The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

You can, however, get a DUI in many (maybe all?) states for trying to sleep it off in your car since you're "in control of the vehicle", which strikes me as not just bullshit but wildly irresponsible since it's basically daring people to risk driving home drunk. Since sleeping it off in a parking lot somewhere is probably more conspicuous than trying to get away with the driving, and if you're risking a DUI either way you may as well try the option that potentially lets you go home and sleep in your bed.

Absolutely. It perversely incentivizes trying to drive drunk once you have realized you’re in too bad of a condition to drive. Dumb policy. We should have free tows and rides for people who are too sauced to drive home.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Absolutely. It perversely incentivizes trying to drive drunk once you have realized you’re in too bad of a condition to drive. Dumb policy. We should have free tows and rides for people who are too sauced to drive home.

What we should have is not have spent the last 80 years designing our cities and suburbs to require an automobile for basic transportation (because of racism), but yes that works too

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

You can, however, get a DUI in many (maybe all?) states for trying to sleep it off in your car since you're "in control of the vehicle", which strikes me as not just bullshit but wildly irresponsible since it's basically daring people to risk driving home drunk. Since sleeping it off in a parking lot somewhere is probably more conspicuous than trying to get away with the driving, and if you're risking a DUI either way you may as well try the option that potentially lets you go home and sleep in your bed.

I'm pretty sure that's only if you're in the driver seat. 

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

They'll use the taser as an excuse, but lets be honest here. The cops got angry, tired, and frustrated that he resisted so they shot him.

They rage quit the altercation because cops can do that in this country with no consequences.

I guess I understand why some people are focusing on the part where the cops forced the situation by arresting him, it speaks to the larger societal problem we have. But that shouldn't overshadow the fact that, in this particular case there simply was no justification for lethal force whatever preceded the final chase.

I agree wholeheartedly and there should be outrage over this but I dislike the dishonesty people use to rile people up. There are like a million other cases so very cut and dry.  Being dishonest only will work against the cause.  At first I was like fuck Wendy’s but what u gonna do when a dude falls asleep in the goddamn drive through.  People claiming he did absolutely nothing wrong? Cmon, was police intervention a likely outcome, absolutely.  The problem is police are often murderers.  I’m absolutely outraged about the outcome but I hate when people on my side of the debate are dishonest.  It works against you.

edit: I do however think it was bullshit that the cops got called on a counterfeit $20. Just take the hit. It was a black man and you know excessive force will be used for a fucking 20.

a fucking 20

7 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I agree wholeheartedly and there should be outrage over this but I dislike the dishonesty people use to rile people up. There are like a million other cases so very cut and dry.  Being dishonest only will work against the cause.  At first I was like fuck Wendy’s but what u gonna do when a dude falls asleep in the goddamn drive through.  People claiming he did absolutely nothing wrong? Cmon, was police intervention a likely outcome, absolutely.  The problem is police are often murderers.  I’m absolutely outraged about the outcome but I hate when people on my side of the debate are dishonest.  It works against you.

Why do police need to be involved? Why can't we issue a traffic citation from unarmed traffic enforcement and give him a tow home?

The problem is we have armed agents of the state for every. Single. Situation. When often it is massive overkill.

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Why do police need to be involved? Why can't we issue a traffic citation from unarmed traffic enforcement and give him a tow home?

The problem is we have armed agents of the state for every. Single. Situation. When often it is massive overkill.

I said that.

i said the problem is cops are murderers. So your right, but that doesn’t exist . 

anyway, my point is don’t lie and say he was just parked in lot.  There is no need to lie and lying will only fuel the opposition.  
Lies are for MAGA chuds.  We are better than that and more importantly, we are right 

Wait, that's illegal? I've spent hours half asleep/passed out in my car because I was too drunk to drive more than once. I thought I was being responsible.

Then again, I'm white... I would probably just get a warning. This feels like one of those laws they only enforce if they don't like you.

