Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The only major things Cat is right about in the first three seasons are that the Karstarks will bail if Robb beheads their lord and that Robb breaking his engagement with Mystery Frey is a bad idea. She’s wrong about literally everything else that actually matters. Ned is even worse, the only smart thing he does is teach Arya how to fence. At every other turn he’s living that nightmare where you’re taking an exam for a class you never went to. 

Which is why Littlefinger and Varys both realized that while he may be an honorable man and a great soldier, he was TERRIBLE at The Game. Cersei realized it after ONE conversation with him. It was kind of the point of his character... he was out of his depth when it came to the REAL games of power.

So now that the dragons are completely worthless against the ballistas, how the hell is their half-assed army supposed to siege King’s Landing.  Cersei should have just rained down arrows on those morons demanding unconditional surrender with like 50 unsullied and a useless dragon.

I did like the political discussions, but my god have the battle tactics been atrocious.

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How would Bran know about Euron? He sees the past not the future? If he warged into Ravens and saw the fleet he would have known, but he's not omnipotent..

He has had visions of the future before, but its not something he controls

Rewatched the episode.  It kinda feels like the story is building up to something very impactful.

The next two episodes might even have levels of tragedy and shock that we haven't seen since season 3 or 4.   A lot of emotionally powerful death scenes, betrayals, twists, etc. Not just "didn't expect that!" twists like most of the last ten episodes, but some truly holy fuckadoodle doo moments that rival the Red Wedding and Ned's death.  

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

He has had visions of the future before, but its not something he controls

When? Jojen Reed could see the future but I don't think Bran could. Also I don't think Jojen could see any future besides his own. The Red Woman could see the future somewhat, but it was far from reliable and clear.

So now that the dragons are completely worthless against the ballistas, how the hell is their half-assed army supposed to siege King’s Landing.  Cersei should have just rained down arrows on those morons demanding unconditional surrender with like 50 unsullied and a useless dragon.

I did like the political discussions, but my god have the battle tactics been atrocious.

Danerys and The Unsullied that were with her, along with Drogon, were well out of range of their archers. What the King's Landing forces COULD have done was attempt to ride them down as i didn't see any cavalry with Danerys' forces... if we're going to nitpick, let's at least nitpick right :p

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Danerys and The Unsullied that were with her, along with Drogon, were well out of range of their archers. What the King's Landing forces COULD have done was attempt to ride them down as i didn't see any cavalry with Danerys' forces... if we're going to nitpick, let's at least nitpick right :p

LOL, no they were not out of range.  Arrows could definitely reach that group from an elevated position.  Plus, the numerous ballistas on the tower walls could have decimated that group in a second.  Let's not forget that the ballistas had the range to take down a dragon out of the sky where apparently Danaerys couldn't see a fleet a ships from up there.

zl1jkAr.jpg

While it's not surprising, it's definitely annoying reading /r/asoiaf (and everywhere else this show is discussed) and seeing people suddenly complain about something they wouldn't have cared about earlier. Like battle mechanics (something the show itself has never cared much about "I'll just sail my entire army and navy into this cove with only one way in or out what could go wrong?"), or character motivations (Jamie losing his willpower and running back to Cersei is the most human this show has been since at least season 3), or scenery ("OMG that doesn't look like King's Landing's walls from S04E01 fuck this show!"). All because that one theory that their favorite YouTuber discussed as he read passages of A Feast for Crows from the toilet didn't pan out.

For the past 2-3 seasons there has been an unofficial motto on set, in the writers' room, and even among fandom. "Efficiency is coming."

Well, efficiency done came motherfuckers. It's the final season. Every possible character arc and conclusion has been discussed ad nauseam. I'm sorry the writers didn't pick yours. But go ahead and let the hate flow through you so you can bitch about every tiny detail you never would have noticed or even cared to mention previously.

Level set. You'll spend less time being irrationally upset about a show that can't possibly meet the expectations you've convinced yourself are the one and only way this can possibly end with a satisfying conclusion.

Now, all that being said... IMO Bronn's scene really didn't feel like Bronn even though that was the Bronniest thing that Bronn would do.

26 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

While it's not surprising, it's definitely annoying reading /r/asoiaf (and everywhere else this show is discussed) and seeing people suddenly complain about something they wouldn't have cared about earlier. Like battle mechanics (something the show itself has never cared much about "I'll just sail my entire army and navy into this cove with only one way in or out what could go wrong?"), or character motivations (Jamie losing his willpower and running back to Cersei is the most human this show has been since at least season 3), or scenery ("OMG that doesn't look like King's Landing's walls from S04E01 fuck this show!"). All because that one theory that their favorite YouTuber discussed as he read passages of A Feast for Crows from the toilet didn't pan out.

