Update: Mueller to testify before House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 24

8 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Double spaced looks like it was written by a freshman who just learned how to type on a page count.

My stint as a newspaper editor in college keyed me in on fucking with the character spacing. It would often just push sentences onto a new line, or pull them back onto the previous line (I had a couple of professors with page maximums, not minimums). As a bonus, you have to click into the "paragraph" menu from the right click context menu, it isn't displayed in the toolbar like line spacing, so you can pretty reliably bet nobody's gonna go check that if you're not too blatant about it. 

For printed submissions I'd also do shit like 1.1/0.9 line spacing. 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

For printed submissions I'd also do shit like 1.1/0.9 line spacing. 

I remember my "trick" in high school when writing reports was a 12.5 font and 1.1 spacing.  You turn that four and a half page report MAGICALLY into a 5 page report!

EDIT:  As to why I do two spaces after a period:  That's how I was taught in 8th grade typing class.

16 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's my standard operating procedure to threaten to fire any subordinate who doesn't use two spaces after a period.

It's my standard operating procedure to threaten to fire any subordinate who doesn't use LaTeX, which renders the whole dilemma moot.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Double spaced looks like it was written by a freshman on a page count who just learned how to type.

Nah the secret is to make the punctuation size 14 while making the font size 12. Or, just put a paragraph at the end but change it to white font to increase the word count.

Not things I’ve done btw.

Judge Amy Berman Jackson's quote deserves more airtime than it gets whenever someone uses that ridiculous "You can't obstruct without an underlying crime" defense.

"It’s not particularly persuasive to argue that an investigation hasn’t found anything when you lied to the investigators.”

2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I've read much of the Mueller Report today, and read numerous articles summarizing and analyzing the findings.

This is without question the best:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-mueller-found-russia-and-obstruction-first-analysis 

Good read. Some notable excerpts....

This report shows that the Trump campaign was reasonably aware of the Russian efforts, at least on the hacking side. They were aware the Russians sought to help them win. They welcomed that assistance. Instead of warning the American public, they instead devised a public relations and campaign strategy that sought to capitalize on Russia’s illicit assistance. In other words, the Russians and the Trump campaign shared a common goal, and each side worked to achieve that goal with basic knowledge of the other side’s intention. They just didn’t agree to work together toward that goal together.

This is not, in short, a circumstance in which Mueller summed up all the evidence for obstruction and all the evidence against it and just couldn’t make up his mind—or decided to defer to the attorney general for judgment. Mueller’s decision not to reach a traditional prosecutorial judgment in no sense indicates that the evidence of possible obstruction by the president was weak—“No Collusion, No Obstruction,” as the president tweeted. To the contrary, the more time one spends with the obstruction section of the report, the more it suggests that the Mueller team believed the evidence of obstruction to be very strong