"If you see a store window that needs bashing in, just yelp for help!" says Commissar Ryder in every episode. "Karl is on the case! No innocent business too big, no commie too small!" Karl will patrol the town and help citizens by bashing in windows, lighting things on fire, and punching Nazis. If he can't find a Nazi, he'll just punch the nearest person.

Progressives praised the long-awaited change from a problematic police dog to a much more moral, upstanding communist canine. "Finally, I can let my kids watch this show," said Portland man Jayden Dollatino. "I mean, if I had kids. I won't because I love the planet."

"We hear the complaints loud and clear," said a representative for Spin Master and Nickelodeon. "It was never our intention to show toddlers that police officers might be good sometimes. We are so, so sorry."

"Karl is a great role model for your kids: he hates fascism and shows it by destroying things."

Unfortunately for Spin Master and Nickelodeon, progressives aren't big on forgiveness so they burnt down all their studios anyway.

19 minutes ago, Jose said:

A guy from my HS was drunk in the backseat of his car in his driveway and was given a DUI. DUI laws are hardcore, as they should be.

They should not be counterproductive though, as they frequently are.

2 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

I said that.

i said the problem is cops are murderers. So your right, but that doesn’t exist . 

anyway, my point is don’t lie and say he was just parked in lot.  There is no need to lie and lying will only fuel the opposition.  
Lies are for MAGA chuds.  We are better than that and more importantly, we are right 

I'm all about facts being presented for what they are which is why I corrected the record. That said, why does "our side" have to be bastions of truth all of the time? Not only do Cops lie all of the time on their official police reports, they are not required to tell the truth even when pursuing a case. It is legal for them to straight up lie to suspects about evidence they may or may not have in order to get them to incriminate themselves.

That Tweet earlier that showed those Officers arresting that protestor after they caused him to initiate minor physical contact? I wasn't joking when I said that would be written up as assaulting and officer... cops get REAL creative with their reports. I don't get sidetracked with the "opposition" when having these discussions when the facts aren't always on my side because at the end of the day, the man was shot in the back twice and killed for the crime of sleeping off a bender in his car :| Focus on THAT the next time you're in a debate with someone about one of these situations. 

3 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

At first I was like fuck Wendy’s but what u gonna do when a dude falls asleep in the goddamn drive through. 

Maybe get an employee or manager to walk outside and wake the guy up and say hey, "you're in the drive through you have to move" 🤷

4 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

We are better than that and more importantly, we are right 

And this is why "liberals" will keep losing over and over and over again.

No one should give a damn if lying "fuels" the opposition?  They don't need "lying" to get 'em going and so freakin' what if it does?  They sure as hell don't care about the "truth" and neither should "our" side.  "Liberals" spend far too much time concerned about being "better" and being "right" than actually doing the one thing that actually matters: winning.  Wanting to retain the "moral high ground" is why liberals lose.  Absolutely no one cares about it, nor should they.

It's the equivalent of brandishing a dull butter knife (and that's what you have when you rely on "truth" and "being right") while the other side is more than willing to use thermonuclear weapons.  American liberals need to get over the "moral high ground" and treat politics as war.  This scene from The Untouchables pretty much explains it all:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

If you want to bend the truth as a means to an end, I am actually totally fine with it. Just don't express moral outrage when the other side does it too. 

No problem here!  I'm actually VASTLY more irritated by the #Resistence dweebs who shoot a load of rope across the room every time they catch the Dotard-in-Chief in a lie than I am by the lie itself.

#TRUMP LIED PEOPLE DIED #RESISTANCE #BLUE WAVE #NOT MY PRESIDENT

Besides, I philosophically don't acknowledge the existence of "truth" anyway!

13 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

No problem here!  I'm actually VASTLY more irritated by the #Resistence dweebs who shoot a load of rope across the room every time they catch the Dotard-in-Chief in a lie than I am by the lie itself.

