The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean... there is a such thing as objective truth. People's unwillingness to accept it doesn't change the fact that it exists. There's also subjective truth too... which is where problems come in.

I am a firm believer in the former and do what I can to reach it. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Okay I need some context here... did they find a weapon on him? Was there a reason to believe he was dangerous?  Why was a whole SWAT team there? The guy even asked them why did they have machine guns. They straight executed this guy and I need to know why.  He did reach for his waist ban and the chatter I heard led me to believe that had reason to believe he had something there. Still seems like there were potentially more options they could have used.

This brings me to something I've heard over the years and was reiterated yesterday on Fareed Zakaria's show about policing in this country vs others in the Western world particularly Europe. I'll see if I can find the video but basically Cops here receive on average 20 weeks of training vs Two years in Europe. Cops here are taught to basically be a paramilitary force (without the discipline) and Cops in Europe are more like community guardians. Most importantly, Cops here kill far more people (of all races and nationalities) than their European counterparts.

here is the video... it is a great watch

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/06/14/exp-0614-gps-brooks--hirschfield-on-american-police.cnn

Wish I knew how to embed the video :shrug:

Jesus fucking Christ. There is just so much wrong with that video. Like you said, context, in that short of a report of that guy brandishing a weapon none of this is acceptable. Like literally the only way this makes sense is if there were reports the guy has been walking around waving a gun. And even then, that encounter did not have to end up with that man dead. 

Just now, Dodger said:

Jesus fucking Christ. There is just so much wrong with that video. Like you said, context, in that short of a report of that guy brandishing a weapon none of this is acceptable. Like literally the only way this makes sense is if there were reports the guy has been walking around waving a gun. 

Yeah that's the only way it makes sense for them to approach him the way they did... like he had been reported threatening people with a gun or something. That's the only thing that even comes CLOSE to an explanation.

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Jesus fucking Christ. There is just so much wrong with that video. Like you said, context, in that short of a report of that guy brandishing a weapon none of this is acceptable. Like literally the only way this makes sense is if there were reports the guy has been walking around waving a gun. And even then, that encounter did not have to end up with that man dead. 

From following the tweet it seems this is a case from last year. The guy had a BB gun.

10 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Well fuck was he walking around aiming it at random people? 

No idea. Just they got a call about a guy with a gun. And that the local PD is really aggressive to the homeless community.

I dunno whoelse played SWAT4 but I have come to realize the point system rewarding less then lethal force was wrong. Shouldn't have tried to use pepper spray guns and tasers. Should have just grabbed the M4s and started blasting.

It may not even be the most egregious shooting I've ever seen, but the weaponry, how the cops approached, how he was stone cold dead within a minute of coming into contact with them, how they unloaded on him with fully automatic weapons as a stationary target at nearly point blank range is surreal.

It genuinely looked like a dystopian movie where the police are sent out to execute citizens on the street for the crime of being homeless.

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It may not even be the most egregious shooting I've ever seen, but the weaponry, how the cops approached, how he was stone cold dead within a minute of coming into contact with them, how they unloaded on him with fully automatic weapons as a stationary target at nearly point blank range is surreal.

It genuinely looked like a dystopian movie where the police are sent out to execute citizens on the street for the crime of being homeless.

Looked like a scene out of Robocop or some other dystopian, satirical movie...

In other news A black pastor is assaulted by a group of racial slur spewing white people, draws a weapon to defend himself and is promptly arrested after calling the police

The Shenandoah County community had rallied to McCray's defense after he posted to Facebook earlier this month, saying: Who does a BLACK PERSON call FOR HELP when the Sheriffs and those sworn to HELP & PROTECT you CAN'T SEE you AND CAN'T HEAR you, BUT rather they stand with the MOB and those THAT WANT TO KILL YOU? This HAPPEN TO ME in Edinburg VA (Shenandoah County) on JUNE 1ST, 2020. THIS TRAUMATIC MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE HAS DAMAGED AND CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER. They COULDN'T SEE ME NOR HEAR ME, can YOU? McCray, 61, said he called 911 on Monday, June 1, to report a group of people assaulting him on his property in Edinburg, but afterward, he had to draw his weapon to protect himself.

Oh yeah... he was on HIS property.

McCray told WUSA that it started when he noticed two people dragging an old fridge toward the dumpsters at the apartment building he owns in Edinburg. He said he asked the two to leave the property and they "got irate" with him before leaving. But then they came back with three others, threatening him and "using all types of racial slurs," he said. According to McCray, they surrounded him and one man began head-butting him, leaving him at the point he felt he had no choice but to pull a handgun and call 911. But when deputies arrived, McCray says only one talked with him, didn't ask for his story, spoke with the white family who had attacked him, and then seized his weapon and arrested him in front of the people who had just been assaulting him.

“How humiliating,” he told NVDaily. “How dehumanizing … to look at this mob of individuals cheering on the sidelines waving as I was carted off to go to jail.” Sheriff Carter announced on Friday that after deputies responded to the 911 call on June 1 in the area of Prince St., he met with McCray on June 3. The sheriff says after his discussions with the pastor, it was apparent to him that the charge of brandishing against McCray “was certainly not appropriate.” The Virginia code says the charge does "not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense."

They DID eventually arrest the mob though

Five people have been arrested in Shenandoah County in connection to an ongoing case surrounding a black pastor who was allegedly assaulted by a group of people, drew a weapon to protect himself, and ended up being the one arrested. Mugshots of Amanda Salyers, Donny Salyers, Dennis Salyers, Farrah Salyers, and Christopher Sharp provided by Shenandoah County Sheriff's Office According to an announcement from Shenandoah County Sheriff Timothy Carter on Friday afternoon, the charge of brandishing a firearm against Pastor Leon McCray, of Lighthouse Church & Marketplace Ministries International in Woodstock, was dropped earlier this week.

