~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Trump announces new face mask recommendations after heated internal debate

President Donald Trump said Friday his administration was now recommending Americans wear "non-medical cloth" face coverings, a reversal of previous guidance that suggested masks were unnecessary for people who weren't sick.

Trump said the recommendations, which came after a week of heated deliberations inside the White House, were voluntary and that he would not partake.

"I don't think I'm going to be doing it," he said, going on to suggest it was hard to envision such a thing in the Oval Office: "Wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens — I just don't see it."

I think he just wants to be able to tweet out a photo of Nancy Pelosi or Joe Biden in a mask.

latest?cb=20100512021848

FWIW, Ontario/Canada officials are still not recommending a mask. Their feedback was "if you're sick, a mask may reduce the risk of transmitting the virus, but you should be self-isolating anyways".

14 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we are having 2  9/11s per day soon.  

I think the models have us peaking at 3.5k, for reference car accidents and guns kill about 90 a day each about 30k a year, virus can do that in less than 9 days at its peak.

10 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I think the models have us peaking at 3.5k, for reference car accidents and guns kill about 90 a day each about 30k a year, virus can do that in less than 9 days at its peak.

You're probably right.  What's scary is that based on the data from Spain and Italy, it's unlikely there will be steep decline in deaths after we reach the peak.  Italy has remained essentially consistent at around 700 deaths per day for the last two weeks. 

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/chinese-families-should-be-sweeping-graves-now-but-thousands-still-havent-buried-their-dead/2020/04/03/5a6daa50-7234-11ea-ad9b-254ec99993bc_story.html

Using photos posted online, social media sleuths have estimated that Wuhan funeral homes had returned 3,500 urns a day since March 23. That would imply a death toll in Wuhan of about 42,000 — or 16 times the official number. Another widely shared calculation, based on Wuhan’s 84 furnaces running nonstop and each cremation taking an hour, put the death toll at 46,800.

Wuhan residents say the activities belie the official statistics. “It can’t be right . . . because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died?” a man, identified only by his surname of Zhang, told Radio Free Asia.

Assuming the funeral homes were mostly closed during most of January/February/March, how many deaths should we expect in a city like Wuhan over three months (excluding Coronavirus)?

11.1 million people  / 76 years average life expectancy  * 3 months / 12 months/year = ~36k  deaths over 3 months (and if you assume that 1 child policy has screwed up the demographics towards older people, perhaps it should be higher).  

I'm not saying that I believe the Chinese numbers, but I think there are some other factors involved.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/chinese-families-should-be-sweeping-graves-now-but-thousands-still-havent-buried-their-dead/2020/04/03/5a6daa50-7234-11ea-ad9b-254ec99993bc_story.html

Using photos posted online, social media sleuths have estimated that Wuhan funeral homes had returned 3,500 urns a day since March 23. That would imply a death toll in Wuhan of about 42,000 — or 16 times the official number. Another widely shared calculation, based on Wuhan’s 84 furnaces running nonstop and each cremation taking an hour, put the death toll at 46,800.

Wuhan residents say the activities belie the official statistics. “It can’t be right . . . because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died?” a man, identified only by his surname of Zhang, told Radio Free Asia.

16 times higher? People still die of other causes even during a pandemic. And in a city of 10 million people you'd expect roughly 20,000 people to die in the two months under normal circumstances. And that's just if we're talking about the urban area (if we include the metro area, the expected mortality rises to roughly 40,000, but I'm not sure if there'd be more funeral homes servicing the metro area than what they refer to). 

Sure the number of deaths from corona are almost certainly higher than what China has said, but I don't think they're necessarily lying. When this first started, China was limited on the tests they could produce and conduct just like everyone else was (and most still are). Italy isn't counting people that die at home but I don't see anyone saying Italy is lying, for example. 

EDIT: Oh absolutsurgen already covered this. 

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

I don't know what this means, like how would the federal stockpile be used in any other way than helping states?

There was a story a couple of days ago about a Republican fundraiser suddenly selling a "wide selection" of PPE, and when asked where he managed to get it he answered, "it's just relationship based." Make of that what you will.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/nyregion/coronavirus-ny-updates.amp.html

Mayor Bill de Blasio called again on Friday for doctors and other medical workers across the country to be drafted and sent to the places where coronavirus has hit hardest — starting in New York.

“Unless there is a national effort to enlist doctors, nurses, hospital workers of all kinds and get them where they are needed most in the country in time,” Mr. de Blasio said on MSNBC Friday morning. “I don’t see, honestly, how we’re going to have the professionals we need to get through this crisis.”

The mayor later said at a news conference that the city would need 45,000 more medical personnel to fight the pandemic through April and May.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/nyregion/coronavirus-ny-updates.amp.html

The coronavirus was taking lives at a devastating pace in New York on Friday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said, with deaths nearly doubling in just three days, from 1,550 on Tuesday to 2,935 on Friday.

More people in New York were reported on Friday to have died of the virus in the previous 24 hours — 562 — than in the first 27 days of March.