For the past 2-3 seasons there has been an unofficial motto on set, in the writers' room, and even among fandom. "Efficiency is coming."

Well, efficiency done came motherfuckers. It's the final season. Every possible character arc and conclusion has been discussed ad nauseam. I'm sorry the writers didn't pick yours. But go ahead and let the hate flow through you so you can bitch about every tiny detail you never would have noticed or even cared to mention previously.

Level set. You'll spend less time being irrationally upset about a show that can't possibly meet the expectations you've convinced yourself are the one and only way this can possibly end with a satisfying conclusion.

Now, all that being said... IMO Bronn's scene really didn't feel like Bronn even though that was the Bronniest thing that Bronn would do.

There's a LOT of moments in the earlier seasons foreshadowing much of the story in the last two seasons and where it might be going. Wonder how they're going to deal with those emotions when the next book and/or GRRM reveals in interviews just how many of the show's character arcs and narrative beats angering them been in the works by the author for several years.

3 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

Wonder how they're going to deal with those emotions when the next book and/or GRRM reveals in interviews just how many of the show's character arcs and narrative beats angering them been in the works by the author for several years.

Miserable book people would be okay because they would assume GRRM would make everything perfect and fleshed out so that his version would be awesome but the books will never come out so the show is all they get! 

18 minutes ago, johnny said:

Miserable book people would be okay because they would assume GRRM would make everything perfect and fleshed out so that his version would be awesome but the books will never come out so the show is all they get! 

Which, whether the books come out or not, is funny considering how season 1-5 were arguably paced more reasonably for the most part with less filler details than the books.  Fans like that also tend to get mad at the show exercising restraint with a lot of the superfluously bizarre character design choices from the books too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 hours ago, Amazatron said:

LOL, no they were not out of range.  Arrows could definitely reach that group from an elevated position.  Plus, the numerous ballistas on the tower walls could have decimated that group in a second.  Let's not forget that the ballistas had the range to take down a dragon out of the sky where apparently Danaerys couldn't see a fleet a ships from up there.

zl1jkAr.jpg

this bugged me so much. Just 20 minutes ago they showed the ballistas to have incredible range, accuracy and power and now in this scene Cersei could have just ended it right then and there but nope

Is it my imagination or did Ghost shrink considerably this season. Before the direwolves were the size of large lions or even bigger and now they are just big dogs, I'm pretty sure there are real world dogs bigger than what Ghost looked like in this episode. 

26 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Is it my imagination or did Ghost shrink considerably this season. Before the direwolves were the size of large lions or even bigger and now they are just big dogs, I'm pretty sure there are real world dogs bigger than what Ghost looked like in this episode. 

Ghost was always smaller than the other dire wolves, he was the runt.

So no one wants to consider that the reason Dany brought so few troops was because it was just a token negotiation? She even said she’d do it so it looked like she had tried every option. 

And if we’re going to nitpick medieval military tactics then shouldn’t we assume that Dany was there under some sort of white banner to attempt to discuss terms? Something even Cersai would honor by not just slaughtering them.  Like Skillz said, if we’re going to nitpick then at least let’s do it smartly. 

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

Something even Cersai would honor by not just slaughtering them.

This is what I told myself when I saw it live. But at the same time, she basically blew up the pope and all of his cardinals, her son's wife and queen, all the people attending that sunday's mass, and people who were just in the area.  Cersei could have won right there and she is evil enough to do it. 

God forbid anyone criticizes the show...

So Cersei was totally fine with executing Danaerys’s maiden during this so called white banner negotiation, but oh no, she has the honor to not just waste her biggest threat standing there demanding total surrender.

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

Dany is one bad day away from saying “Burn them. Burn them all.” I’ll be shocked if someone close to her doesn’t put her down by the end. 

She lost a dragon, her best friend, her closest confidant, half her army, AND found out she no longer has claim to the throne... that bad day is here. 

At this point after every crazy thing Cersei has done, I also have a hard time believing she wouldn't have just wasted Dany and her dragon right then and there.   I think the scene would have been more believable if they didn't have Dany and the dragon there at all.

Just now, DarkStar189 said:

At this point after every crazy thing Cersei has done, I also have a hard time believing she wouldn't have just wasted Dany and her dragon right then and there.   I think the scene would have been more believable if they took Dany and the dragon out of the scene all rogether.

Or maybe have added in Dany's CGI army so they looked at least a little bit formidable, and not beggars looking for change. 

22 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Or maybe have added in Dany's CGI army so they looked at least a little bit formidable, and not beggars looking for change. 

or just set them back farther, maybe at the treeline. I know they needed to be close enough so Dany could see what happened with her advisor for thematic reasons but if she is close enough to see someone get their head lopped off you are in range of the those ballistas