Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

2016 broke so many people.

When you watch a man like Trump get elected while dealing with unemployment for months because the shithead company you worked for hired you, gave you completely different duties  and then fired you less than three weeks later because "we don't think you're a good fit", you tell me if your psyche comes out of that twisted version of hell unscathed.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yes, this supports the idea that there was justifiable cause for prosecuting Trump, but they referred it to Congress.

But considering that they said that they would have cleared Trump if the evidence had supported that conclusion, that means they would not have referred this to Congress if there was nothing to refer. This is literally "we found crimes but it's Congress's job to prosecute."

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

When you watch a man like Trump get elected while dealing with unemployment for months because the shithead company you worked for hired you, gave you completely different duties  and then fired you less than three weeks later because "we don't think you're a good fit", you tell me if your psyche comes out of that twisted version of hell unscathed.

I lost one of my closest friends not too long before Trump was elected, among other things. 2016 wasn't a walk in the park for me, but I decided not to let the sunken feeling after he was announced president-elect ruin everything and resolved to better myself regardless of the shitshow his presidency would inevitably be.

Some people don't have the luxury of that (asylum seekers, for example). Most of us here do.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

But considering that they said that they would have cleared Trump if the evidence had supported that conclusion, that means they would not have referred this to Congress if there was nothing to refer. This is literally "we found crimes but it's Congress's job to prosecute."

Yes, exactly. They effectively said "There is  reason to prosecute Trump, but we cannot do it because our investigation is wrapping up, so Congress should look into it," and Barr turned that into "Mueller chose not to prosecute."

I am curious how the NYT and others will report this.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I lost one of my closest friends not too long before Trump was elected, among other things. 2016 wasn't a walk in the park for me, but I decided not to let the sunken feeling after he was announced president-elect ruin everything.

Some people don't have the luxury of that (asylum seekers, for example). Most of us here do.

I'm sorry about your friend.

I've been trying to get better at not being so bitter and cynical, but nothing this pile of racist Cheetos in an ill-fitting business suit has done for the last 2+ years has convinced me things will get better in the political world.

Things have gotten a lot better for me personally since then, and I'm eternally grateful for that.  But that's just from a personal perspective, and I dont give trump any credit for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I'm sorry about your friend.

I've been trying to get better at not being so bitter and cynical, but nothing this pile of racist Cheetos in an ill-fitting business suit has done for the last 2+ years has convinced me things will get better in the political world.

Things have gotten a lot better for me personally since then, and I'm eternally grateful for that.  But that's just from a personal perspective, and I dont give trump any credit for it.

That's what I mean by bettering yourself regardless of what Trump does. It's indisputably been a shitshow, and I remember feeling so weird and confused after he won. It was surreal because I have roots in NY, saw Trump Tower every time I went to visit, and had a neutral feeling because I used to view him as just this rich dickhead who lived somewhere fancy and feuded with Rosie O'Donnell, but wasn't someone who I had to think about on a daily basis so whatever.

So I said, "I need to make sure 2017 is as good a year it can be regardless of what he does. And I need to get involved." And so even if it's the tiniest referendum vote, I'll partake. And I acquired new hobbies, I traveled more, I lost weight and felt good about how I looked, and this all took time. But I'm glad I did it, and if there was any silver lining, it's that I realized I'm in a position that my happiness doesn't have to be tied to the president (important that I'm in this position since if you're, say, trans, you're not as fortunate). 2017 ended up being one of my happiest years, but it took effort throughout the whole year.

And it also means when something he does affects me (his crappy health care "plan"), I can get involved and do what I can. And after seeing the massive town hall protests defending the ACA and going up against GOP lies about "death panels," the massive people marching to ensure women are heard in the realm of sexual harassment, the many groups working to welcome and support our LGBT friends, the massive Democratic wins last year and the many people in my red area who came out canvassing for Democrats, and the overwhelming amount of people who ran for office because they were sickened by Trump's win, I saw there are many good people who get off their asses to make things better in this country. It was g'damn inspiring.

End of the day, Hillary received 65 million votes. In this system, that doesn't get her a win (shitty and needs to change, but it's our system currently). But that does mean there are at least 65 million people who didn't want Trump, and millions and millions of those were involved, are involved and will continue to be involved. There's a lot I'm optimistic about, but it all takes a lot of work and time since Trump is a symptom of many long-standing problems that just became louder, and part of that work is bettering yourself. That's the foundation since you can't be happy no matter who's in office if you're not content with your life.

Plus, you have a supportive group of people here who'll help you out. :) :hug:

• Thanks 1

The overall impression that I get is that there are absolutely grounds for impeachment here, but I doubt we'll see that happen. He'd never get convicted, so most Democrats will probably not see it as worthwhile. They don't want a Clinton situation, even if Trump's obstruction is more like Nixon's than Clinton's.

I'm looking at cable news and network news coverage, and it doesn't seem that Barr "getting ahead" of the story is really working. They're going through the whole report and looking at a lot of damning stuff that'll give Trump some bad headlines, and they're also highlighting contradictions between what Barr said and what the report says.

This gives Democrats a ton of ammo in 2020 because we have (most of) the actual report.

14 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The overall impression that I get is that there are absolutely grounds for impeachment here, but I doubt we'll see that happen. He'd never get convicted, so most Democrats will probably not see it as worthwhile. They don't want a Clinton situation, even if Trump's obstruction is more like Nixon's than Clinton's.

Roger Ailes was absolutely right. Nixon would never have resigned if Fox News and conservative radio existed.

These are grounds for impeachment, more so than any president in American history. But our political dialogue and conscious has been infected with the idea that the country can't survive an impeachment, or that impeachment is a inherently partisan decision.

:ohsnap:

I expected nothing and we end up getting a fuckton from it.

As for the talk of impeachment, I still feel it’s something that should be done. What good are laws when you can just pull shit for 4 years then bail and nobody does shit about it.

44 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Roger Ailes was absolutely right. Nixon would never have resigned if Fox News and conservative radio existed.

These are grounds for impeachment, more so than any president in American history. But our political dialogue and conscious has been infected with the idea that the country can't survive an impeachment, or that impeachment is a inherently partisan decision.

Oh, good lord dude.

spacer.png