So... yay?

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Fuck I'm white and I want as little interaction with the police as I can get as I'm afraid saying/doing the wrong thing could get me killed, can't even imagine what it must feel like to be a minority around the police. 

Honestly, growing up I was never really scared of interactions with them, but now I am definitely am.

We took our daughter shooting today just outside of Las Vegas.  I was pleasantly surprised to see around half of the shooters there in the desert were black or minorities.  It's good to see people of all colors, not just whites, practicing their civil liberties.  :)

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

We took our daughter shooting today just outside of Las Vegas.  I was pleasantly surprised to see around half of the shooters there in the desert were black or minorities.  It's good to see people of all colors, not just whites, practicing their civil liberties.  :)

Here you go...

• Thanks 1

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/06/15/journalist-attacked-black-lives-matter-protest-reno-city-hall/3149426001/

Like many journalists Don Dike-Anukam doesn't want to make himself part of the story.

But Dike-Anukam didn't have a choice on Saturday, May 30, when a group of demonstrators turned violent and attacked him in front of City Hall in downtown Reno.

"I don't necessarily see myself as a victim," said Dike-Anukam, who was providing coverage for the website ThisisReno.com. "I think of myself as doing what you are supposed to do."

The group that included Dike-Anukam's attackers was an offshoot from a much larger group of demonstrators who held peaceful, anti-police brutality protests earlier in the day. 

The earlier protest included people who carried signs and peacefully called for political leaders to take seriously the effects of systemic racism in the U.S., which results in a lack of accountability for police who unjustly arrest, or attack people of color at disproportionately high rates.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I had seen this video floating around and never watched it. He took all of the words right out of my mouth. I can say more about the 2nd Amendment crowd but it’s best to slow walk these things.

I had actually never seen any of his videos until I saw this one floating around. I must say, he's been pretty good the last couple of weeks. His video titles are also really right-wing clickbait, which I very much approve.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I had actually never seen any of his videos until I saw this one floating around. I must say, he's been pretty good the last couple of weeks. His video titles are also really right-wing clickbait, which I very much approve.

He reminds me so much of a buddy of mine... whenever folks see the two of us out drinking they look at us like WTF?! :lol:

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I never want to hear another peep from anyone about how the second amendment is there to check abuses of power from the state after these protests. If you’re willing to get in a cop’s face about Red Lobster being closed but you’re not out there now when the cops are shooting back, what’s the fucking point? Especially after footage where the police are willing to work with Proud Boys and shit like that, it’s clear that its main function is enabling white supremacy and facilitating mass shootings. Abolish that shit.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I never want to hear another peep from anyone about how the second amendment is there to check abuses of power from the state after these protests. If you’re willing to get in a cop’s face about Red Lobster being closed but you’re not out there now when the cops are shooting back, what’s the fucking point? Especially after footage where the police are willing to work with Proud Boys and shit like that, it’s clear that its main function is enabling white supremacy and facilitating mass shootings. Abolish that shit.

Remember Tamir Rice, the twelve year old was shot and killed for carrying a toy gun in an open carry state? Those open carry laws really seem to apply equally for everyone.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:58 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Check out this Karen. Terrifying

So about these 2 shit birds 

https://www.sfgate.com/local/editorspicks/article/Lisa-Alexander-apology-Black-Lives-Matter-SF-15339447.php

"After an investigation into the circumstances of a video alleging racism by one of our associates, we have concluded that the actions of he and his partner were inconsistent with our values, and the associate is no longer employed with Raymond James," the statement reads.

Since the video was released, Alexander appears to have deleted her Twitter account and the website for LA FACE is now inactive. Birchbox, a former distributor of the skincare line, later announced it had cut ties with her brand and would not work with it again in the future.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Remember Tamir Rice, the twelve year old was shot and killed for carrying a toy gun in an open carry state? Those open carry laws really seem to apply equally for everyone.

Or John Crawford III. Or Phildando Castille.

On another subject, has anyone else read the story of Cariol Horne?

Seems like a glaring example of how PD's are not only negligent or complicit in a culture of excessive force but actively root out anyone who dares to challenge that culture.

The most striking part is, despite the original incident happening almost 15 years ago, just how relavent her story is today. She physically stopped a fellow officer from using a chokehold on a cuffed suspect because she was worried he couldn't breath. She was fired from the same PD that pushed down that old guy a week or so back. Remember when many observers were like, "look, that one cop even appears to try to help him until the other one stops him". Geez, I wonder where that type of enforced indifference to the welfare of civilians comes from.

30 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Or John Crawford III. Or Phildando Castille.

On another subject, has anyone else read the story of Cariol Horne?

Seems like a glaring example of how PD's are not only negligent or complicit in a culture of excessive force but actively root out anyone who dares to challenge that culture.

The most striking part is, despite the original incident happening almost 15 years ago, just how relavent her story is today. She physically stopped a fellow officer from using a chokehold on a cuffed suspect because she was worried he couldn't breath. She was fired from the same PD that pushed down that old guy a week or so back. Remember when many observers were like, "look, that one cop even appears to try to help him until the other one stops him". Geez, I wonder where that type of enforced indifference to the welfare of civilians comes from.

You know how I know everything is fucked? I had read up on that story at the time and it had completely slipped from memory, even with everything else that's gone on. This kind of stuff happens so often, it's just impossible to keep it all up there. I really hope she gets her pension. Funny how the police union in Buffalo will send crowds to cheer guys relieved of duty for giving a 75y/o brain damage, but will turn a blind eye to a 19yr vet.