2020 Oscar Noms are in

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Renée Zellweger winning was probably an upset but I don't think anyone cared enough to fight for the other candidates.

She’s been winning every award for the last few months for a movie literally nobody cares about. So it’s kind of an extended upset. I would have liked to see Saoirse Ronan win out of the nominees, but this was her 4th nomination and she’s only 25. She’ll get it eventually.

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

She’s been winning every award for the last few months for a movie literally nobody cares about. So it’s kind of an extended upset. I would have liked to see Saoirse Ronan win out of the nominees, but this was her 4th nomination and she’s only 25. She’ll get it eventually.

She is the female DiCaprio. I feel like she’s gonna have to wait a while. 

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Renée Zellweger winning was probably an upset but I don't think anyone cared enough to fight for the other candidates.

She was probably the biggest lock of the night.

I don't know why, but somehow she was just established as the obvious winner months ago, and she won pretty much every preliminary award. It always seems odd to me when that happens in a movie that people otherwise don't care about, but it seems like a pretty common occurrence for acting awards.  

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

She was probably the biggest lock of the night.

I don't know why, but somehow she was just established as the obvious winner months ago, and she won pretty much every preliminary award. It always seems odd to me when that happens in a movie that people otherwise don't care about, but it seems like a pretty common occurrence for acting awards.  

Zellweger and Pitt were definitely locks for the evening. No one was surprised they won.

I realize I'm way late on this realization, but I guess given the absolute certainty about Joaquin Phoenix's win I completely overlooked the fact that it was his first win. For some reason I could have sworn that he'd already won an Oscar for Gladiator or The Master or Her (which he wasn't nominated for). While I wasn't Joker's biggest fan, there are few working actors quite as deserving of one.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I realize I'm way late on this realization, but I guess given the absolute certainty about Joaquin Phoenix's win I completely overlooked the fact that it was his first win. For some reason I could have sworn that he'd already won an Oscar for Gladiator or The Master or Her (which he wasn't nominated for). While I wasn't Joker's biggest fan, there are few working actors quite as deserving of one.

Also Brad Pitt's first win.

I guess the whole awards show was the academy cashing in IOUs. :p