In news D1P doesn't care about, Ninja leaves twitch to stream on Mixer.

Bacon

I don’t get the attraction of watching someone else play Fortnite? I played a little of it, and it’s by no means a bad game, but I don’t really understand it’s popularity, apart from the fact it is ‘free’ and on everything?  Does he play anything else?  Is he an entertaining guy?

I am clearly old and not ‘down with the kidz’ any more. 

So Ninja is dropping 14 million subscribers/followers on Twitch to go to Mixr. I hope he got a big pile of cash from MS. I will be surprised if he have half of them follow over to Mixr.

I can hope he has a bail clause in the contract if this move fails to bring his follower over. 

2 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

I don’t get the attraction of watching someone else play Fortnite? I played a little of it, and it’s by no means a bad game, but I don’t really understand it’s popularity, apart from the fact it is ‘free’ and on everything?  Does he play anything else?  Is he an entertaining guy?

I am clearly old and not ‘down with the kidz’ any more. 

Streaming is really popular. I actually mainly watch streams myself. Not as much as soccer but I tend to stream people playing games I play. The streamer needs to have a good personality. Being good at the game helps. Nothing annoys me more then a guy streaming strategy games and flat out doing stupid shit. I think I enjoy it so much because I hate streaming. I prefer the pixture quality of Blu Rays so I rather watch anime or movies tv shows via that method. 

I also like streaming as a way to try games out. I actually bought HOI4 after watching a few streams. They can help you play bettter and learn games. It would be hard to do that for a single player narrative driven game but it works for strategy games and such.

Here is my totally made up scenario. Ninja has been around long enough. He's been on national television. He is most likely set for life financially. Why not take a giant lump of cash from Microsoft and start a new project. If it ends up failing.... no biggie.  Maybe he's getting a little burned out from everything twitch related. 

19 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Here is my totally made up scenario. Ninja has been around long enough. He's been on national television. He is most likely set for life financially. Why not take a giant lump of cash from Microsoft and start a new project. If it ends up failing.... no biggie.  Maybe he's getting a little burned out from everything twitch related. 

You 're right totally made up.

:notsure:

I don’t like Fortnite but I thought the recent competition was fun to watch. Interesting that as good as ninja is, there’s a whole other tier of player he can’t really compete with. 

Old dudes are going to just have to come to terms with esports. Or shout at the cloud, I guess. The venom that comes from especially traditional sports fans about esports is pretty funny to watch. 

Fortnite is just shit to watch, it really is, especially pro level play, the game boils down to a bunch of people on top of each other in their boxes waiting for the storm to move so they can hopefully get the jump on people moving, then the storm stops and they sit in their boxes again taking pot shots at each other, its just shit.

It's unfortunate that MS probably paid a truck load of cash to get him on board, especially since they just recently laid off practically all of their original Mixer personalities. Like, the week after they hosted all the Mixer E3 shit.

I really hope they didnt fire all those people just to bring him over.

8 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Probably. A streamer is useful but not what they are gonna pay him.

You guys really don't get it, do you?

They're not paying for Ninja, they're paying for marketing they could never otherwise achieve no matter what they spent. This will bring in a TON of viewers that would've never even given Mixer a chance, let alone heard of it. Building an install base is absolutely critical. So why not snipe the biggest personality on the competing service?

Here's a hint it worked: You crusty old farts who don't even know why people watch streaming heard of it.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t like Fortnite but I thought the recent competition was fun to watch. Interesting that as good as ninja is, there’s a whole other tier of player he can’t really compete with. 

Old dudes are going to just have to come to terms with esports. Or shout at the cloud, I guess. The venom that comes from especially traditional sports fans about esports is pretty funny to watch. 

I've been making a decent amount of money the last couple of years because of eports so I say bring it on. It may be a bubble that's going to burst at some point but in the meantime,  I'm gonna ride the wave until the wheels fall off lol. I just finished projects for Fortnite and PUBG.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

You guys really don't get it, do you?

They're not paying for Ninja, they're paying for marketing they could never otherwise achieve no matter what they spent. This will bring in a TON of viewers that would've never even given Mixer a chance, let alone heard of it. Building an install base is absolutely critical. So why not snipe the biggest personality on the competing service?

Here's a hint it worked: You crusty old farts who don't even know why people watch streaming heard of it.

'They're not paying for Ninja, they're paying for the install base and brand recognition that Ninja brings' is just about the finest hair split imaginable.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've been making a decent amount of money the last couple of years because of eports so I say bring it on. It may be a bubble that's going to burst at some point but in the meantime,  I'm gonna ride the wave until the wheels fall off lol. I just finished projects for Fortnite and PUBG.

That’s cool. You making money steaming or what exactly are you doing if you don’t mind me asking??

I think the viewership proves that esports will be viable in some fashion in the long term, but I remember reading recently that some esport game (was it overwatch??) was losing money hand over fist. Maybe the model is what DOTA and EVO have done and that’s just how it’s gotta be? 

Someone will probably eventually figure it out and make absurd money for figuring out the right platform and way to present it to the public. It reminds me of the early days of ESPN. 

53 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That’s cool. You making money steaming or what exactly are you doing if you don’t mind me asking??

I think the viewership proves that esports will be viable in some fashion in the long term, but I remember reading recently that some esport game (was it overwatch??) was losing money hand over fist. Maybe the model is what DOTA and EVO have done and that’s just how it’s gotta be? 

Someone will probably eventually figure it out and make absurd money for figuring out the right platform and way to present it to the public. It reminds me of the early days of ESPN. 

There's a bunch of supplemental projects that the esports teams do. I just edited some stuff for the Fortnite World Cup that just happened and I edited a docuseries for PUBG for their phase 2 play off series. These leagues are putting a lot of money into their product and a decent portion of production and editing work out here in LA is being generated by gaming. Because of my interest in gaming my two worlds meet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's a bunch of supplemental projects that the esports teams do. I just edited some stuff for the Fortnite World Cup that just happened and I edited a docuseries for PUBG for their phase 2 play off series. These leagues are putting a lot of money into their product and a decent portion of production and editing work out here in LA is being generated by gaming. Because of my interest in gaming my two worlds meet.

In addition we do have eleague on TNT which seems to be doing good. They jump between CSGO and SFV. 

It's not talked about much but FIFA has a pretty big esport scene as well. It's probably the only game I play where I could get into a tournament. Well i'd need a console because it's based on console rankings.

I watch streamers occasionally to see different tactics for the games i play.  I watch a lot of BF streamers...some of them are just amazing. Its cool to see them approach situations differently and its definitely helped me improve my skills. 

I mostly watch:

Broken Machine

Stodeh

Jack Frags

LevelCap

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sounds really fun. 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

'They're not paying for Ninja, they're paying for the install base and brand recognition that Ninja brings' is just about the finest hair split imaginable.

It needs to be distinguished since people are seemingly assuming that "all" MS is getting out of this is a popular streamer. This is literally building the foundational userbase for their platform, not just bringing over a dude and his fans. The implications would be severely different (obviously) if Mixer was already extremely popular. Maybe it's less about splitting those things and more about extrapolating further info and motivation since people are looking at the small picture.

19 minutes ago, elbobo said:

goddamn I'm old, I barely have enough time to play games anymore let alone watch someone else do it and I don't even have kids. 

In a way it is vicariously living via my streamer. Like i want to play HOI4 every sec of every day but I can't stream.