2020 Oscar Noms are in

SaysWho?

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Oh you did, you posted screenshots and everything talking about how boring it looked.

When? I legit don't remember saying anything like that. Not saying you can't be right, but I really don't remember saying that about ALttP. Like, I really feel like you are just making shit up here. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

When? I legit don't remember saying anything like that. Not saying you can't be right, but I really don't remember saying that about ALttP. Like, I really feel like you are just making shit up here. 

In the Breath of the Wild thread before the board crashed.

22 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

In the Breath of the Wild thread before the board crashed.

Well, like, I don't believe you, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, I'll still never like retro games more than modern games. Like, I think you people forget ALttP came out before I was even born. No way I'll prefer it over a 3D Zelda title. And let's say I hated ALttP. It really isn't a crazy opinion coming from someone who never played it when it was a more current title. 

And since I am already explaining, that other post isn't my opinion at all. I was reading this thread than later saw that post on reddit. I thought it was funny after reading this thread. I mean, I totally posted it to stir up shit, but I wasn't really expecting people to be like, yep, that's Bacon's opinion. I mean, there are words in the post I have never even used before. 

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

It's like if I posted a Twitter post from Trump and that meant I agree with him. 

You posted that shit with ZERO context. I didn't realize it was a copy paste job until someone pointed it out and even then it was like, "ok these words may not have been his own, but why is he posting them with no explanation?" Again I didn't really give a shit because the post itself was stupid as fuck. But don't pretend like people jumped the gun by assuming this is something you thought or agreed with yourself (which you still haven't clarified by the way) you posted that, by your own admission,  to start some shit. Shit got started, the end. Let's just keep it moving because I still don't see what the point of you posting that the way you did was.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is this his actual opinion or just him copy pasting the reddit post?

Not to be rude, but I knew it wasn't Bacon because that post was too well written to be him. And it wasn't even a well written post.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 2

Some big awards happened this weekend that are making it look like a two horse race. 1917 won the PGA award and Parasite became the first foreign language film to win the SAG award.

Prediction sites still have Once Upon a Time as a likely contender, but I increasingly feel like 1917 is the default "standard Oscar film" this year, with Parasite being the one people are rooting for.

I think the DGA and BAFTAs are coming up this weekend, which will probably solidify something as a clear front runner.

• 2 weeks later...

The BAFTAs and the WGA awards were this weekend, marking the end of the pre-Oscar awards.

Parasite and Jojo Rabbit won the big awards at the WGA, which means there's a real chance for "Academy Award Winner Taika Waititi" to be a thing.

1917 won the BAFTA for Best Film, Director, Cinematography, Production Design, Sound, and Visual Effects. Those wins really cement it as the front runner for the big Oscars.

At this point it seems likely that the Oscars follow suit in most of the other major categories. Renee Zellweger for Actress, Joaquin Phoenix for Actor, Laura Dern and Brad Pitt for supporting, Ford v Ferrari for editing.

Logically, it seems pretty clear that 1917 is going to roll on through to a BP win at the Oscars, but Parasite continues to get just enough love that I'm still holding onto a tiny bit of hope for an upset. 

I watched Parasite again a couple weeks ago, and in my book it's so clearly the best of these movies. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

One of the big themes from this "season" is that everyone loves Bong Joon-Ho, so my one bold prediction is a BP/Director split. 1917 gets Best Picture, Bong gets Director. Kinda like what happened last year with Roma and (sigh) Green Book. 

I think that’s a very plausible scenario. Bong is just so lovable, and 1917 feels like it’s as much Deakin’s movie as it is Mendes’. I’ll probably still mark down Mendes in my Oscar pool, but I’m holding out some hope that voters don’t decide that foreign picture and original screenplay are enough for Bong.

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

Irishman for visual effects. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f294d2adaf631a1cb9a48

I now know the reason this GIF exists. Thank you, Mr. Scorsese for making it possible. 

And Missing Link is the definition of “meh”. 

It’s hilarious how much you hate Scorsese over him not liking marvel movies :rofl: