Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm rewatching the series. Relive all the heartbreak again. 

Man, this first episode looks and feels so different.

Same. It’s also amazing how much younger they all look. Jamie and Tyrion both look a lot more than 8 years younger than they are now.

So, I see some people pointed out that when Jon stands up and starts screaming he's actually yelling "Go". It does sound like it and immediately afterwards you see the rush of wind past the other walkers. That means he was being a distraction to let Arya get by. That makes his scream make a ton more sense here.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

So, I see some people pointed out that when Jon stands up and starts screaming he's actually yelling "Go". It does sound like it and immediately afterwards you see the rush of wind past the other walkers. That means he was being a distraction to let Arya get by. That makes his scream make a ton more sense here.

I couldn't see any of that because of the compression before!

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The only problem I have with that theory is that just before that, Bran looks over the Night King's shoulder and clearly sees something, before the Night King starts reaching for his Sword. That tells me that Arya was already in the God's Wood at that point... it could also mean that Bran knew Arya was coming and that he was looking in that direction and didn't necessarily see her. it does sound like Jon says "go!" and it would make his stupid decision to yell at undead Viseron more justifiable. One other thing, when Jorah and Danerys were fighting the Wights, Dany COULD have just stepped into one of the plumes of flame... none of the undead would have been able to touch her then... Jorah would have still been fucked though :p

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The only problem I have with that theory is that just before that, Bran looks over the Night King's shoulder and clearly sees something, before the Night King starts reaching for his Sword. That tells me that Arya was already in the God's Wood at that point... it could also mean that Bran knew Arya was coming and that he was looking in that direction and didn't necessarily see her. it does sound like Jon says "go!" and it would make his stupid decision to yell at undead Viseron more justifiable. One other thing, when Jorah and Danerys were fighting the Wights, Dany COULD have just stepped into one of the plumes of flame... none of the undead would have been able to touch her then... Jorah would have still been fucked though :p

If Bran looking behind the Night King is the only thing that breaks that theory then I'd be perfectly fine with assuming Bran "saw" that Arya was coming, even if he couldn't literally see her. It would be nice if next week's episode started with a recap of everything from Arya's perspective. I get why you'd want to surprise the viewer in the now, but the deed has been done and I'd love to see how she pulled it off.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

If Bran looking behind the Night King is the only thing that breaks that theory then I'd be perfectly fine with assuming Bran "saw" that Arya was coming, even if he couldn't literally see her. It would be nice if next week's episode started with a recap of everything from Arya's perspective. I get why you'd want to surprise the viewer in the now, but the deed has been done and I'd love to see how she pulled it off.

Yeah it does work with Bran just "Knowing" she was coming. He was warging the majority of the fight and could have been observing to make sure all the pieces were in place OR he could have been helping in someway without the others knowing. I don't think he was watching End Game like some have suggested :p

Seeing a recap from Arya's perspective would be cool and I hope we do, but I kinda doubt it. Has the show done anything like that before?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah it does work with Bran just "Knowing" she was coming. He was warging the majority of the fight and could have been observing to make sure all the pieces were in place OR he could have been helping in someway without the others knowing. I don't think he was watching End Game like some have suggested :p

Seeing a recap from Arya's perspective would be cool and I hope we do, but I kinda doubt it. Has the show done anything like that before?

I don't recall. I swear we've seen the same event happen from multiple perspectives before, but it doesn't matter to me. The death of the Night king seems like such a major event that it would really suck if we don't get to see everything that went in to making it happening.

I can buy that theory. But I also didn’t have a problem with Jon standing up and screaming at the dragon. I took it more as him accepting his fate and screaming definitely in the face of certain death. Better to go out sword in hand, facing your enemy than be killed hiding behind a wall. 

But i also buy in that Bran saw this future. I think he knew Theon needed to charge to buy Aria more time to get there. How close was Jon to Aria? Was he at the entrance to the wood? Otherwise him yelling Go would only make sense if there was some grand secret plan that relied on internal clocks to pull off, which seems like a stretch. 

33 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I can buy that theory. But I also didn’t have a problem with Jon standing up and screaming at the dragon. I took it more as him accepting his fate and screaming definitely in the face of certain death. Better to go out sword in hand, facing your enemy than be killed hiding behind a wall. 

But i also buy in that Bran saw this future. I think he knew Theon needed to charge to buy Aria more time to get there. How close was Jon to Aria? Was he at the entrance to the wood? Otherwise him yelling Go would only make sense if there was some grand secret plan that relied on internal clocks to pull off, which seems like a stretch. 

He was right out side the God's Wood... Zombie Viseron seemed to be there to prevent anyone from getting to Bran so that the Night King could kill him. As far as Jon goes, if he was going to go out fighting, I would have loved to see him preparing to charge Viseron despite knowing he was going to die rather than shouting at him like a spoiled child. it's a minor nitpick though.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He was right out side the God's Wood... Zombie Viseron seemed to be there to prevent anyone from getting to Bran so that the Night King could kill him. As far as Jon goes, if he was going to go out fighting, I would have loved to see him preparing to charge Viseron despite knowing he was going to die rather than shouting at him like a spoiled child. it's a minor nitpick though.

It legit bothered me that when both Rhaegal and Drogon had their teeth sunk into Viserion “dracarys” wasn’t shouted for them both to cover him in flames and destroy his wight-ass.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

It legit bothered me that when both Rhaegal and Drogon had their teeth sunk into Viserion “dracarys” wasn’t shouted for them both to cover him in flames and destroy his wight-ass.

