Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Imagine if Zombie Rickon would have been chasing Sansa in the crypt.

That entire sequence would have been a LOT better if there weren't a ton of zombie Starks and only one zombie Rickon. Watching Sansa take him out could have been an emotional draining scene.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

According to the GOT wiki, his flame being blue is a result of him being corrupted by the Night King's magic since Dragon's themselves are supernatural in nature.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Viserion

On another note I just started the episode up and the opening shot that establishes where everyone is shows you where the entrance to the God's Wood is in relation to the courtyard and the rest of the castle. Viserion was indeed guarding the entrance and Jon was right outside of it. 

Also I can't help but wonder if Ed would still be alive if he wasn't saving Sam's tubby ass :p

Grey Worm and the Unsullied protecting the retreat... fucking awesome.

I thought the show runners flat out stated that he’s not an ice dragon but is a wight?

39 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That entire sequence would have been a LOT better if there weren't a ton of zombie Starks and only one zombie Rickon. Watching Sansa take him out could have been an emotional draining scene.

Right. It could have been like that scene from the Pilot of The Walking Dead where the guy had to shoot his wife. 

But in general it seemed like they really weren’t going for those kind of feels. That episode could have very easily had as much waterworks as End Game

Rewatching it, I don't see any indication that Jon sees anything of note other than the dragon. If there was just a second that looked like him tracking someone running around the courtyard, I would buy that he was trying to distract for Arya. 

The music in this episode was amazing... aside from that last sequence with the Night King and Bran, I liked the revised versions they did of scores we heard before... Arya's theme when she starts to fight, Mellesandre's theme when she lights the trench on fire and again when she walks to her death at the end. The Unsullied, theme... the music on this show puts a lot of films to shame.

I really didn’t like this episode much. The killing of the Night King was great, some of the battle moments were good like the shot of the Dothraki swords being extinguished. But overall it was kinda shoulder shruggy for me. But I think the Night King worked better as a looming threat than the actual bad guy.

What level D&D Rogue is Arya Stark? (Game Informer)

It might be the most pressing issue of the week. If Arya Stark were a D&D character, what level would she be? How many experience points would she need to have earned to accomplish her most heroic of acts? It's a tough conundrum, but together, we can solve for it, so we can all find the peace of mind we so richly deserve. Come with me on this thought exercise, which as I'm sure you'll see, is completely accurate, without logical fault, and both definitive and authoritative.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

What level D&D Rogue is Arya Stark? (Game Informer)

It might be the most pressing issue of the week. If Arya Stark were a D&D character, what level would she be? How many experience points would she need to have earned to accomplish her most heroic of acts? It's a tough conundrum, but together, we can solve for it, so we can all find the peace of mind we so richly deserve. Come with me on this thought exercise, which as I'm sure you'll see, is completely accurate, without logical fault, and both definitive and authoritative.

Rewatched it again tonight... it's definitely not as dark as it was before which is not necessarily a good thing. Some of the compositing is really obvious when they brightened it up. Also Jon definitely DID NOT see Arya and yell "go". Nothing in his performance indicated that he saw anything other than that Dragon.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Rewatched it again tonight... it's definitely not as dark as it was before which is not necessarily a good thing. Some of the compositing is really obvious when they brightened it up. Also Jon definitely DID NOT see Arya and yell "go". Nothing in his performance indicated that he saw anything other than that Dragon.

wrong election 2016 GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Don’t ruin this for me. Its a cool idea. 

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I also rewatched it last night. I'm surprised by how much they brightened the episode. I don't think that was really necessary. I was more concerned with the horrible compression and calibration. GoT has had many dark episodes. This may have been the darkest, but the darkness of it wasn't the problem for me.

That said, let me throw a wrench in there. I asked my wife what she thought Jon was screaming without coloring her and she thought he was screaming go. However, she also thought he was only screaming go because Jon was telling Mr Zombie Dragon to go ahead and finish him off. She was of the opinion that Theon's last stand had given Arya the opening the sneak in unnoticed.

