obtained by The Post.

Previously, people whose hearts could not be restarted on the scene would be brought to the hospital.

But the new guidance is a grim calculus that’s meant to save lives, one veteran EMS worker told The Post.

“They’re trying to do what they can with the people who have the most likely chance of being saved,” the worker said.

Under the rule, “if you can’t get revived on scene, that’s it. They’re going to work on you, but if they can’t get a pulse back, they won’t transport you” to the hospital, the worker explained.

• Sad 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/01/new-york-coronavirus-cuomo-us-new-normal

New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, said on Wednesday he thought Americans would be living with the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic for a long time to come.

“I don’t think we get back to normal,” Cuomo said. “I think we get to a new normal.”

He declared it was Americans’ responsibility to ensure the change brought about by the pandemic will be positive rather than negative.

Cuomo also emphasized that all US states need to be better prepared for such crises because “something like this will happen again”.

On Wednesday afternoon Florida issued a statewide stay-at-home order to its residents after days of resisting pressure from health officials and even Washington, as cases in the state surged towards 7,000.

15 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Some people not happy that summer is probably going to be cancelled

Damn right!

My g/f and I rescheduled our vacation for July since we received 125% credit on it, but we're both aware that there's a good chance it won't happen. My problem is I normally can't take vacations in August, September and October because they're peak hurricane season months. I got REALLY lucky two years ago when nothing happened late September, but it's a dangerous time to try to vacation considering our weather. I really don't care when I go on vacation; it's just that this specific one works in the summer, and we may be screwed this year.

If it weren't for that, this wouldn't be so stressful. :( 

• Sad 1

Tens of millions of people who received aid that would not have reached them without the efforts of the Democratic Party will end up casting ballots for Donald Trump this November. In one important way, that’s how it should be: The Democratic Party as it is currently constituted correctly understands that it has civic and moral obligations to ensure the well-being not only of its own voters, but of those who vote against its candidates. The Republican Party, and particularly the GOP under Trump, acts as if it has no such obligations, which is why the president himself has portrayed aid to Democratic-controlled states ravaged by the coronavirus as personal generosity rather than his fucking job.

• Guillotine 1