2020 Oscar Noms are in

SaysWho?

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I feel like there are certain people we should just give Oscars every year, just to spice things up. Streep (she wasn't nominated this year, but could have been), Deakins, John Williams. It might be a bit early, but we might need to put Saoirse Ronan on there too.

I was just thinking that we can go ahead and start calling Ronan the Streep of her generation. 4th nomination and she's only 25.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I haven't heard any of the songs in the best song category. I just listened to "Glasgow" and if that song deserves to win then that category just needs to die.

you need to listen to it in the context of the movie, it's amazing. I imagine voters did what you just did. 

39 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The John Williams nomination for TRoS practically screams "This is the last time he'll score a Star Wars movie so we'd better throw one his way."

It's his 52nd nomination, so it's more like "he's still alive and working, so we'll give him another one this year" 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

im genuinely surprised uncut gems got NO LOVE here. BP and Adam sandler should have been nominations. Would have taken out Pryce for him. I mean seriously when is Sandler gonna get another shot? And he was AMAZING.

It really is a bit puzzling. It's an amazing performance by a big name actor that rarely does serious work, in a film that has found a ton of love from critics, and made pretty good money at the box office all things considered. It's not uncommon for worthy performances to go overlooked, it's inevitable. But when a movie is well loved, widely seen, and (perhaps most importantly) has a great story to drive nominations, it's odd that Uncut Gems would go so overlooked.

I honestly think Uncut Gems' placement on this list did more to hurt it's awards chances than anything else. Wouldn't want to elevate anything so crude.

Despite a great lineup, A24 just had a bad year for awards. I wonder if they were just too spread out to focus on any particular films or if they just didn't try hard this year. 

4 hours ago, ort said:

It's not that good. It's not terrible, but it's also not noteworthy in any way.

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Could you elaborate? :) 

Well, it's one of those movies you kinda forget right after you watch it. My younger one really wanted to see it, he really liked the commercials and trailers for some reason. So we all went as a family. (My wife also didn't like it, kids both did)

I remember it being pretty boring... it's one of those movies that just doesn't quite come together..... and doesn't quite stick the landing. It thinks it's being way more clever and original than it is, but nothing happens that is really breaking any new ground. I also remember feeling like it suffered through some story problems. The story felt like it was a bit of a frankensteins monster of some conflicting ideas or themes. It felt like it was rewritten like 10 times and suffered because of it. I wish I could be more specific, but it really was pretty forgettable.

I'm a big fan of most Laika stuff, but this one fell flat for me.

But I'm probably being excessivly harsh... it's cute and fluffy and harmless.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ort said:

Well, it's one of those movies you kinda forget right after you watch it. My younger one really wanted to see it, he really liked the commercials and trailers for some reason. So we all went as a family. (My wife also didn't like it, kids both did)

I remember it being pretty boring... it's one of those movies that just doesn't quite come together..... and doesn't quite stick the landing. It thinks it's being way more clever and original than it is, but nothing happens that is really breaking any new ground. I also remember feeling like it suffered through some story problems. The story felt like it was a bit of a frankensteins monster of some conflicting ideas or themes. It felt like it was rewritten like 10 times and suffered because of it. I wish I could be more specific, but it really was pretty forgettable.

I'm a big fan of most Laika stuff, but this one fell flat for me.

But I'm probably being excessivly harsh... it's cute and fluffy and harmless.

Nah, I appreciate it. What you said is similar to what critic Christy Lemire said for NPR: 

"The pieces are all there... [but] I kind of would have preferred to watch the making of the movie than the actual movie."

I'll figure it out for myself, I'm sure. :p 

Man, Jared Leto must be kind of pissed. First he gets upset that a lot of his scenes as The Joker were cut in Suicide Squad, then he's upset that they don't ask him to do the movie "Joker" and both the movie, and Joaquin Phoenix go on to get nominated for Oscars. Plus the nominations come out the same day that the trailer for Morbius comes out; proving that Jared Leto sucks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I honestly think Uncut Gems' placement on this list did more to hurt it's awards chances than anything else. Wouldn't want to elevate anything so crude.

