Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

This is pretty much the episode where I can't take the show seriously anymore.  The massive dropoff in writing quality these past few seasons due to no books to adapt and GRRM leaving the show is very evident to me now.  But it'll still be worth it just to see fucking Cersei get what's coming to her.

• Guillotine 3

2 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

This is pretty much the episode where I can't take the show seriously anymore.  The massive dropoff in writing quality these past few seasons due to no books to adapt and GRRM leaving the show is very evident to me now.  But it'll still be worth it just to see fucking Cersei get what's coming to her.

This was a great episode lol 

I thought it was one of the better episodes to date recently... the show got away from the supernatural stuff and went back to the actual political intrigue and once again proved that man is is own worst enemy. I felt like no characters were safe and that any one of them could get it at any moment... particularly

Breanne or Jamie (Thought either one of them could kill the other)

Jamie or Tyrion  (Had no idea what Bronn was gonna do... he was clearly fed up with their shit)

Varys (I thought that he was gonna turn around and Dany and Grey Worm would be standing their and OFF with his head)

Tyrion again ( I was pretty sure Cersei was gonna have him skewered... at this point I doubt if she really wants to kill him)

This was definitely a strong episode once the celebration was over. Jon is still an idiot.

Also, the naval slaughter was horrendous. It made the battle of Winterfell seem downright tactical. Let's all just drop anchor. No scout ships. And oh, if you're a dragon, you're only allowed to fly directly at ships with harpoons on the front. You wouldn't want to use flying, you know, to your advantage or anything. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Does Arya's many faces have to be only dead people? I can't recall. It would be great to see Jaime gut Cersei as the real Jaime walks into the room. 

I think she’s going to kill Dany and somebody else will kill Cersei 

Yeah, the face has to be dead.  

Just like the last episode, I think all of the plot points in this episode could have been great if they had breathing room, but they don't.

What if we betrayed our Queen based on minutes old information?  Let's seriously debate this now.

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

Just like the last episode, I think all of the plot points in this episode could have been great if they had breathing room, but they don't.

What if we betrayed our Queen based on minutes old information?  Let's seriously debate this now.

That's the main problem with this shortened season - everything is going to be condensed to a completely infuriating degree.

10 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

There is no way in hell that guy should be anywhere near real power and authority.  None whatsoever!

Christ, if breathing wasn't an automatic physiological function, I'm pretty sure he'd forget to do it.

I liked that Varys said she's too strong for him. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten himself kille... oh wait :p

2 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Also, the naval slaughter was horrendous. It made the battle of Winterfell seem downright tactical. Let's all just drop anchor. No scout ships. And oh, if you're a dragon, you're only allowed to fly directly at ships with harpoons on the front. You wouldn't want to use flying, you know, to your advantage or anything. 

I literally said “jeezes, fuck! They deserve to be slaughtered” during the scene

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I think it would depend on the information. 

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

Have there been two actors with less chemistry that Harrington and Clarke?  Whenever they say how much they love each other I remember that's supposed to be a thing in this show.  

Trump and Melania, but they’re not actors

Just now, johnny said:

I think it would depend on the information. 

Sure, but not in this context.  Varys and Tyrion are not idiots, even if they accept the information to be true because they know about Bran, it's not like the rest of the world is going to buy it or really care.  

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

Sure, but not in this context.  Varys and Tyrion are not idiots, even if they accept the information to be true because they know about Bran, it's not like the rest of the world is going to buy it or really care.  

But the North and everybody who works with him loves Jon. It would be an easy sell. 

3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

He's a guy, he's a Westerosi born and raised, and The Lords of Westeros WOULD use the information whether they believed it or not. Plus at least partial proof is at The Citadel. 

I kinda find Bronn to be out of character. Not exactly, as he seems more like season one Bronn, but he was too heroic IMO the past few seasons. 

The Boat shit was dumb. Dany's and Jon's uses of dragons has been fucking awful. I hate the dragons and I was happy when the one died. 

Why not kill Dany at the gate?

32 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Sansa proves that she's the only legitimate ruler in this entire kingdom.

Quoting again because your other post was basically prophetic and I wonder if this will be as well. 

11 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I mean, there seemed to be major time jumps of days or weeks so not sure if it was minutes old to the characters. 

