The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

52 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Wait so two different black men decided to commit suicide in neighboring towns, both by hanging themself from a tree..

NYPD lieutenant apologizes for horrible behavior that has caused him to lose sleep and "goes against every principle and value that I stand for".

Some other quotes from his mea culpa....

"I know that it was wrong and something I will be shamed and humiliated about for the rest of my life,"

“I know I made the wrong decision,"

"The cop in me wants to kick my own a--."

Cattani said he spent the first part of his career working to build a reputation as a good cop and that he "threw that all in the garbage"

What is this horrible atrocity for which he felt compelled to apologize for whole heartedly while those around him give, at best, mealy mouthed half apologies for murdering people?

He took a knee with the protesters a couple weeks ago.

“I know I made the wrong decision," he added. "We didn't know how the protesters would have reacted if we didn't and were attempting to reduce any extra violence."

He said he thought that by kneeling, maybe "one protester/rioter who saw it would later think twice about fighting or hurting a cop."

• Guillotine 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3179232001

In just a few short days, Seattle protesters who once violently clashed with riot police over the death of George Floyd have had their rough edges dulled by tens of thousands of tourists and sightseers. Once criticized by President Donald Trump and FOX News commentators as a haven for anarchists and the far-left Antifa movement, CHAZ has morphed into what looks and feels like a mini Burning Man festival, complete with its own corps of volunteer street cleaners and medics, as well as dreadlocked white girls blowing soap bubbles and taking selfies in front of paintings of men and women killed by Seattle police.

The autonomous zone’s evolution from a somber protest site to street festival highlights the problem Seattle’s Black residents say they face: The city’s overwhelmingly white population loves to protest but might not be taking the Black Lives Matter movement as seriously as they should.

King County, home to Seattle, has about 2.2 million residents, and is about 65% white. Only about 6% of residents are Black and the Seattle Police Department has a long history of using excessive force against the area's minority population. In 2012, President Barack Obama's Justice Department implemented strict oversight of Seattle police, leading to a 60% drop in the use of serious force against the community over the next eight years as taxpayers poured an extra $100 million into the department.

Stewart, however, shakes her head as she thinks about the problems and solutions. A big part of the problem, she says, is that white people who love to protest fail to follow through by holding city officials accountable for new police contracts or spending priorities. She wants to know: Where were these people when the chief pushed back against union contract changes? Where were these people when the city declared the police department "fixed" early last month?

"White people need to stay in when it gets uncomfortable and stop treating this like it is a party," she says. "The marching and the protesting, all of that is important. But the work is every day holding the mayor and the City Council and the Legislature and all the way up to the president accountable.”

A big feature of the Seattle protests is the lack of specific leadership and who gets to negotiate change with the political establishment.

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Body cam footage has been released, although this is just a snippet of the full 90 minute video.

He’s the guy the Wendy’s manager called the cops on for sleeping in his car, right?

So the guy took responsibility by knowing he had a drink or two and decides to sleep it off in a parking lot rather than endanger any lives. 

Fuck the police. Fuck Wendy’s. I’m glad that building got burned down.

Just now, MarSolo said:

He’s the guy the Wendy’s manager called the cops on for sleeping in his car, right?

So the guy took responsibility by knowing he had a drink or two and decides to sleep it off in a parking lot rather than endanger any lives. 

Fuck the police. Fuck Wendy’s. I’m glad that building got burned down.

He wasn't sleeping in the parking lot, he fell asleep in the drive through lane.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

Oh, yikes!

Everyone was saying he was asleep in the parking lot. My mistake. 

I mean he still didn't deserve to be killed, but yeah... that's why the Wendy's Manager called the police. When they first showed up, they wake him up and have him pull over into the parking lot.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Body cam footage has been released.

They'll use the taser as an excuse, but lets be honest here. The cops got angry, tired, and frustrated that he resisted so they shot him.

They rage quit the altercation because cops can do that in this country with no consequences.

I guess I understand why some people are focusing on the part where the cops forced the situation by arresting him, it speaks to the larger societal problem we have. But that shouldn't overshadow the fact that, in this particular case there simply was no justification for lethal force whatever preceded the final chase.

50 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Black man open-carries (legally) and 8 cops arrive. They tell him that although it is legal, it is against "policy." Thank God he had a camera and knew his rights. Even so, it was close.

The only thing these cops think was suspicious was the color of his skin, full stop

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He wasn't sleeping in the parking lot, he fell asleep in the drive through lane.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Oh, yikes!

Everyone was saying he was asleep in the parking lot. My mistake. 

You can, however, get a DUI in many (maybe all?) states for trying to sleep it off in your car since you're "in control of the vehicle", which strikes me as not just bullshit but wildly irresponsible since it's basically daring people to risk driving home drunk. Since sleeping it off in a parking lot somewhere is probably more conspicuous than trying to get away with the driving, and if you're risking a DUI either way you may as well try the option that potentially lets you go home and sleep in your bed.