13 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The music in this episode was amazing... aside from that last sequence with the Night King and Bran, I liked the revised versions they did of scores we heard before... Arya's theme when she starts to fight, Mellesandre's theme when she lights the trench on fire and again when she walks to her death at the end. The Unsullied, theme... the music on this show puts a lot of films to shame.

Sapochnik episodes always have stellar music

I often put YouTube on in the BG while doing work (answering emails or doing billing, etc) or at the gym. Been putting on some random GoT channels that keep being recommended... apparently there’s a theory that Bran is secretly working for TNK since TNK touched him (“how does he turn Crastor’s babies into WW? He touches them! How did he turn Viserion into a wight? He touched him!”) and now he “put his mind/himself” inside of Arya right before she stabbed him to turn her into a sleeper agent, and right before the show ends you’re going to see her walking behind some main character like Jon and her eyes turning blue... :lol:  and that’s just ONE of the many tinfoil hat theories I’ve heard since Sunday’s ep :lol: 

The Cinematographer For Sunday's Episode Says "You're Watching it wrong" :p

Winter has well and truly arrived in Game of Thrones, with the first half of this week’s episode – which showed the Battle of Winterfell – enshrouded in darkness. Such was the depth of gloom, in fact, that some viewers are up in arms about the darkness of the episode, with many saying they struggled to see anything at all.

But Fabian Wagner, the cinematographer behind the episode, claims the problem lies not with the production team but with viewers’ own television setups. “A lot of the problem is that a lot of people don’t know how to tune their TVs properly,” he says. “A lot of people also unfortunately watch it on small iPads, which in no way can do justice to a show like that anyway.”

• Guillotine 2

I saw that and he's full of shit. I can watch and play all sorts of crazy dark movies and games on my TV and it's not an issue. The issue wasn't the darkness. It was literally blotchy and blurry and looked like an animated GIF at times. Some of that was probably Comcast, but that dopens't take away from how bad the episode looked.

Well he’s not all the way wrong. Most people don’t know how to tune their TVs. And I rewatched it on demand and then again my DVR copy to compare. The compression is most certainly cleaned up but I don’t think they actually brightened it a ton. Def a little but not a crazy amount. I think the cleaning up of the compression clears things up so much and makes it easier to see so it adds to appearing brighter. My two viewings I liken to my viewing of theatrical Kingdom of Heaven and DC Kingdom of Heaven. That’s how much my opinion rose. 

A couple of the technical groups I belong to on Facebook are discussing the Dark issue with the episode. Apparently your mileage varied depending on how you watched it. Folks who watched it through the streaming app on Xbox seemed to have the least amount of problems. Everyone agrees it's HBO's compression techniques and not the Cinematographer though.

9 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Arya's dagger, the catspaw, was featured in one of those books Sam read at the Citadel. I wonder if we will hear more about that blade in an upcoming episode.

Here you go

At the Citadel, in Oldtown, Samwell Tarly studies a book about the Long Night. While reading, Sam lingers on a page detailing the use of dragonglass to decorate weapons. The page contains a drawing of the Valyrian steel dagger: The Valyrians were familiar with dragonglass long before they came to Westeros. They called it "zīrtys perzys" which translated to “frozen fire” in Valyrian and eastern tales tell of how their dragons would thaw the stone with dragonflame until it became molten and malleable. The Valyrians then used it to build their strange monuments and building without seams and joints of our modern castles.

When Aegon the conqueror forged his Seven Kingdoms, he and his descendants would often decorate their blades with dragonglass feeling a kinship with the stone. The royal fashion for dragonglass ornamentation soon spread throughout the Seven Kingdoms to those wealthy enough to afford it. Hilts and pommels were and are the most common decoration for dragonglass if too brittle to make a useful crossguard. Indeed, its very brittleness is what relegate it to the great houses and the most successful merchants.