2020 Oscar Noms are in

SaysWho?

Lack of poc nominated for acting is a huge disappointment. They can claim they are diversifying their members but the proof is in front of us that they haven’t done enough. And this is a year with many GREAT poc performances. The Farewell was completely left out smh. Can they only handle one movie with subtitles? 

glasgow not getting nominated for best song is the biggest snub. Should be the winner of the category. 

I'm glad Parasite broke through with some major awards. Even if it doesn't win (well, Foreign Film is a lock), being there will hopefully get more people to see it. 

19 minutes ago, johnny said:

Lack of poc nominated for acting is a huge disappointment. They can claim they are diversifying their members but the proof is in front of us that they haven’t done enough. And this is a year with many GREAT poc performances. The Farewell was completely left out smh. Can they only handle one movie with subtitles? 

glasgow not getting nominated for best song is the biggest snub. Should be the winner of the category. 

Nobody saw Wild Rose. :rose:

The Farewell should be in BP and director over Joker. 

5 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I'm glad Parasite broke through with some major awards. Even if it doesn't win (well, Foreign Film is a lock), being there will hopefully get more people to see it. 

Nobody saw Wild Rose. :rose:

The Farewell should be in BP and director over Joker. 

Awkwafina won the a Golden Globe and wasn’t even nominated...

1 minute ago, Amazatron said:

Awkwafina won the a Golden Globe and wasn’t even nominated...

The Globes split the acting categories, so they have twice the nominees. And the Oscar nominees match the Globes nominees perfectly for the Drama category while Comedy gets ignored. But then of course you get into the weirdness of "is The Farewell really a comedy, or was it put there because that's an 'easier' place to win?" like a few years ago when Best Comedy went to... The Martian. 

But yeah, I would love to see Awkwafina in there, and Zhao Shuzhen for supporting. 

53 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That's...uhhhhhhh...something.

I have no idea what that "something" is though.

The something is this line of thinking from their members: "People have been complaining for years that we ignore uber-popular comicbook movies. All comicbook movies are trash, but I can pretend this one isn't a comicbook movie."

Frozen II being left off the list was surprising 

Knives Out get a nod for original screenplay but not Best Picture:/ or anything else

Taron Egerton skipped over on best actor (they love actors portraying singers. . . and giving them the win too)

haven’t seen Uncut Gems, but it’s getting nothing but praise from reviewers but gets nothing in the end. 

also though Avengers: Endgame would of seen at least more technical award love but only VFX

I'm not too surprised but more confused if anything

The Joker nominations, especially Best Picture, are interesting given the legacy of The Dark Knight. That movie received a bunch of nominations but was left out of Best Picture, and that's what is usually cited for the reason the BP category was expanded to include up to 10 nominees the following year. 

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, Missing Link won the Golden Globe for animated feature. I've not seen it... nor did I know it existed. :lol: 

I should watch it because I adored TS4, so I want to see what beat it.

Oh man, I watched the Golden Globes (apparently I don't value my free time) and by far my favorite moment was when Missing Link won and every single person in the room was visibly confused. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, Missing Link won the Golden Globe for animated feature. I've not seen it... nor did I know it existed. :lol: 

I should watch it because I adored TS4, so I want to see what beat it.

It's not that good. It's not terrible, but it's also not noteworthy in any way.

• Thanks 1

@johnnyis right that Glasgow from Wild Rose should have won. And more of you guys need to see the film!

Beyond that, I will simply remind everyone that the Oscars are just an industry trade show awards banquet and have no relation to the quality of films :p 

Joker gets a best costume design nomination because, what, he wears a burgundy suit at the end? The clothing didn't exactly scream late '70s/early' 80s to me either if that's why it got nominated like the other period films did. Over films like Endgame or Star Wars that actually have to make up their costumes from scratch, rather than just looking up what the fashion was like in the past. Todd Phillips getting a directing nom over someone like Greta Gerwig is also lol worthy. 

19 minutes ago, Brick said:

Joker gets a best costume design nomination because, what, he wears a burgundy suit at the end? The clothing didn't exactly scream late '70s/early' 80s to me either if that's why it got nominated like the other period films did. Over films like Endgame or Star Wars that actually have to make up their costumes from scratch, rather than just looking up what the fashion was like in the past. Todd Phillips getting a directing nom over someone like Greta Gerwig is also lol worthy. 

Take dat Marbel, DC rulz

Amazing that the Academy misspelled "Uncut Gems" as "Joker" eleven times.

Ford v Ferrari is exactly the kind of movie that I'd expect to get nominated for Best Picture, if it was a better movie. It was perfectly adequate, but certainly not BP worthy. So many movies I'd rather see in that spot.

Jennifer Lopez really should have been in there for Hustlers, and both actors from The Lighthouse should have been nominated. The Best Supporting Actor category is filled with powerhouse names, but I feel like Pesci is the stand out performance.

I love that Knives Out at least got a Screenplay nom.

Margot Robbie got nominated for the wrong movie, even if she was the best part of Bombshell.

Oddly enough, I think Production Design is a interesting category this year. All the noms are deserving, but 1917, Once Upon a Time, and Parasite are all very deserving.

I'd have liked to see Apollo 11 in Docs.

After all the love for Bohemian Rhapsody, it's crazy that Rocketman didn't get any love. I'd argue it's a better movie in every way.

I'm impressed that Jojo Rabbit has gotten so many awards nods this year. Not that it's entirely undeserving, but where was this love for Waititi pre Ragnarok? Hunt for the Wilderpeople had better child acting, a better supporting performance, and was a better overall movie. I guess there's something about the Academy and Nazis.

I wonder if this is the year for Tarantino. Once Upon a Time is probably the most awards friendly movie he's made, even if it's not his best. I didn't realize until I just looked it up that it's the first QT movie nominated for Picture, which really makes me think he's got a good shot.

I'll be rooting for Parasite, but I'd be happy enough with Once Upon a Time winning a bunch.

I feel like there are certain people we should just give Oscars every year, just to spice things up. Streep (she wasn't nominated this year, but could have been), Deakins, John Williams. It might be a bit early, but we might need to put Saoirse Ronan on there too.