34 minutes ago, johnny said:

This was a great episode lol 

It's just dumb decision after dumb decision from characters who should know better but don't, and a lot of far fetch moments happening because plot and such. Brianne shouldn't have banged Jamie (good moment for Jamie, TERRIBLE moment for Brianne), Jon's way of handling the complications with Dany were hilarious and I'm not sure how much of it was intentional or not, the cringe dialogue between Gendry and Arya, Dany is flying miles above the ocean and somehow Euron's fleet stealth kills her dragon, Tyrion walking up to Cersei, Missandrei not even attempting to throw Cersei off the wall before what everyone knows is going to happen happens, etc.  And that was just this episode.  I's pretty clear to me that the show writers are struggling with landing this thing.  I sort of expected that, but not to this degree.  What I loved about earlier seasons was the lack of these dumb moments, but they've been incrementally happening more since season 6 or so.  It is what it is.  

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought it was one of the better episodes to date recently... the show got away from the supernatural stuff and went back to the actual political intrigue and once again proved that man is is own worst enemy. I felt like no characters were safe and that any one of them could get it at any moment... particularly

Breanne or Jamie (Thought either one of them could kill the other)

Jamie or Tyrion  (Had no idea what Bronn was gonna do... he was clearly fed up with their shit)

Varys (I thought that he was gonna turn around and Dany and Grey Worm would be standing their and OFF with his head)

Tyrion again ( I was pretty sure Cersei was gonna have him skewered... at this point I doubt if she really wants to kill him)

This was definitely a strong episode once the celebration was over. Jon is still an idiot.

There was definitely a feeling of unease during the early moments of the dinner scene.   But in retrospect it's mostly because you can just never trust a feast scene in GoT/ASOIAF.  There were a few truly surprising moments, but a lot of it felt to me like the writers were addressing/possibly using fan theories posted online.  I gotta wonder if it's possible GRRM is taking forever with the books since leaving the show over creative differences in season 4 because he wants to see how they handle fleshing out his sketch for the plot and the audience reactions before possibly changing up the story in the books.  It might even make the books better to some extent (if the ever come out, etc).

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I kinda find Bronn to be out of character. Not exactly, as he seems more like season one Bronn, but he was too heroic IMO the past few seasons. 

The Boat shit was dumb. Dany's and Jon's uses of dragons has been fucking awful. I hate the dragons and I was happy when the one died. 

Why not kill Dany at the gate?

Quoting again because your other post was basically prophetic and I wonder if this will be as well. 

I mean, there seemed to be major time jumps of days and weeks so not sure if it was minutes old to the characters. 

What did Bronn ever do that was heroic or selfless?

I think one of the things the show does a bad job communicating that the books do much better with is showing just how little the average person in Westeros gives a flying fuck about any of this.  They didn't care that a Baratheon was suddenly on the throne, they didn't care that Cersei was suddenly queen, they almost certainly wouldn't care if Dany or Jon took the throne.  Bloodlines and succession and all that doesn't mean a thing to them.

Yeah, the northerners like Jon now, but lets not forget that this is the same guy that got knifed in the heart by his own homies for making choices they didn't like.  The show is working overtime lately to paint him as the natural, lovable leader but he's always been the kind of person who loses the support of over half the people in the room because of honor or some other nonsense.  

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What did Bronn ever do that was heroic or selfless?

Saved Jamie and Shot a Dragon. Fought for Tyrion. And I get that he always does shit for money so it isn't selfless, but you can still be heroic while wanting to get paid.

Edit: He just seemed much more vicious this time and I didn't like that. 

I think one of the things the show does a bad job communicating that the books do much better with is showing just how little the average person in Westeros gives a flying fuck about any of this.  They didn't care that a Baratheon was suddenly on the throne, they didn't care that Cersei was suddenly queen, they almost certainly wouldn't care if Dany or Jon took the throne.  Bloodlines and succession and all that doesn't mean a thing to them.

Yeah, the northerners like Jon now, but lets not forget that this is the same guy that got knifed in the heart by his own homies for making choices they didn't like.  The show is working overtime lately to paint him as the natural, lovable leader but he's always been the kind of person who loses the support of over half the people in the room because of honor or some other nonsense.  

If Dany slaughtered all those people in Kings Landing I think it would give the people a reason to give a fuck. If they removed Cersei without a ton of innocents dying I agree I don’t think it would be a big deal to the common folk. 

Also, I love that Sansa tries to play like the Northern armies are tired.  From what, four hours of fighting?  They probably spent more time building elaborate funeral pyres than they did swinging swords.

Many are likely injured and not in the most ideal state to fight in another battle