They probably weren't able to do it... they seem to have to "take a breath" before blowing fire. That didn't bother me.

I did love that Viserion was “leaking” fire out of the holes in his neck. That was a pretty cool touch. 

And i get wanting to see Jon do more but I don’t know that “spoiled child” is the vibe I got lol. 

So I’m rewatching On Demand. The banding is cleaned up and it’s a much clearer picture. I bumped my settings a little and with a second viewing I’m follwoktn everything way more clearly than the first time. Already picking up on a lot I missed. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I did love that Viserion was “leaking” fire out of the holes in his neck. That was a pretty cool touch. 

And i get wanting to see Jon do more but I don’t know that “spoiled child” is the vibe I got lol. 

So I’m rewatching On Demand. The banding is cleaned up and it’s a much clearer picture. I bumped my settings a little and with a second viewing I’m follwoktn everything way more clearly than the first time. Already picking up on a lot I missed. 

I gotta rewatch it as well.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I dunno... would fire even HURT a dragon? Undead or Otherwise? 

It’s a wight, so it should...? The theory surrounding Viserion’s fire being blue is that it was surrounded in magic to protect him from killing himself each time he breathed fire.

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a wight, so it should...? The theory surrounding Viserion’s fire being blue is that it was surrounded in magic to protect him from killing himself each time he breathed fire.

I was going with the theory that his fire was blue because a) it visually separates him from the other dragons allowing the viewers to quickly determine which dragon it is, and b) it looks cool.

5 minutes ago, number305 said:

I was going with the theory that his fire was blue because a) it visually separates him from the other dragons allowing the viewers to quickly determine which dragon it is, and b) it looks cool.

Maybe it’s blue because the flame is hotter than the other dragons! :o 

:p 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Maybe it’s blue because the flame is hotter than the other dragons! :o 

:p 

Lol.  I am pretty sure it was a design decision...

However if you think about it blue flames are usually produced when there is an increased oxygen supply.  Since this dragon was a zombie and does not need to breathe it's exhalations would have a higher oxygen content than a living dragon (since the living dragon would supposedly use oxygen in it's lungs and expel carbon dioxide like us).  Probably not enough of a difference to that dramatically change the flame color but its a shot.  

Or the Night King could have given the dragon dentyne ice.  

• Haha 1

Ok just finished. Some things I noticed. 

Jon doesn’t really sit around for very long. He jumps into the fight right after Danyrs.

He goes white walkers as soon as he seems them. 

That ice storm I think blows him way out of the fight. 

There aren’t as many “overwhelmed” moments where u think a character is going to die as I thought there were the first time through. 

Melissandra’s actual purpose is to motivate Aria and remind her of her path. (I initially thought she was kinda useless) in fact it seems the Lord of Light was using his servants to enable Aria to succeed all along. Interesting. 

Theon’s last stand is phenomenal. As is Jorahs. In fact that entire sequence and the different shots with the music is incredible. 

After my initial viewing I thought the show was impressively anticlimactic. Upon rewatch I think it’s simply impressive. In fact I think there’s not much I would have changed. Every part of that episode sticks with me. Every part is memorable in some way. The more I think about it the more I loved it. I think if you remove head cannon expectations you can really appreciate the brilliance of the episode. 

Its kind of the opposite of Endgame. Which blew me away upon leaving the theater but the more time passes and the more I think about it the LESS impressive and LESS memorable I think it really was. 

2 minutes ago, number305 said:

Lol.  I am pretty sure it was a design decision...

However if you think about it blue flames are usually produced when there is an increased oxygen supply.  Since this dragon was a zombie and does not need to breathe it's exhalations would have a higher oxygen content than a living dragon (since the living dragon would supposedly use oxygen in it's lungs and expel carbon dioxide like us).  Probably not enough of a difference to that dramatically change the flame color but its a shot.  

Or the Night King could have given the dragon dentyne ice.  

I mean, yea, it was almost def a design decision without actual story/world reasoning, but, if we’re going to put a world-based reasoning behind it the “protection magic” is as good as any :p  

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, yea, it was almost def a design decision without actual story/world reasoning, but, if we’re going to put a world-based reasoning behind it the “protection magic” is as good as any :p  

According to the GOT wiki, his flame being blue is a result of him being corrupted by the Night King's magic since Dragon's themselves are supernatural in nature.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Viserion

The majority of Viserion's scales were golden, with cream colored markings under his neck and tail, and white horns and spines. His wings were red orange, with black tints along the bones. He had green eyes.

After becoming an ice dragon, Viserion's eyes turn blue, characteristic of White Walkers and their wights. His scales have seemingly lost their golden color, now appearing more deathly blue, his wings are torn and tattered in several places, and his horns have lost their bony color and resemble the white icicles crowning his master. Given the supernatural nature of dragons, this may be his body reacting to the Night King's magic.

As an ice dragon (although different from the ones of legend), he breathes fire that is capable of melting the Wall, though it is blue in color.

On another note I just started the episode up and the opening shot that establishes where everyone is shows you where the entrance to the God's Wood is in relation to the courtyard and the rest of the castle. Viserion was indeed guarding the entrance and Jon was right outside of it. 

Also I can't help but wonder if Ed would still be alive if he wasn't saving Sam's tubby ass :p

Grey Worm and the Unsullied protecting the retreat... fucking awesome.