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Weird. I honestly didn't even notice fuck word after fuck word. That feels like something I normally would recognize too.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

After a fucking while, it fucking became just fucking white fucking noise.

That is bullshit. Wolf of Wall Street had several nominations. They will overlook language if it’s Scorsese but not Safdie Bros. The likely answer is that dumb academy voters didn’t like all the yelling like casual people I’ve seen who complained about it. 

also politics 

I'm rooting for OUATIH for best picture as that is the only one on the list I have seen. And by rooting I mean, I really don't care but if I had to pick one from the list it would be that. Knives Out should be up there IMO, and I would have picked that instead. Out of all of the movies in all of the categories I have only seen four of them. The previous two, Endgame, and TRoS. 

If you're angry just because "people of color" weren't nominated for an Oscar, you're a huge part of the problem.

Look, I get it. You want to see someone who represents you be awarded things. But to fucking freak out EVERY GODDAMN TIME there isn't a specific skin tone in every category is just as racist as the bullshit reason you believe they were left out. WAY too many people walk into a room and count the colors. If you do this, you're an asshole. I cannot stress this enough. This also applies to gender, sexual orientation, pronouns, hair style....whatever else you are actively looking to be disappointed by. Do you not see that almost every single person nominated has been nominated before? Do you not understand that studios literally apply and campaign for these awards? Do you not realize that these people and things spend HEAPS of money to catch the attention of the Academy? This is a fucking game, you morons. And you're not on the team. STOP always making it about race. Or sex. Or gender. Or orientation. STOP WALKING INTO A ROOM AND COUNTING THE COLORS. Or the sexes. Or the gays. Just be a fucking person, and root for the person who deserves the fucking job. NOT JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SAME RACE AS YOU. And you can make all the excuses you want about who deserved what. But, shocker, entertainment is relative. How are you surprised that these people are looking out for their friends and family? All you see it as is das racis. Instead of the very real, very common....nepotism. I'll be waiting for the ban, removal, and the angry replies of how I'm Hitler.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Have you seen him post on almost any other topic? :p 

I was saying hopefully he got that out of his system for THIS particular topic... either way I don't really give a shit. That type of commentary isn't even worth a response because it shows so many basic misunderstandings about how racism and sexism work and it's coming from a person who hasn't experienced either. OF COURSE he would be the best person to break that shit down for the rest of us idiot snowflakes.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was saying hopefully he got that out of his system for THIS particular topic... either way I don't really give a shit. That type of commentary isn't even worth a response because it shows so many basic misunderstandings about how racism and sexism work and it's coming from a person who hasn't experienced either. OF COURSE he would be the best person to break that shit down for the rest of us idiot snowflakes.

I mean, he does live in West Virginia and goes almost nowhere outside of his hometown. :p 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, he does live in West Virginia and goes almost nowhere outside of his hometown. :p 

The funny thing is, was anyone really focused on the lack of diversity really? It was mentioned once or twice and then folks moved on and started to complain about other shit. Whether it was Jo's actual opinion or not, did this topic really need that post? I guess the libs got pwned again?

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The funny thing is, was anyone really focused on the lack of diversity really? It was mentioned once or twice and then folks moved on and started to complain about other shit. Whether it was Jo's actual opinion or not, did this topic really need that post? I guess the libs got pwned again?

I mean, it was a point of contention in multiple posts. I don't follow the Oscars, but even I can see the problem.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, it was a point of contention in multiple posts. I don't follow the Oscars, but even I can see the problem.

In this topic? @johnny mentioned it and I mentioned the lack of female directors,  which this year is actually the bigger crime, and that's it. Everyone knows this scary thing, no one is surprised... you mention it and move on. Nobody outside of Hollywood gives a shit about the Oscar's anyway.