#TRUMP LIED PEOPLE DIED #RESISTANCE #BLUE WAVE #NOT MY PRESIDENT

Besides, I philosophically don't acknowledge the existence of "truth" anyway!

Yes sir. No one can say you are not consistent. Others do not do this, though, and come off as massive hypocrites.

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

And this is why "liberals" will keep losing over and over and over again.

No one should give a damn if lying "fuels" the opposition?  They don't need "lying" to get 'em going and so freakin' what if it does?  They sure as hell don't care about the "truth" and neither should "our" side.  "Liberals" spend far too much time concerned about being "better" and being "right" than actually doing the one thing that actually matters: winning.  Wanting to retain the "moral high ground" is why liberals lose.  Absolutely no one cares about it, nor should they.

It's the equivalent of brandishing a dull butter knife (and that's what you have when you rely on "truth" and "being right") while the other side is more than willing to use thermonuclear weapons.  American liberals need to get over the "moral high ground" and treat politics as war.  This scene from The Untouchables pretty much explains it all:

super troopers good job GIF by Fox Searchlight

30 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Extremely graphic:

Okay I need some context here... did they find a weapon on him? Was there a reason to believe he was dangerous?  Why was a whole SWAT team there? The guy even asked them why did they have machine guns. They straight executed this guy and I need to know why.  He did reach for his waist ban and the chatter I heard led me to believe that had reason to believe he had something there. Still seems like there were potentially more options they could have used.

This brings me to something I've heard over the years and was reiterated yesterday on Fareed Zakaria's show about policing in this country vs others in the Western world particularly Europe. I'll see if I can find the video but basically Cops here receive on average 20 weeks of training vs Two years in Europe. Cops here are taught to basically be a paramilitary force (without the discipline) and Cops in Europe are more like community guardians. Most importantly, Cops here kill far more people (of all races and nationalities) than their European counterparts.

here is the video... it is a great watch

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/06/14/exp-0614-gps-brooks--hirschfield-on-american-police.cnn

Wish I knew how to embed the video :shrug:

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This brings me to something I've heard over the years and was reiterated yesterday on Fareed Zakaria's show about policing in this country vs others in the Western world particularly Europe. I'll see if I can find the video but basically Cops here receive on average 20 weeks of training vs Two years in Europe. Cops here are taught to basically be a paramilitary force (without the discipline) and Cops in Europe are more like community guardians. Most importantly, Cops here kill far more people (of all races and nationalities) than their European counterparts.

We had this discussion in this thread. @Emperor Diocletian II said even a "developing country" like Trinidad has higher training standards.

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

We had this discussion in this thread. @Emperor Diocletian II said even a "developing country" like Trinidad has higher training standards.

Watch that video... also I remember an interview with an inspector from Scotland Yard watching some American detectives interrogate a suspect and pointing out why he thought Americans got so many false confessions. Something to do with already having an outcome in mind that they wanted vs actually finding out the truth.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Watch that video... also I remember an interview with an inspector from Scotland Yard watching some American detectives interrogate a suspect and pointing out why he thought Americans got so many false confessions. Something to do with already having an outcome in mind that they wanted vs actually finding out the truth.

I haven't seen anything like that (an actual interrgation) but I can believe it.  It's easier to just push things to how they assume it went down then to have to possibly Sherlock Holmes it up to determine the truth.

Edit: Saying the word truth bothers me now thanks @Emperor Diocletian II I am still a firm believer in there being a truth.

7 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I haven't seen anything like that (an actual interrgation) but I can believe it.  It's easier to just push things to how they assume it went down then to have to possibly Sherlock Holmes it up to determine the truth.

Edit: Saying the word truth bothers me now thanks Emperor Diocletian II. I am still a firm believer in there being a truth.

I mean... there is a such thing as objective truth. People's unwillingness to accept it doesn't change the fact that it exists. There's also subjective truth too... which is where problems come in.