Officials in New York City reported 305 new deaths due to the virus on Friday evening, bringing the city’s death toll to 1,867 in the biggest single-day jump so far.

“It’s hard to go through this all day, and then it’s hard to stay up all night, watching those numbers come in and the number of deaths tick up,” the governor said at his daily briefing in Albany.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-corona-covid-twins-name-coronavirus-india-20200403-g4j2rkj52rds5n74zgmvoyemmi-story.html%3foutputType=amp

A central Indian couple has reportedly named their twins Corona and Covid.

The babies were born last week in the throes of a deadly worldwide pandemic, according to the Hindustan Times.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

I don't know what this means, like how would the federal stockpile be used in any other way than helping states?

Trump is waiting to deliver them to red states. He has no problem letting people in blue states die--they didn't vote for him, so why should he care?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/04/04/houston-officials-prepare-for-an-influx-of-new-coronavirus-cases/%3foutputType=amp

Houston officials are preparing for an influx of people amid the coronavirus pandemic swiping the nation.

Mayor Sylvester Turner said the city is planning for three scenarios.

The current plan is for when the healthcare system is within or meeting capacity. The second level is if there is a surge of new coronavirus patients. The third scenario is if the influx exceeds the overall capacity, which is the area of primary attention for the city.

Houston officials said they are working to secure more personal protection equipment.

Houston officials confirmed 81 new cases, bringing the city's total to 587 cases as of Friday. The city also announced two new deaths: a man in his 40s with underlying conditions who died March 27 and a woman in her 60s with underlying conditions who died April 1.

A total of 8 Houstonians have died from coronavirus-related complications.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/03/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that health care must be at the "top of the list" in the next coronavirus rescue package.

In an interview with The Associated Press, the Republican leader said Congress should focus on correcting any shortcomings in the just-passed $2.2 trillion aid bill and rely on health care experts for solutions to "wipe out" the virus.

"There will be a next measure," McConnell said about what would be the fourth coronavirus aid bill from Congress.

The Kentucky Republican said the next package "should be more a targeted response to what we got wrong and what we didn't do enough for — and at the top of the list there would have to be the health care part of it." —Associated Press

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/wxe9dw/why-is-congress-on-recess-in-the-middle-of-a-pandemic

“To say that legislators can’t log votes remotely is ridiculous,” former presidential candidate Andrew Yang told VICE News. “It's going to be necessary at some point soon during this crisis as more and more legislators end up self-quarantining, so they should just get the show on the road right now.”

But there's resistance on both sides. In a rare case of bipartisanship from Capitol Hill, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refuse to even entertain the idea of remote voting.

“Let’s not waste time on something that is not going to happen,” the speaker reiterated on a call with reporters when she was asked about remote voting this week. And McConnell agreed. “We’ll not be doing that. There are a number of different ways to avoid getting too many people together,” he said two weeks ago. Reached by VICE News this week, his office stood by his statement.

Sure, lawmakers did manage to pass a sweeping and historic $2 trillion economic package — their third such “stimulus” — but they’re now debating a fourth. The difference is that the first three were debated for all to see, while the fourth is being hashed out on Twitter and cable, in local newspapers, and in private communications completely out of public view.

Congress is unique among federal institutions in this regard; the Pentagon, the CIA, the NSA, the White House, and almost every federal agency can easily conduct secure video conference calls.

“The government relies on it for many, many things. I don't see why Congress should be saying that we can't do it when we’re already doing it,” Yang said.

Indeed, more than 70 members of Congress have all but begged leaders in their respective chambers to rapidly adjust Congress’ arcane, in-person voting system so they can address this perpetually evolving pandemic while quarantined in their homes miles away from the Capitol.

But Pelosi and McConnell have repeatedly raised concerns over potential hacks, expected court challenges to remote voting, and even unforeseen technological glitches. In March, one of Pelosi’s handpicked generals compiled a 21-page memo detailing party leaders’ arguments against remote voting.

"Remote voting raises serious concerns for the potential for another person accessing a member's system and voting on their behalf, including 'deepfakes' in a video-based system," reads a report by the House Rules Committee released last week. Its chair, Rep. Jim McGivern (D-Mass.), wasn’t available for an interview.

The doomsday fears from older lawmakers aren’t shared by the new generation of lawmakers in Washington, especially those with technology knowhow or those who represent places like Silicon Valley.

“Give me a break,” Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) texted VICE News. “Talk to a few folks in Silicon Valley, and they can figure it out. What’s sad is that Apple and Google have better emergency-preparedness plans than the United States Congress. We need to get our act together."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/04/coronavirus-latest-news/%3foutputType=amp

The United States reported on Friday more than 30,000 confirmed coronavirus cases in a day for the first time, bringing the American total to more than 273,000 and the death toll to over 7,000. More than 1 million confirmed cases have been reported around the world.

The tens of thousands of new American cases came as President Trump announced the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that everyone wear a simple, cloth face covering while out in public. Trump said the recommendation was “voluntary” and that he is choosing not to do it, but that “it may be good.”